Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Proper Oil Temp  (Read 22689 times)

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
Re: Proper Oil Temp
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2012, 11:15:36 PM »

still want to run that conventional motor oil? doesn't matter who makes HD oil, it's made to HD specifications, if you noticed it listed a "proprietary blend". Champion makes HD spark plugs, but the Champion plugs don't hold up as well as the made to HD spec plugs.

You need to work for John Deere if you want to spread that manure around here.
Jesus is Lord

biker0051

« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2012, 01:00:59 AM »

You need to work for John Deere if you want to spread that manure around here.
Yeah you're right. I just don't have a clue about HD's. Seems I wasted a year of my time and over $12,000.00 going to MMI. You seem to know so much more. What class did you teach there? I mean, I only spent about 5 years working on them. MMI usually only hires instructors with 5 years shop experience, and hey, they called me at the dealership I was working at and offered me a instructors job. Let's see, they taught, Early Model('36 to '65), Ironhead and Shovelhead('66 to '83 or '84) depending on model, and 2 late model classes. So that was 4 class programs 3 times a day. Around 20-25 students per class, so that makes 240-300 students at a time graduating. I was 2nd in my class, the guy that was first had already had custom bikes published in motorcycle magazines. He attended to have the "Paper work" to show. So yes, you must be right, you know so much more about them than I do.
I used to love customers like you! I kept a quote laminated on my tool box from Adlai Stevenson, "There is nothing more horrifying then stupidity in action". You would have been one of the customers I would have read it. One of the customers that would want drag pipes, S&S carbs, braided brake lines that weren't DOT approved. You know, the guy that would come in and tell the wrench "my buddy said I need to get this or that, he knows what he's talking about! He works on his bike all the time!" That's when I would have them read the quote! YOU would have been reading it often!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2012, 01:05:16 AM »

Yeah you're right. I just don't have a clue...

Another game of...

UAV Pilot

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2012, 02:46:42 AM »

I dont mean to start a flame war, but the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for any manufacturer to require their own brand of ANYTHING or void a warranty. That includes oil, unless said product is does not meet the specifications set out by the manufacturer.  Thankfully most if not All exceed manufactures specifications.
Better to Remain Silent and Thought a Fool, Than To Open One's Mouth and Remove All Doubt......Abraham Lincoln

clegg

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG, Black & Orange. 106 stroker, 585 S&S gear driven cams, SE billet cam plate w/ SE oil pump, 52mm S&S throttle body with closed loop VFI system, Vance & Hines 2 into 1. Headwork by Leo Hess at Full Blast Engineering.
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2012, 08:48:00 AM »

UAV PILOT is right on here. Simple law. By the way dlaws01, if you are going to argue how good the HD oil is and the legality of running whatever oil you like I still have to wonder about your bonafides.. "Me thinks he doeth protest too much..." The fact that the HD oil is overpriced and inferior (though still good enough..) to several other brands of oil is not even open for debate around here or any where else. It is accepted fact by the majority of a very well educated group of people. (That would be us owners , riders, and wrenchers..)
Semper Fidelis

biker0051

« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2012, 04:10:48 PM »

UAV PILOT is right on here. Simple law. By the way dlaws01, if you are going to argue how good the HD oil is and the legality of running whatever oil you like I still have to wonder about your bonafides.. "Me thinks he doeth protest too much..." The fact that the HD oil is overpriced and inferior (though still good enough..) to several other brands of oil is not even open for debate around here or any where else. It is accepted fact by the majority of a very well educated group of people. (That would be us owners , riders, and wrenchers..)
And what oils might that be?

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2012, 04:49:20 PM »

A few questions that might help to move this forward are: where is H-D's engine oil service rating published, what is that published rating and what other products meet or exceed that rating?

or

This thing could devolve into an oil thread; it may already be too late, in which case everyone should raise shields and fire at will...oh and moderators take your battle stations!  ;D

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2012, 05:37:14 PM »

Well I for one have learned a lot in this thread jacked thread.  The most important thing I've learned is that I and many others wasted a lot of money getting degrees in things like automotive or mechanical or petroleum engineering.  Who knew we could have saved a fortune and many years of our lives by just going to MMI for a year and becoming oil and spark plug experts.  I'm seriously considering asking my alma mater for a refund.  And I'll bet those guys at the big oil companies with all the advanced degrees are really kicking themselves in the ass right now.

Jerry

Oh, btw, could someone please pass the Koolaid?
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2012, 07:01:16 PM »

Well I for one have learned a lot in this thread jacked thread.  The most important thing I've learned is that I and many others wasted a lot of money getting degrees in things like automotive or mechanical or petroleum engineering.  Who knew we could have saved a fortune and many years of our lives by just going to MMI for a year and becoming oil and spark plug experts.  I'm seriously considering asking my alma mater for a refund.  And I'll bet those guys at the big oil companies with all the advanced degrees are really kicking themselves in the ass right now.

Jerry

:huepfenlol2:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

biker0051

« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2012, 09:59:16 PM »

Jerry

OUCH! I'm so hurt! Which degree do you have?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.