Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boom Audio SaddleBag Speaker Kit Wiring Question(s)  (Read 5149 times)

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE - 2018 FLHTKSE-ANV (Traded)
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHXSE (Traded) - 2007 FXSTSSE (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2003 100th FLHRCi (Sold) - 2001 FLSTF (Traded)
    • 33 Hotrod Build
Boom Audio SaddleBag Speaker Kit Wiring Question(s)
« on: March 27, 2012, 01:40:30 PM »

I had a long thread on how best to tackle the addition of these rear speake. The parts are all ordered so I won’t debate it here. Based on what I have already learned (thank you so very much Rich and Carl) the installation it is all clear in my mind. I only have 2 minor questions I hope to resolve here… though I’m almost afraid to ask in case it’s too dopey.

The instructions for the 76000202 - BOOM!™ AUDIO SADDLEBAG SPEAKER KIT say this in regard to the wiring for Rear Speaker Harness supplied:

1. See Figure 7. Inspect the socket housings on the two long branches at one end of the rear speaker harness (4). In one of the socket housings (labeled "RIGHT"):
a. Cavity 4 has an orange/black wire, (WHAT IS THIS FOR?)
b. Cavity 5 has a green wire, (I know this is RR SPKR (+))
c. Cavity 6 has a light-green/brown wire. (I know this is RR SPKR (-))
Plug this housing into the pin connector coming from the
right saddlebag.

In the remaining socket housing (not labeled):
a. Cavity 4 has a brown/white wire, (WHAT IS THIS FOR?)
b. Cavity 5 has a brown wire, (I know this is LR SPKR (+))
c. Cavity 6 has a white/brown wire. (I know this is LR SPKR (-))
Plug this housing into the pin connector coming from the
left saddlebag.

Q1 - The NUOH has 6 wires on each side, 3 of which correspond to these colours above. Aside from the obvious 4 required to drive the speakers, I’m curious to know what the 3rd pair of wires in Cavity 4 on each side are for? (That’d be the orange/black wire on the Right and the brown/white wire on the Left)?

Q2 – I’d like to make a bridge harness to connect the amp between the NUOH and the Rear Speaker Harness. I will need 2 complete connector sets. Does anyone know the HD part numbers or know where I can get the DTM-06P connectors used on the NUOH and Rear Speaker Harness?

Thanks
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Boom Audio SaddleBag Speaker Kit Wiring Question(s)
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 10:50:29 PM »

Here's the vendor for the Deutsch connectors:

http://www.deutschconnector.com/

Carl

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 10:44:36 PM »

Q1 - The NUOH has 6 wires on each side, 3 of which correspond to these colours above. Aside from the obvious 4 required to drive the speakers, I’m curious to know what the 3rd pair of wires in Cavity 4 on each side are for? (That’d be the orange/black wire on the Right and the brown/white wire on the Left)?

Nick ... don't take this the wrong way.
I'm "curious to know" why you haven't popped for a service manual (because it would show you what every wire is for).

I do grow weary in trying to help people that expect others to invest more time and effort in their project than they are willing to do.

TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 07:36:30 AM »

Nick ... don't take this the wrong way.
I'm "curious to know" why you haven't popped for a service manual (because it would show you what every wire is for).

I do grow weary in trying to help people that expect others to invest more time and effort in their project than they are willing to do.

Hey Rich... The manuals are on order. I took your advice...all of it... including ordering the touring manual and the FLHXSE supplement. Only problem is they aren't here yet and as I'd have no idea if it solves my issues, (like any book could do that lol) I'm trying to answer a few questions while I wait. Not very patient I guess.

I know some of you guys must think these are dumb questions, that's why I was afraid to ask, but I assure you your efforts are not in vein.

Problem is that in my efforts to answer any question, the Internet is the first source and when you Google ANYTHING related, it just brings you to comments on this site.

So while I wait for my manuals, I just thought I'd ask. I had no expectation of someone doing the research for me... Just to type a few words if they knew. And it's not like I PM'd anyone... Just a post on an open forum.

BTW... You said for me "Not to take this the wrong way". How was it that you thought I would take a comment like "I do grow weary in trying to help people that expect others to invest more time and effort in their project than they are willing to do"?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 08:01:01 AM by HDNIK »
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 08:01:06 AM »

That's excellent Nick - the Service Manuals will save you hours of frustration and "wondering".

I tried typing a few notes for those wires and couldn't find a way to explain it without writing a book :)
See if this helps:

The reference to the additonal wires is for an "indexing" mark to ensure that you have mated the proper connector  from the saddle bag speaker harness to the harness that runs down the backbone. Both of the connectors have 3 wires that are the same colors on each connector, with three wires being unique colors for "left" and for "right". H-D references the additonal wires (as you noted above) for indexing the "left" from the "right" connector.

I have no idea why they didn't just leave it as the 2 wires per connector that are unique for the speaker level outputs. This is probably more confusing than helpful. Once you get the Service Manuals it will become more clear.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 10:26:37 PM by TIF2 »
TIF2

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 08:03:50 AM »

See... Now I feel bad for editing my last reply. I gotta learn not to take chit so personal. Thanks Rich.
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 08:10:18 AM »

No need to feel bad at all.
I got a pretty thick skin  :)

And I didn't mean it personally. What I meant was there are a lot of resources available on this site (search), going to the dealer and copying a wiring diagram, etc, that are available to folks. I know it's easier just to ask a question, but the net outcome is that for me (or others) to answer it I have to do the same effort. I have to pull out the Service Manual and look the stuff up.

For example ... I just did a search on "wiring diagrams" and got this:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=53364.0

I'm always happy to help .... but I also like to see folks grab the ball and run with it as well.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 10:51:58 AM by TIF2 »
TIF2

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 07:02:55 PM »

HDNIK, I'm sure TIF2 (Rich) meant no offense to you--he's the most helpful and generous guy you're likely to encounter on this or any forum (in fact, cvoharley.com is lucky to have him since he could be far more helpful on much larger HD forums, e.g. hdforums.com where he is a member, but does not contribute nearly as much as he does here).

A point worth noting is that Rich is not "in the business,"--he's not making anything by offering his expertise here.  And, because he's not in the business, many of the questions to which he responds require that he first consult service manuals, wiring diagrams, etc. before he responds.  In that respect, he's not doing anything that a literate, competent person can't do since he doesn't have access to any resources that aren't available to any of us.  No doubt, there are members who are "in the business" and for whatever reason choose not to answer the questions posed here.

Finally, it's usually better to simply send a PM with your phone number and ask a question.  From personal experience, I know that it often takes longer to type an answer to a question than it would take to answer the question over the phone.  Granted, that approach doesn't help the "community" since the discussion is not posted here, but from a time standpoint it's much easier to answer via phone than type.

Carl
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 08:26:12 PM by Harleypingman »

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 08:05:17 PM »

Carl and Rich,

I was only mildly bruised by the comment and only because I really have been doing a lot of blind research on this silly project and you two gents seem to be the only guys responding... WHICH I GREATLY, TRULY AND SINCERELY APPRECIATE. I always try to do everything I can myself, mechanical, exhaust, tuning, accessories etc etc, for both my hot rod and my bikes... but I have always had this mental block when it comes to audio specs, volts, amps and ohms etc... I really just want to understand it better... rather than just plug and play.

Rich my humble apologies for my comments. It was early, I hadn't had enough coffee and when I saw your note it was just a shrug, but the more I read it the more sarcastic I felt... and edited my response. I didn't hit send even a second before you had re-replied to the original, less sarcastic response. Then I felt like a boob for having edited mine. So childish.

Anyway, you've both got me WELL on my way into this project (and my pocket). I have the lids ordered from Chuck at Avalanche HD in Colorado, who will send them to Kent at Gunslingers to spray them. I have the Hogtunes amp and bracket from Pez in hand already.  The Boom Audio Kit and the manuals are on order from my local HD Dealer (Clares HD) so that he can do the flashes required and all the Deutsch connectors I need to make a harness are ordered from an ebay vendor I've used before for my car but had forgotten about (Race Car Electronics) until Carl pointed me toward Batts Racing.... and just becasue the fairing will be off, I'm replacing my HW 5.25's with the Hawg-Wired 6.5's and adapters from Jim at Metal Dragon (HD-Dude).

You two should recognize most if not all of the above because you were the ones who suggested them. It's all clear in my head and I will soon have a full understanding once I read my manuals.... but mainly thanks to you guys!!

Funny... my buddy (an old school guy) asks me "where do I get all this information from" and I tell him "From some guy called "TIF2" and some other dude named "Harleypingman" on the internet"... he thinks I'm nuts.

Thanks again guys!

Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 08:21:53 PM »

No worries here at all ... glad you're moving forward.  :)
The H-D lid speakers are a tough install, but WELL worth it !!

PM me if you get in the weeds ...

Cheers Nick
TIF2

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 09:58:58 PM »

Count on it. Thanks Rich. :2vrolijk_21:

When I get all the pieces assembled I will have to do a testimonial pictorial thread to your tutelage. Carl says you're not in this business... But if you ever give up your day job... I tell you what.

Kudos and thanks.
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 20 queries.