Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: SERGU HID Installation  (Read 7725 times)

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
Re: SERGU HID Installation
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, 12:35:12 AM »

great job Terry...    looks really bright from here..  im gonna see if they offer a kit for the batwing biks..  i like plu-n-play anything :2vrolijk_21:

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2012, 12:45:08 PM »

Just checked and I have the same problem.

I talked to their tech support...there's no logical reason why the GDO won't work, other than it's getting some kind of RF interference from the digital ballasts.  Moving the ballast on the transmitter side might work, or shielding it with something. Moving the transmitter might work as well. Their suggestion is an upgrade to Phillips (the real, German made version) ballasts...suposed to be a CANBUS ballast that won't interfere with RF, and lasts 10X longer.  Allegedly the best of the best  :nixweiss:  I'll find out, as I have some coming, but it will be late this week or early next week before I've got my hands on them.

We'll see...They have a 30 day money back guarantee, so that's a good thing.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

unoskruame

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2012, 04:42:45 PM »

Well,what a bummer!  I just finished installing my kit and was testing to make sure everything worked before I buttoned everything up and I can't get the right side to light. I switched the plug like they said and switched the light from side to side an it is not coming on. I know bulbs are good cause they will both light on the left side. Any ideas?

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2012, 05:33:51 PM »

Well,what a bummer!  I just finished installing my kit and was testing to make sure everything worked before I buttoned everything up and I can't get the right side to light. I switched the plug like they said and switched the light from side to side an it is not coming on. I know bulbs are good cause they will both light on the left side. Any ideas?

If it works on the left side, sounds like you have a bad ballast/ignitor.  Call 'em tomorrow and see what they say.

TTS Mastertune

jwalker793

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2012, 05:53:02 PM »

Midnight Rider,

Are you exchanging for the Phillips ballasts only or getting the upgraded kit with Hi/Low Xenon?

JW
124 137HP/147TQ

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2012, 06:13:22 PM »

Midnight Rider,

Are you exchanging for the Phillips ballasts only or getting the upgraded kit with Hi/Low Xenon?

JW

Just the ballasts...the low beam is so bright, I can't imagine needing the high beam HID version.  According to the tech, this should solve my problem, but the proof will be in the pudding.  I just pulled the ballasts and igniter module out and sent it back.  Supposed to be a $60 swap, plus whatever it cost for shipping.  It better work, or I'm not going to be happy.  I suggested in a letter I included in the package that they may want to consider a caveat in their literature about the Garage Door Opener equipped bikes...if it's a HD GDO transmitter.

I know some folks had this same issue when they installed the HD LED lights on their bikes, but it seems to be more on the '10 bikes and earlier.  Looking at the wiring diagram for the GDO, I can't see any reason for it not to work, other than a RF thing.

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2012, 06:18:45 PM »

I hope I have not put folks on to a bum product here.  The product worked well with regards to ease of installation and the light output.  The GDO is not a HUGE deal, but I would like it to work since I'm used to it.  There are ways to work around it, but hopefully the "better" ballasts will solve the issue and that'll be the end of it.  They are in California, so the UPS shipping takes a few days by ground from Alabama.

TTS Mastertune

AZMike

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra - Rio Red
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 04:14:13 PM »

I hope I have not put folks on to a bum product here.  The product worked well with regards to ease of installation and the light output.  The GDO is not a HUGE deal, but I would like it to work since I'm used to it.  There are ways to work around it, but hopefully the "better" ballasts will solve the issue and that'll be the end of it.  They are in California, so the UPS shipping takes a few days by ground from Alabama.

I installed the Hemrick HID kit on my SERGU and have the same problem with the garage door opener not working or just working intermittently so this is obviously not a 'user induced' problem. Their kit looks very similar to the kit you purchased the only difference being they have the bigger ballasts. The connectors look exactly the same.
I'm also interested in seeing if those new ballasts will resolve this problem.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2012, 04:33:45 PM »

New ballasts do not help  >:(  I like the ballasts better because they don't have a seperate ignitor and they were actually easier to mount...they are supposed to be longer lasting and not do any RF interference, but they did NOT help with the GDO issue.

So, I've come to the conclusion that it's because the stock RG headlight(s) have a single bulb each which is both low and high beam...the HID light has a HID bulb for low, and a regular Halogen for high, so two different bulbs.  Obviously, the GDO is not "seeing" a voltage interruption from the switch when going from low to high and back.

I am open for suggestions from those who are brighter than me on how to fix this...would one of the splitters HD has, either 71628-04 or 70423-98, work?  Here's a wiring diagram of the GDO:

« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 04:37:13 PM by Midnight Rider »

TTS Mastertune

sixgun95

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2012, 11:54:05 PM »

Thanks for the update. The garage door opener not working is a deal breaker for me...bummer! javascript:void(0);
2015 Ultra Limited Low

jwalker793

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2012, 09:14:02 PM »

IMHO, the performance and safety enhancement of these lights outweigh the inconvenience of losing high beam switch garage door control (which I do like). I have ordered the Harley key fob garage door opener (which can be linked to HD receiver) as an alternative solution for $50. If the fob ever comes up missing, all you have to do is remove the HD receiver connected to your garage door opener to maintain garage access security.

JW
124 137HP/147TQ

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2012, 10:35:20 PM »

Just wondering, is there any reason you can't use something else to trigger garage door transmitter, ie: aux switch, or cruise on-off switch? I think the transmitter just looks for a momentary 12volt on-off-on, or off-on-off signal. Am I crazy for thinking it is this simple? Go ahead... have at me, but be nice, I am only trying to help.
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2012, 10:50:31 PM »

Before getting all carried away reinventing the wheel, why not just forget the Harley system and wire a regular remote from your garage door opener to a simple momentary switch, then mount the remote inside the fairing and the pushbutton switch where ever you want it?  That's how I have mine set up now, since the Harley system wouldn't work with my new whiz bang opener from Chamberlain.  It works much, much better now, with range of several hundred feet versus barely 40-50 feet with the Harley system, and it works first time every time which I can't say about the Harley system.

I understand the desire to figure it out and make it work, since my mind is wired that way also, but there comes a time when it's better to just go a different direction.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2012, 12:03:48 PM »

Before getting all carried away reinventing the wheel, why not just forget the Harley system and wire a regular remote from your garage door opener to a simple momentary switch, then mount the remote inside the fairing and the pushbutton switch where ever you want it?  That's how I have mine set up now, since the Harley system wouldn't work with my new whiz bang opener from Chamberlain.  It works much, much better now, with range of several hundred feet versus barely 40-50 feet with the Harley system, and it works first time every time which I can't say about the Harley system.

I understand the desire to figure it out and make it work, since my mind is wired that way also, but there comes a time when it's better to just go a different direction.

Jerry

I agree, Jerry.  I've got a Flash2Pass coming from an Ebay seller.  I think that should do it.  It's simple, and doesn't care where the signal comes from.  There's a point at which something like this is an exercise in futility/aggravation.  The Flash2Pass receiver can take up to 6 transmitter signals, so all you do is buy another transmitter and wire it in to whatever vehicle's high beam wire, a hot and a ground, and you're done.

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2012, 06:15:46 PM »

Just to update this thread:  The HID's work great.  I don't know if the issues I had with the GDO are specifically related to the brand of kit that I bought, but I doubt it.  But be forewarned:  if you have a HD GDO on your bike, it will probably not work if you put a HID Low Beam and Halogen High Beam kit on your RG.

So, include the price of a Flash2pass GDO in your budget...$58.95 + Free Shipping on Ebay.

Or, if you just want to add a GDO to your bike, don't mess with the pricey/expensive HD receiver/transmitter.  It's a rip off in the first place, and it's finicky about voltage.

Now all I gotta' do is put the fairing back on... :nervous:

TTS Mastertune
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 24 queries.