Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Audio Idiot - Help me understand how to install  (Read 9702 times)

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE - 2018 FLHTKSE-ANV (Traded)
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHXSE (Traded) - 2007 FXSTSSE (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2003 100th FLHRCi (Sold) - 2001 FLSTF (Traded)
    • 33 Hotrod Build
Audio Idiot - Help me understand how to install
« on: March 15, 2012, 05:53:07 PM »

This will take 3 posts to describe. I have a 2 channel HW system I am happy with but am trying to ad just a touch more bass. I saw this online at kury model 888, it's made by Kicker.

Finally a subwoofer solution designed to drop into your left
saddlebag turning it into a stealthy enclosure to produce big
bass that’ll have everyone wondering what’s inside.

• 6 ½” diameter, 1 Ohm
• 150 Watts Rms Power Handling
• Mounting Depth Under 3 Inches
• Injection-Molded, Modified-Spoke Cone for Max Excursion
• 360° Cone Bracing; Ribbed Santoprene Surround
• Easily Removable - Fits In Left Side Saddlebag
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 06:40:55 PM by HDNIK »
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• 33 Hotrod Build
Re: Audio Idiot - Help me understand how to install
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 05:54:21 PM »

It get powered by this Kicker PX200.1 mono amp. Suppose to be really good for the size and can be mounted anywhere. Here are specs

Big power with a tiny footprint! Direct amplification
technology for better than 85% efficiency. Designed to
power the Kicker Subwoofer (P/N 888) for optimum
sound output mounting directly on top of the enclosure.

• 200 X 1 Into ½-Ohm Load
• 15 Amps Max Current Draw
• 40-250 Hz Frequency Response
• Selectable Low-Pass Crossover; 100 Hz & 250 Hz, 40 Hz Hi-Pass
• Dual Input Sensitivities & Variable Gain
• Bass Boost, 6Db At 60 Hz
• Selectable Turn On

MODEL: PX200.1

POWER [watts/ch], 0.4 OHM MONO: 200
POWER [watts/ch], 1 OHM MONO: 100
Length: in(mm) 4-3/4 (120.7)
Height: in(mm) 2 (50.6)
Width: in(mm) 3-1/2 (88.2)

FREQUENCY RESPONSE [Hz]: 40-250
SIGNAL-TO-NOISE RATIO: 90dB
COMMON TO ALL MODELS
INPUT SENSITIVITY: 125mV-5V low level, 250mV-10V high level
ELECTRONIC CROSSOVER: (200.1) selectable 100Hz or 250Hz lowpass, 24dB/octave
SUBSONIC FILTER: - (200.1) Fixed at 40Hz, 24dB/octave
BASS BOOST: (200.1) selectable on or off, +6dB centered at 60Hz

« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 06:34:58 PM by HDNIK »
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 05:55:13 PM »

The actual sub is a Kicker CVT651 in the uniquely designed saddle bag base box. Here are specs:

Recommended to work best in an infinite-baffle (free-air) design without any enclosure. Weather-proof for saddle-bag installation on a motorcycle
KICKER now provides legendary bass for powersports enthusiasts who expect and demand only the best equipment when battling the elements. The KICKER CompVT™ CVT651 Shallow-Mount Subwoofer is specifically designed for powerful, loud and clear audio for any activities when powersports vehicles and “toys” clash with the harsh outdoors. The CompVT Subwoofer (1 Ohm impedance) is perfectly suited to pair with KICKER’s new low-draw, low-impedance PX-Series Mono Amplifier.

The weather-proof CompVT is recommended to work best in an infinite-baffle (free-air) design with no enclosure, such as a hard saddlebag or fairing on a motorcycle. Precise KICKER engineering allows the CompVT to pound with limited space. A special four-layer voice coil provides the CompVT the ability to work with serious amounts of power without the bulk. The woofer’s stiff, injection-molded, modified-spoke cone is shaped to provide maximum excursion from a slender basket, allowing the ideal amount of flex for better strength and durability.

Space-saving features make for a woofer with an amazing mounting depth of less than three inches! Internally, a ventless, solid-pole design allows the CompVT to be mounted directly against the rear wall of any small sealed enclosure. The spring-loaded binding posts are mounted differently than standard subwoofers to minimize size. Finally, a handy steel “clearance” adapter plate assists with further minimal spacing concerns.

The cone’s 360-degree back bracing, ribbed Santoprene® surround, and Spiralead™ tinsel-lead technology help the CompVT woofer sound spectacular. Perimeter venting, high-temp coil wire, double-stitching, and a logo trim ring around the steel basket’s outer edges are all features that make KICKER woofers the most reliable and best sounding subwoofers in the world.

Model CVT651

Size (IN.,CM) 6.5, 16.5
Impedance (OHMS) 1 SVC
Max Rec Amplifier Power (WATTS PEAK/RMS)* 300/150
Sensitivity (dB 1w/1m) 84.6
Mounting Depth (IN.,CM) 2 7/8, 7.3
Mounting Diameter (IN.,CM) 5 9/16, 14
Min Rec Sealed Box Volume (CU. FT., Liters) 0.2, 5.66
Max Rec Sealed Box Volume (CU. FT., Liters) 3, 85

« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 06:39:33 PM by HDNIK »
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 05:59:48 PM »

OK. None of the specs mean much to me. I cannot find wiring manuals for them online anywhere so here are my dumb questions:

1. Where does the amp get the signal from?
2. Based on that, where should it be mounted... It says ontop of enclosure but easier in the fairing I assume?
3. I have XM Unit and needed to get the Ultra Overlay Harness. It has a ton of unused plugs. Would that help in any way?
4. I have complete 2 channel Hawg Wired Direct Connect + HW tweeters installed now, so 2 channels on Harley HK head are unused... is that usefull for me in this install?

Like I said... I'm and audio idiot... so talk slow :-X

I'm counting on you all to teach me. TIF2.... are you out there?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 06:41:46 PM by HDNIK »
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 09:49:40 PM »

This will take 3 posts to describe. I have a 2 channel HW system I am happy with but am trying to ad just a touch more bass.

Hmmm ... I certainly don't want to shy good money away from audio mods (lol) but I'm not sure adding this will reap the benefits you're looking for. If all you want is "solid" bass - you're money ahead doing an RF-300/4 in the fairing and doing lid speakers. If you were to put that in the bag ... it will probably sound pretty decent in the parking lot at Quaker Steak on bike night - on the road I doubt you'll even know you installed (hear) it.

I actually bought 2 CVT-651's for install in my lowers. Took me like an hour with each one to trim them enough to get the to fit. Had an RF-300/1 in the fairing (instead of the presently installed (additional) 300/4) dedicated to the subs in the lowers. I found that subs on a bike - while cool for bragging rights (or again, bike nights over beers) - ultimately serve very little purpose on a motorcycle.

If you're dead set on getting this setup then more power to ya brother! I just don't think it will be as good of a return on investment as a factory lid setup using high quaity drivers and an RF-300/4.

Hope this helps ...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 09:51:59 PM by TIF2 »
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 09:59:52 PM »

Just looked this up on Kury's website ... doesn't look like it will be "drop-in":

Fits:
Left side saddlebag on ’06-’11 Electra Glides, Road
Glides, & Street Glides (except '09-’11 FLHTCUTG, ’10-’11 FLHXXX, ’06-’09 FLHT Standard, ’11 FLHXSE, ’11 FLTRUSE)

More trouble and expense than it's worth in my opinion.
But again ... that is just my opinion.
TIF2

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 05:07:26 AM »

To TIF2, Good Morning to you sir! I was hoping you'd opine here.

I've read many threads on this site over the last couple years and have come to highly respect your opinion on matters such as this. You don't know this but I have to say, you just absolutely blew me away just now.

What I didn't say in my opening 3 entries (due to length of them already) was that as I was typing the questions above, I had just gotten off of the phone with a knowledgeable sounding young lad from "hawg wired". No kidding now.... If I were a betting man I'd lay good money on you being that young fellow I was speaking to. He told me nearly word for word the exact same thing. That as good as it may look on paper, I'd get more blast for my buck with lids and speakers. He added a bunch of other stuff I didn't understand about me not being able to determine the presence of bass under (or over... Not sure???) 125 htz or something technical like that.

He went on to describe their new lid solution that is in the their catalogue but not yet up on their site and their new series of amps that would yeild far better "bass for my bucks" . Well he sounded sincere but I sometimes wonder if I'm being serious sold on something because I'm so clueless about this stuff.

You have no skin in this and with your obvious knowledge I was hopping you'd reply... But I had no idea you'd give me the exact same rationale.

Here's the fact. If I could buy color matched HD lids in Spiced Rum, they'd be on order and I'd be asking you what speakers and amp to buy. You had made some great suggestions in another thread I started, but for some reason, 3rd party paint is not sitting right with me. So for now this is not possible.

I will defer to your expertise and save my money.

Thankyou!
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 10:34:08 AM »

Well ... it wasn't me .... but glad I didn't have a dissenting opinion   :)

There are several places you can have Spiced Rum shot - Gunslingers and Paint By Gene are just a couple that I know of. Also have a shop near me that can do it (Boitnotts). I wouldn't let the fact that they are not available from H-D stand in my way.

It's a great mod and the benefits far out-weigh the hassle of sending them out to a shop for paint.

Let us know what you decide to do!
TIF2

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 10:58:22 AM »

Well ... it wasn't me .... but glad I didn't have a dissenting opinion   :)

There are several places you can have Spiced Rum shot - Gunslingers and Paint By Gene are just a couple that I know of. Also have a shop near me that can do it (Boitnotts). I wouldn't let the fact that they are not available from H-D stand in my way.

It's a great mod and the benefits far out-weigh the hassle of sending them out to a shop for paint.

Let us know what you decide to do!

Getting the paint done around here is the issue. Or am I to undersatnd some of these places will paint and ship
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 11:05:03 AM »

Getting the paint done around here is the issue. Or am I to undersatnd some of these places will paint and ship

The places I mentioned will shoot your parts once they receive them from you and then ship back to you. I sent my entire Tour Pak to Gene in Seattle (1800 miles from me) and got perfect results. Also sent him my lids as I bought them before the color-matched were avail from H-D.
TIF2

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 11:30:46 AM »

I had my inner fairing on my 2010 SESG painted by Gunslinger's in Colorado and shipped to me in NY...came out perfect!

Big Dog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 01:20:52 PM »

Can maybe get an idea from the photo what bag space you'd lose with a sub.
Randy D
Kristie D, Angel on my shoulders, October 10, 1973-April 16, 2009

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 03:54:20 PM »

OK TIF2 (btw what's your first name)

Here is the info you sent me on my original thought to add lids. http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=71445.msg986632#msg986632

Also I saw somewhere that you knew of better speakers than the factory ones that will drop right in. Any word on those?

Thanks again
Nick
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 06:36:32 AM »

Hey Nick -

I'm still hoping to have a prototype set of Hybrid Audio Technologies 5x7" lid speakers around mid-May. The initial run will be 4-ohm (I think) with a 2-ohm version to follow. The Biketronics 70.2 amp is designed for a 2-ohm load (which is why I recommended it for factory H-D speakers). If you go with a 4-ohm speaker then I would do a different amp.

Obviously there is a lot more work involved to remove your HW stuff and do a different 4ch amp. If you went with the RF-300/4 I think you would be happy, but you can ONLY use 4-ohm speakers, so that means waiting on the HATs to become available for the lids (if you don't want your bags to leak).

Hope this helps ...
Rich
TIF2

DvlDg29

• '10 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 11:23:32 PM »

I just sent lids out to Gunslingers off a recommendation from this forum. I have a '10 CVO SG in Tequlia Sunrise and they have a lot of experience with the CVO line. Kent was great to work with so far, I'll post pics when all is done.
Semper Fi
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 20 queries.