Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Check Engine Light  (Read 5827 times)

TB

• Full CVO Member
  • Name: TB
Check Engine Light
« on: July 19, 2006, 03:47:21 PM »

I have a condition where the check engine light stays on for 8-10 seconds after the bike is running on my '03 SERK.  Does this mean I have a failure code in the ECM?  Can I read the code with a normal automotive OSB2 reader?
TB
2008 FLHX, 103 Big Bore, SE Air Cleaner and re-map, Klock Werk windshield.
2005 Assembled - Grim Reap'r -100ci RevTech, Prowler frame.
1993 Sportster - Steam Roll'r - 1200cc, 200 front tire, Paucho springer.
more photos at:  www.nccycle.com

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Check Engine Light
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 04:39:52 PM »

I have a condition where the [highlight]check engine light stays on for 8-10 seconds after the bike is running [/highlight]on my '03 SERK.  Does this mean I have a failure code in the ECM?  Can I read the code with a normal automotive OSB2 reader?
TB,

Normally that means you have a historical code (not a current fault, but a record of a previous one).  Historical codes will normally clear themselves after a certain number of engine on and off cycles.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to read the codes on a pre-'04 model.  The OBDII readers for your car won't work on a Harley, and I'm 99.9% certain the speedo won't display codes on pre-'04 models.  The only method I know of to read or clear the codes is to use the scan tool from the dealer.  Anyone else know of another way?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 06:26:09 PM »

You can clear the codes off by simply disconnecting the battery for a decent period, at least in the older models this would clear it since it did not have back up battery. Of course you lost the historical data, but got rid of the nag light and if it was real, the light would reappear anyway.
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

TB

• Full CVO Member
  • Name: TB
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 09:26:18 AM »

I tried last night to read the codes manually on the speedo.  I got a "do1clr" readout and then I could toggle thru do2clr.....to do10clr.  Anyone know what this means?
TB
2008 FLHX, 103 Big Bore, SE Air Cleaner and re-map, Klock Werk windshield.
2005 Assembled - Grim Reap'r -100ci RevTech, Prowler frame.
1993 Sportster - Steam Roll'r - 1200cc, 200 front tire, Paucho springer.
more photos at:  www.nccycle.com

Mikey

• 2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Get the gold, make the rules!

• CVO1: FLHRSEi2 2003
    • CVO2: FLTRUSE 2015
    • Classic Muscle Bikes
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 10:08:50 AM »

I was riding my 03 really hard and the check engine light came on and stayed on. I stopped on the highway checked the oil etc. Then when you turned the ignition on the light would stay on for a while. I went ahead and drove it and by the time I got home, after numerous stops it had cleared and has not acted up since. Must have reset or something.
GET THE GOLD, MAKE THE RULES!
2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
Limited Edition 100th Anniversary
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/gallery/452_21_04_11_11_12_33.jpg

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 10:21:14 AM »

This is what I use to read and clear codes:

http://www.daytona-sensors.com/Twin_Scan.html

It is inexpensive and works very well. It even has a data logging buffer that you can record real time data on the bike as you ride. It was only about $150 for the basic model. An advanced model with af readings is quite a bit more if needed.

hdnut

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 10:19:55 PM »

My light on my seeg when I start it up stays on for about 6 seconds and goes off and comes back on for 4 seconds and goes off again?Should I get this checked? [smiley=pumpkin.gif]
hdnut

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 10:15:20 AM »

My light on my seeg when I start it up stays on for about 6 seconds and goes off and comes back on for 4 seconds and goes off again?Should I get this checked? [smiley=pumpkin.gif]
hdnut,

Follow the process listed on this post  http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1148514037/4#4  and you will be able to tell what's going on.  Since the light doesn't stay on continuously, this appears to be a historical code also.  

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 05:07:09 PM »

I put in a brand new speedo to replace the defective one. The bike was never started at the dealer after the work was done. When it was started at the tuner, the check engine light goes out  like normal. Then I start the bike up after it goes out. The light comes back on for a few secs after starting, then goes back out. It was not doing this prior to having all the work done, and there were never any codes come up on this bike. What would be causing it to happen now? The bike runs and starts fine. Anyone see this before? Thanks.

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 05:18:58 PM »

I put in a brand new speedo to replace the defective one. The bike was never started at the dealer after the work was done. When it was started at the tuner, the check engine light goes out  like normal. Then I start the bike up after it goes out. The light comes back on for a few secs after starting, then goes back out. It was not doing this prior to having all the work done, and there were never any codes come up on this bike. What would be causing it to happen now? The bike runs and starts fine. Anyone see this before? Thanks.

Hoist! 8)
Howie,

When they tried to crank it with the coil wires reversed originally, that should have set codes in the ECM.  If you read the codes I'll bet you get P1356 rear cylinder no combustion and P1353 front cylinder no combustion.  Just clear the codes and you'll be fine.  Not sure why it didn't show up immediately, unless the installation of a new speedo at the same time caused some sort of communications issue. ???

Jerry

hogasm

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 05:23:23 PM »

Hell I think mine is reversed. Bike runs like crap when no light is on and runs like a scalded dog when the light is on. Makes no sense, but I always end up with rear cylinder no combustion code when I check it.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 05:24:48 PM »

Howie,

When they tried to crank it with the coil wires reversed originally, that should have set codes in the ECM.  If you read the codes I'll bet you get P1356 rear cylinder no combustion and P1353 front cylinder no combustion.  Just clear the codes and you'll be fine.  Not sure why it didn't show up immediately, unless the installation of a new speedo at the same time caused some sort of communications issue. ???

Jerry

Thanks Jerry, that would make sense. I didn't think of that. I'll ask Joe to clear it while he's got the bike. :2vrolijk_21: Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 05:28:33 PM »

Thanks Jerry, that would make sense. I didn't think of that. I'll ask Joe to clear it while he's got the bike. :2vrolijk_21: Hoist! 8)

You guys are the best! I just spoke w/Joe. He will check and clear all codes and determine what came up. Thanks Jerry! :2vrolijk_21: Hoist! 8)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2007, 05:35:21 PM »

Hoist! 8)

The other possibility, with a Power Commander, is a code P1004 "System Relay Contacts Closed EFI "which happens when the bike is started with the 9v plugged into the PC. I ran into this while tuning mine. It went away after the normal 50 starts.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2007, 07:00:35 PM »

The other possibility, with a Power Commander, is a code P1004 "System Relay Contacts Closed EFI "which happens when the bike is started with the 9v plugged into the PC. I ran into this while tuning mine. It went away after the normal 50 starts.

You are correct Chief as Joe told me it could be the PC. He knew about the check engine light and everything will be cleared after we're done, as we're still testing. I guess I should'a just asked him first, huh? But I like to know what's going on before I call him. He really appreciates us knowing what's going on. I showed him the site on Sat and he was amazed at how advanced we are. He thinks our group is one of the most valuable resources available on issues, besides our social aspect. He was extremely impressed!

Hoist! 8)

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 20 queries.