Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Author Topic: O2 sensor color doesn't match exhaust valves  (Read 12788 times)

hawgzilla

• Full CVO Member
Re: O2 sensor color doesn't match exhaust valves
« Reply #90 on: April 02, 2012, 01:14:16 PM »

X2-----Finally the voice of common sense.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #91 on: April 02, 2012, 01:42:43 PM »

There are a few ways to resolve this "issue", but first let me say that I have not seen any evidence of anyone bashing another product, only questioning their use of a second party product (Bosch) based on their understanding/expertise on the proper application of said product.  One could certainly read between the lines and come to a different conclusion, but unless I missed something, nobody said anything bad about another manufacturer's product, directly.  That would be, at best, unwise.

So...1) Somebody could produce documentation that proves that Bosch DOES approve of different methodology to properly calibrate their sensors...after all, Bosch does not have a dog in the "tuner" hunt, they just provide a component, properly calibrated from the factory, with recommendations on what NOT to do, based on what I'm reading.  If someone has found an equally viable way of proper calibration, I can't imagine them having an issue with it being done that way, if it in fact works.  Generally speaking, there is usually more than one way to skin a given cat.  2) Somebody could produce documentation from Bosch that says NO other way of calibration is viable, or as accurate, as their methods.  3) Everybody could STFU and get back to the problem at hand, which is the fact that the OP sensors are obviously not optimally placed in the exhaust flow, at least on one pipe.  I'm no tuning Wizard by any stretch of the imagination, but I DO know a little something about proper placement of sensing devices and their importance in the proper operation of whatever logic device they feed data to.  Ideally, the sensor will be placed in a straight run of pipe, midstream.  It CAN make a difference if it is sensing on the inside or outside of a curve, because the flow is likely to be different in those locations.  Insertion depth also makes a big difference.  Both situations are happening in this particular application.  So, whatever can be done to address those two things is what needs to happen, as best as they can be addressed, given the constraints of the application (cramped space on a motorcycle).

:2vrolijk_21:    I believe Steve was right on the money when he mentioned the poor job many pipe companies do with bung location.  Some of these companies make no bones about the fact that they sell based on looks or noise making ability or supposed horsepower gains, and they don't really worry too much about the real science.  You would think they could at least follow the recommendations of the sensor companies for things like depth and angle of the bung, but obviously not.  They don't even have to do the science, just follow the fairly simple instructions Bosch makes available.

As for the debate about modifying someone's product for use in your product, I don't think this is the first time in history that someone has done that.  I haven't taken the time to fully study and understand DTT's or RP's decision to cut off a perfectly good connector provided by Bosch, but as long as they recalibrate the sensor I don't see the big deal.  At the end of the day what's important is whether or not the system works properly.  I haven't seen any evidence in this thread so far, one way or the other, concerning the accuracy of the systems assuming the sensor location in the pipe is correct.  :nixweiss:   Seems to me all the chest thumping and bad mouthing aimed at the guy trying to help is misdirected.  The bad mouthing looks like it should be aimed at the folks at D&D.  If folks have personal issues with the guy trying to help, that's too bad but it isn't helping fix the problem porthole brought to the table.

Good luck getting it running right Duane.  I think all the work you've done bringing this problem to light and posting pics has been of great value to the group, as have the contributions of Steve and glens.  Some of us have learned some good stuff and we appreciate it.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #92 on: April 02, 2012, 04:39:21 PM »

I have never had that happen with the bikes / pipes I have done.  Would love to see Bere tune the D&D vs. someone else tune.   Not saying they can't be close or that there arent exceptions to the rules, but typically its not been what I have run into.

Bere (Gutterridge) did tune this motor with the D&D pipe. Brian worked on her after him. Brian got more out of her. 3 or 4 ft lbs down low and just under 2 hp if I recall correctly. Every motor's different.

Ed Ramberger - One_Screamin_Eagle

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FLTRSEI
Re: o2 sensor color doesn't match exhaust valves
« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2012, 12:20:12 AM »

:2vrolijk_21:
I'm not sure who gave you the above information but it is not correct. At low engine speeds the exhaust comes in pulses and after the main pulse of exhaust travels down the pipe all kinds of things are happening. Have poor sensor position will and does cause just exactly what you are showing. Here is a link to a Bosch catalog that will explain how sensors are to be positions in the exhaust and those sensor you have are made by Bosch so I would follow there recommendations it you want it to work correctly.

http://www.bosch.com.au/content/language1/downloads/Oxgen_Sensor__Cat_WEB.pdf

Go to page D4 and D5 to see how to make the bungs and properly mount your sensors. D4 lower left diagram shows proper installation into the pipe and D5 shows how to make the bung along with proper mounting procedures.
FLTRSEI -Delphi Conversion, 103", 251 cams, Heavy Breather & a couple other little tweaks

buell95

« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2012, 06:23:20 PM »

Been running my rp kit for 1 year now when first installed it wouldnt idle right.
 RP had me send my rush 2-1 header to them they cut and rewelded the 02 bungs to get them
more into the stream, They also had to do this to a d&d exhaust they told me. Bike runs fine now.
 Just call them they will tell you.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #95 on: April 04, 2013, 01:09:32 PM »

The V&H head pipes are in a box and going to Drago's to get bungs installed and ceramic coated.

Hoping for the best which means about a 1000 degrees cooler on the rear pipe and better then 32 MPG.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
« Reply #96 on: April 04, 2013, 11:38:12 PM »

For Steve

With all that's been said here about bung placement and not modifying the 02 sensors.  I am about to convert my 06 CVO Ultra from open to closed loop.  Using the Fullsac "D" Pipe.  So I have the choice of using it with 09 style bungs up high or 10 up bungs at the collector. 

Which would be the preferred method?  I know you list the 09 parts in the TTS Manual for this conversion.

Thanks
Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #97 on: April 05, 2013, 12:47:16 PM »

You have to use the '09 parts as the ECM code is not written to use the '10 and up heated sensors for your application.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #98 on: April 05, 2013, 01:13:38 PM »

The V&H head pipes are in a box and going to Drago's to get bungs installed and ceramic coated.

Hoping for the best which means about a 1000 degrees cooler on the rear pipe and better then 32 MPG.

Sorry Duane they only guarantee 998 degrees cooler you are gonna get burned :)    Are you going to retune the bike for better gas mileage or take it somewhere once the bungs are installed and it is sent back?
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
« Reply #99 on: April 05, 2013, 03:05:04 PM »

Thanks Steve!
Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #100 on: April 07, 2013, 11:22:48 AM »

Are you going to retune the bike for better gas mileage or take it somewhere once the bungs are installed and it is sent back?

See how it runs.

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2013, 11:09:17 AM »

Here is a before and after the cutting of the O2 bungs.
There was no change in performance or fuel mileage.

Top is before and the front is on the left for both views

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
Re: o2 sensor color doesn't match exhaust valves
« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2013, 11:10:29 AM »

Yeah later today. have to go back to the dealer this morning because the rep did not put two of everything in the bag  :confused5:

And I will be doing that again! What good is a list if they can't follow it? And why would you request only 1 gasket when 2 are required  :nixweiss:

MV 2013

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 25 queries.