Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Bike wobble at high speeds  (Read 16862 times)

2006ULTRA

• Full CVO Member
Bike wobble at high speeds
« on: March 09, 2012, 10:16:58 PM »

I've read a lot of posts about a wobble at speeds under 50 mph on deceleration. My bike doesn't do that.  My problem is at higher speeds when I'm running through the gears.  It's happened 3 times out of maybe 10 times.  I feel the handle bars start moving side to side like I'm hydroplaning and the back end starts to move side to side.

I checked tire pressure. Good
I'm not missing any wheel weights on the front tire.  My rear tire has NO weights at all?  Doesn't appear that there ever was any.

I did the test with the handle bars on the bike jack.  Turned all the way left and let go.  The bars went all the way to the right; back past center and then settled in the center.

My grease serk in the goose neck is dry so maybe there isn't enough grease??

I'm wondering why my rear rim has no balancing weights?  Does anyone else have no weights for balancing on the rear?
2011 SESG
121rwhp and 124tq
Woods TW-9B cams
Ported Head
D&D FatCat Performance Baffle
Thundermax

dirtdobber

• Full CVO Member
Re: Bike wobble at high speeds
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 12:35:34 AM »

It is rare but there are times weights are not needed.
is the bike new or used. Tires came on the bike.
Check the screws for the fairing if they are lose it will and can cause a wobble.

just a thought

dd
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 12:39:52 AM by dirtdobber »
2012 CVO street glide, 2010 Dyna wide glide SS 106

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 04:59:43 AM »

there are various different "wobbles" out there  ;)

The slow speed wobble is mainly a Road Glide specific topic, whereas high speed wobble usually used to happen with the other touring models until the new frame was introduced in 09. Since then, only the Road Glides seem to be still affected in higher numbers.

Standard measures against high speed wobble are fall away test, neck bearing greased and tightened, wheels, pressure (wheel and shocks), engine mounts checked.
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

2006ULTRA

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 08:54:16 AM »

The bike is a 2011 SESG with 1000 miles on it.  I did the fall away test and if anything the neck is too tight but the bars go from all the way left to all the way right then just back past center then rest in the center.  I installed WO 575's so the clutch cable may be a bit tight causing the bars not to turn as easy on the fall away test.

I did have my rear spring adjusted a little to light just to see how the ride would be.  I have set the rear spring according to the manual now.

The grease serk on the neck is dry so I'm going to grease it today before I ride.

The bummer of this deal is there's only one way to see if I cured the problem.  Not looking forward to another ride like I had the other day if it's not cured. :o
2011 SESG
121rwhp and 124tq
Woods TW-9B cams
Ported Head
Thundermax

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 09:54:46 AM »

I can understand your mixed feelings very well  ::)

But the 11 FLHXSE really should not do such a thing, it's a habit of the pre 09 bikes. So it can and has to be cured.
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 11:03:55 AM »

The bike is a 2011 SESG with 1000 miles on it.  I did the fall away test and if anything the neck is too tight but the bars go from all the way left to all the way right then just back past center then rest in the center.  I installed WO 575's so the clutch cable may be a bit tight causing the bars not to turn as easy on the fall away test.

I did have my rear spring adjusted a little to light just to see how the ride would be.  I have set the rear spring according to the manual now.
The grease serk on the neck is dry so I'm going to grease it today before I ride.

The bummer of this deal is there's only one way to see if I cured the problem.  Not looking forward to another ride like I had the other day if it's not cured. :o

I had the same issue. I set the rear springs as per manual for 2 up (cannot remember the setting right now) but the problem has gone away by stiffing up the rear end.

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 09:46:35 PM »

I have no weights on my front wheel and have no problems on my 2011 RGUSE.
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

Monolyth

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Street Glide, Black Diamond
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 02:24:33 PM »

I have this problem on my 2012 Black Diamond Street Glide.  Any turn I take above 90MPH results in a really bad wobble, even changing lanes at 90+ can cause the wobble.  Anyone else seeing this type of issue?

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 08:05:29 PM »

Have someone check the swing arm bushings ?
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

WildWes72

• Git-R-Done....
  • Full CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: CVO Breakout
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 01:41:27 PM »

check it out, I ran across this on youtube a while back and might be something you guys can look into.

2014 CVO Breakout, Sedona
V&H 2-into-2 BCM Baffels
High Comp 10.5: 259 cam
Dynojet PV/Autotune Pro

Paulsmerc

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2010 Fatbob & 2005 Deluxe
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 03:43:49 PM »

I had similar on my Roadking and found the cause to be loose spokes in the rear wheel, had it re-laced and all was fine again.

eleft36

• Full CVO Member
  • Senior Rider
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 05:42:52 PM »

Check the neck bearing adjustment.

Al
2010 CVO 110" Conv. Exhaust, K&N A/C, Stock Heads, SE 103" BB kit, Andrews 26H Cams, Adapted H-D Engine Guard, Mustang wide Touring Seat, Stock Bars, H-D Oil Cooler, 1990 Leather Works Inc. Bags with Deluxe modified guards, H-D Windshield, Thunder Max A/T, '05 CVO Tour Pac, SCRC Chapter 524

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 09:07:19 PM »

My FXR4 CVO is rubber mounted. It has never wobbled in 57,000 miles and had it over 130 several times and frequently 100 plus

TexasBowhunter

• Senior CVO Member
  • 09 Street Glide
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 07:45:01 PM »

I've read a lot of posts about a wobble at speeds under 50 mph on deceleration. My bike doesn't do that.  My problem is at higher speeds when I'm running through the gears.  It's happened 3 times out of maybe 10 times.  I feel the handle bars start moving side to side like I'm hydroplaning and the back end starts to move side to side.

I'm not missing any wheel weights on the front tire.  My rear tire has NO weights at all?  Doesn't appear that there ever was any.

I did the test with the handle bars on the bike jack.  Turned all the way left and let go.  The bars went all the way to the right; back past center and then settled in the center.

My grease serk in the goose neck is dry so maybe there isn't enough grease??

I'm wondering why my rear rim has no balancing weights?  Does anyone else have no weights for balancing on the rear?

So what was your finding and fix to the wobble?
Paul
Ride safe

2006ULTRA

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 06:36:10 PM »

Sorry I've been off the board a while.

I took my bike in to warranty the amp and had them check it over.  They found nothing wrong.

I find that if I open my bat wing vents the bike is more stable.  Bottom line is I just don't go over 75 MPH too much anymore.
2011 SESG
121rwhp and 124tq
Woods TW-9B cams
Ported Head
Thundermax
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 20 queries.