Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Amp and Quality speakers  (Read 5511 times)

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
Re: Amp and Quality speakers
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 08:18:16 AM »

Rockford doesn't offer anything in the class of the 165KRC.

You need to compare apples to apples. The 165KRC speakers are $680/set retail (and you can't find them discounted). The Imagine series from HAT go for $250/set retail. The Imagine series are not in the same "line" as the KRC. If you are in the price range of the 165KRC, I would NOT do a coax setup. I would go for component speakers (as we've discussed). Replace the factory tweeters in the fairing (either in stock housing or a custom mount) with component tweeters and run the woofer component in place of the factory coax speaker.

Saying you want "the best" is mostly an arbitrary statement. I mean ... you could pop for a set of Focal 165 W-RC components but get ready to drop $3K-$4K on a single set. Is that "the best"? Who knows ... if your ears and wallet say it is ... then it is. Here is the breakdown of speakers I would recommend you audition. They are all component speakers ranging from midrange to mid-high end to high end. The 165KRC are not on the list as they are a coax setup. Set your budget on what a set of speakers are worth to you, then go listen to them. If you have a "price is no object" budget .... then there are others I can add to the list as well  ;)

All prices are MSRP:

Focal:
165 KR2    $949
165 KRX2  $1199

Hertz:
HSK-165    $499

JL-Audio:
C5-650     $499
ZR-650csi $999

Hybrid Audio Technologies:
Unity         $350
Clarus        $550
Legatia Pro SE  $1300

I have the bottom setup (Legatia/Clarus) on my bike. The Legatia's are a bitch to fit (7.1" woofer and 53mm tweeter). I have the Clarus drivers in the lowers. I would be hesitant to install the Clarus line in the fairing (as much as I like them) as they are pretty heavy. ALL of the above are great speakers. You really need to listen to them and decide what sounds best to you. Just make sure you keep apples in the same basket as other apples :)

I had my new neighbor over (finally) Sat night. He has a 2011 standard Street Glide. I turned my system on and he couldn't believe it. Said he had been to LOTS of shows and bike weeks, has buddy's who have wrapped thousands up in audio, and had never heard anything like it. And I have dual RF-300/4 running everything.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 08:20:49 AM by TIF2 »
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

trahog

• Elite CVO Member
  • Living life
    • FL

• CVO1: 2000 screaming eagle road glide
    • CVO2: 2005 screaming eagle v-rod 2009 cvo road Glide 2011cvo street glide
    • CVO3: 2015 cvo street glide
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 01:32:55 PM »

Ok I'm set on the amp.Rockford fosgate ,now have to decide on the speakers.If I went with what you have in the lowers what would you recommend for the tweeters and fairing speakers.with a harness you can make that would be simple for me to install.

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 02:46:10 PM »

Are you wanting full range in the lowers or just wanting to drive a mid-woofer?

Unfortunately (for your wallet ;) ) - you've heard a really good set of speakers (Focal KRC).
In my opinion, I think you'd be blown away by the following combo's (depending on what your budget is):

Focal:
165KR
165KRC (lowers)

JL Audio:
C5-650 (fairing)
TR-650 (lowers)

Hertz:
HSK-165 (fairing)
HCX-165 (lowers)

HAT:
Unity (fairing)
Imagine (lowers)

Emerald Ice on the board has a similar Focal setup and after speaking with him he is very pleased (Alpine amp).
mjb765 on the board has the HAT setup and he is very pleased (Arc125.2 amp)

I would recommend a HAT Unity (fairing) and Clarus (lowers) combo, but the Clarus require about a 1/8" spacer to fit in the lowers due to magnet size. I would PM Emerald Ice and mjb765 and see if they would buy the same setup again. That should give you a great indicator. Also, in the case of JL Audio and others (where applicable) I dropped a "line" or two in order to grab a complimenting speaker in a coax arrangement for the lowers. Dealing with components in the lowers is a hassle (cross-over mounts, tweeter placment, etc.) The exception here is the Focal 165KRC - it's a coax speaker with an external x-over but the x-over is small enough that is can go in the fairing.

I'll send you a PM with my number so we can discuss in greater (excruciating. if needed) detail.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 03:44:07 PM by TIF2 »
TIF2

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2012, 03:47:12 PM »

Just FYI ...

I updated my Focal combo set above. I did a little more research and found that the KR2 series from Focal are 2ohm impedance.
Definitley a no-no to wire these in parallel (ala using existing SESG2/3 wiring for fairing and lowers). Need the KR series of components for the fairing.
TIF2

trahog

• Elite CVO Member
  • Living life
    • FL

• CVO1: 2000 screaming eagle road glide
    • CVO2: 2005 screaming eagle v-rod 2009 cvo road Glide 2011cvo street glide
    • CVO3: 2015 cvo street glide
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2012, 07:00:18 AM »

Thanks,I'm having a hard time finding any to listen to around here,i ordered the crutchfield magazine.One question when I look on the net they keep saying car speakers are they waterproof?I can only find 3 sets that say for M/C
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 20 queries.