Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Change Brake Fluid Intervals  (Read 3378 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Change Brake Fluid Intervals
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2012, 11:49:07 PM »

As I remember it, H-D began running DOT-5 in ’79 0r ’80. There was a safety recall on the disc brakes back then that included DOT-5 fluid use on machines produced back to 1974.

I didn't remember what year DOT5 use ceased though.  Wasn't sure if Dennis's 03 would have it or not.  Looks like use ended with 04.  Just checked the part numbers for the chrome master cylinder caps and a new part part number startded in 05 with that cap no longer saying "DOT5 use" in its script.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 11:54:05 PM »

This one

Be careful with those one person air operated bleeder tools.  If the air pressure to the gun is too high or if its internal regulation is too high fluid can be splashed from the master cylinder's reservoir.  Worse is that it'll do it up high at the handlebars while your squatted down at the wheel.  They can also empty a master cylinder reservoir very quickly.

I've got a few different "one man" bleeding tools.  Especially on vehicles with small reservoirs always have less drama and more success with a nice slow manual tool.  Your mileage may vary. 

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2012, 03:32:27 AM »

Be careful with those one person air operated bleeder tools.  If the air pressure to the gun is too high or if its internal regulation is too high fluid can be splashed from the master cylinder's reservoir.  Worse is that it'll do it up high at the handlebars while your squatted down at the wheel.  They can also empty a master cylinder reservoir very quickly.

I've got a few different "one man" bleeding tools.  Especially on vehicles with small reservoirs always have less drama and more success with a nice slow manual tool.  Your mileage may vary.  

Do you think this would be better for our application? Looks to be same as griots reverse bleeder, but less $

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/74A5485A0A0.aspx?kc=ffproduct

Lastly, can this be done with ABS and without a DT or whatever its called?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 04:57:00 AM by Pete7539 »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2012, 10:01:13 AM »

Do you think this would be better for our application? Looks to be same as griots reverse bleeder, but less $

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/74A5485A0A0.aspx?kc=ffproduct

Lastly, can this be done with ABS and without a DT or whatever its called?

Hand operated so you could control how more directly control a nice slow vacuum.  I've got a hand operated pneumatic tool.  Don't get me wrong it can do a good job.  But I won't use in an application with a small reservoir like the bikes.  It'll splash the fluid and quickly suck it dry.  Not a bad tool.  Just, at least in my clumsy hands, not the best tool for bike use.

I end up using the fluid transfer tool at the following link nearly all the time.  

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/multi+fluid+extractor.do?sortby=ourPicks

Can create as much or as little vacuum as you like.  Can do it easily while standing up and being able to watch the reservoirs.  Can leave it unattended while continually topping off the reservoirs as it slowly sucks down (until you need to give it another pump or two).

Can also use the same tool for other needs like power steering pumps or sucking the oil out of the crankcase in the lawnmower or whatever other transfer needs might come up.  Whatever one gets comfortable with will likely work ok though.  Just need to get comfortable with it and, as always, be careful.

As for ABS, I've bled brakes on three ABS bikes and several ABS autos without issue.  But it depends on where the air is.  If it's within the ABS pump or closely associated plumbing you'd need to following the DT recommendations.

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 10:13:36 AM »

Just FYI, the Griot's one man bleeder draws down the reservoir slowly, so no concern sucking the reservoir dry unless you just walk away and forget about it.
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2012, 12:56:43 PM »

I didn't remember what year DOT5 use ceased though.  Wasn't sure if Dennis's 03 would have it or not.  Looks like use ended with 04.  Just checked the part numbers for the chrome master cylinder caps and a new part part number startded in 05 with that cap no longer saying "DOT5 use" in its script.

:2vrolijk_21: Yup, the touring machines began using DOT-4 in 2005, the other machines followed sometime later. ABS was offered on select ’05 Police machines, so there was most likely some desire by H-D for production commonization in this area.

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2012, 01:19:47 PM »

Hand operated so you could control how more directly control a nice slow vacuum.  I've got a hand operated pneumatic tool.  Don't get me wrong it can do a good job.  But I won't use in an application with a small reservoir like the bikes.  It'll splash the fluid and quickly suck it dry.  Not a bad tool.  Just, at least in my clumsy hands, not the best tool for bike use.

I end up using the fluid transfer tool at the following link nearly all the time.  

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/multi+fluid+extractor.do?sortby=ourPicks

Can create as much or as little vacuum as you like.  Can do it easily while standing up and being able to watch the reservoirs.  Can leave it unattended while continually topping off the reservoirs as it slowly sucks down (until you need to give it another pump or two).

Can also use the same tool for other needs like power steering pumps or sucking the oil out of the crankcase in the lawnmower or whatever other transfer needs might come up.  Whatever one gets comfortable with will likely work ok though.  Just need to get comfortable with it and, as always, be careful.

As for ABS, I've bled brakes on three ABS bikes and several ABS autos without issue.  But it depends on where the air is.  If it's within the ABS pump or closely associated plumbing you'd need to following the DT recommendations.

Thanks! I was also looking at an oil transfer, but that one does it all  :2vrolijk_21:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2012, 02:55:38 PM »

:2vrolijk_21: Yup, the touring machines began using DOT-4 in 2005, the other machines followed sometime later. ABS was offered on select ’05 Police machines, so there was most likely some desire by H-D for production commonization in this area.

I remember those police bikes.  That was the kit that ate an entire saddlebag.  Earliest one I ever saw was an 06 so learned something again that they'd started the year before.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2012, 03:00:09 PM »

Thanks! I was also looking at an oil transfer, but that one does it all  :2vrolijk_21:

Once in awhile you stumble on a tool that just handy to have around.  For more than you ever considered at time of purchase.   Three different size line kits with it.  Add some rubber nipples and you can adjust to a lot more.  Some tools just work.  That one just sucks; but in a good way.  It's own reservoir is large enough it's convenient to use.  I stick that thing's hoses in all kinds of places I'd not thought of before.  Used it just last night to suck the reservior on a power steering pump dry to put in some fresh fluid.  Nice for places like that with no normal drain plug.

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2012, 11:02:13 PM »

Used it just last night to suck the reservior on a power steering pump dry to put in some fresh fluid.

The old lady will be happy with that, I recently added power steering fluid to my 3 series, then read the cap after I checked the level and it said ATF only. Yadayadayada...we no longer have a turkey baster.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2012, 07:58:36 AM »

The old lady will be happy with that, I recently added power steering fluid to my 3 series, then read the cap after I checked the level and it said ATF only. Yadayadayada...we no longer have a turkey baster.
;D uh oh......thought I was the only one that did things like that.   ::)  har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 22 queries.