Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CVO Turn Signal and Brake Lights  (Read 3253 times)

BADATTITUDE2

CVO Turn Signal and Brake Lights
« on: March 28, 2012, 12:18:22 PM »

Have a 2011 Ultra CVO I want to add the Turn Signal and Brake function to the existing Tour Pak Lights.  I have also got the turn signal module for the stock turn signals and the Y harness.  I purchased the Harness Pn 69911-11 which comes with the aftermarket Harley light kit LED lights after I connected them all together everything seemed to work however when the turn signals were used they became flashers is anyone out there had any success.

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
Re: CVO Turn Signal and Brake Lights
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 06:39:11 PM »

I did the same thing... bought the conversion kit thinking it would work on the 2011 CVO, but then noticed too late that the new CVOs have three lamps on the tourpak instead of just the two on the older models.  Basically, the middle light had to be jumped to the Brake Light wire so that it still functioned as a running light and third brake light.  The outside/marker lights on the pak went dark until the turn signals were used... even then, they only flashed at the 'running light' brightness level.  I've decided to simply put things back the way they came and will attempt to install some aftermarket LED strips behind the red lenses on the corners of the pak and wire them to the turn signal wires.  This way, the entire tourpak lights should all operate as running lights and when I use the turn signals, the new LEDs will simply come on and hopefully, be bright enough to distinguish them as turn signals...  If I can get off my butt and do this, I'll let you know how it turns out.  I have everything needed, but it kills me everytime I walk into the garage and see the bike, knowing I still can't ride for another few weeks...   8)
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

T-Hawk

• Senior CVO Member
    • AK

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 12:41:16 PM »

Well, that didn't work...  I put everything back to factory and attempted to insert a couple of LED strips into the lenses for the tourpak, only to discover that the lenses themselves are 'sealed' with more glue than I cared to attempt to remove.

I guess until someone makes a harness that supports all three lights in the newer tourpaks, an 'easy' solution is yet to be found.

A couple of other threads on here have detailed explanations on how to wire everything using, I think, the old harness... but then a couple of other parts and manual wiring to get them to work as I think both of us are attempting.

Now that I have everything back to factory... I think I'll just wait for a plug-n-play option to come along.   8)
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

ThunderBueller

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 01:11:31 PM »

Have you looked at this yet?

http://ridetimetechnology.com/tp_seultra.htm

I used it on my TP and it works great. It provides run/turn/brake.
2010 FLTRX--Primo paint set
2005 FXSTB--Sold!
2003 XL1200C--Sold
2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt--Sold

Wanted--black Rumble collection saddlebag latches.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 01:14:18 PM »

Get some LED turn signal inserts for the regular signals.  I know it won't help up high, but they are SO much brighter than the stock bulbs, it would be hard for someone to miss them.  Custom Dynamics makes some nice plug and play turn signals, along with some bright azzed LED tailights with modulators that will definitely get your attention when you hit the brakes.  All is down low, but they are BRIGHT!
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

T-Hawk

• Senior CVO Member
    • AK

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 02:22:21 PM »

Thanks Thunder... I knew I hadn't looked everywhere.  And, Midnight... thanks for your insight as well.  I did get the LED bulbs for the 'bullet' signals, and was attempting to insert Custom Dynamics 'MagicFLEX' inside the tourpak corners, but found them to be sealed quite nice.

Badattitude2... see how easy it is to get help from this forum.  Great bunch of folks on here.  Massive knowledge base to pull from.  I learned something, just by trying to be of some help myself...  now to get online and order the tourpak kit   ;)

I think having the tourpaks lamps integrated with the Stop/Signal functions should have been something 'Standard' on the CVOs, but I think there's more money to be made in the Aftermarket, than there is in making something that makes total sense a standard feature.

One more week with these temperatures and the 'glacier' in front of my house should be gone.

So Ready To Ride   8)
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

hogdooz

• Full CVO Member
  • LET'S GO RIDING!
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 06:14:20 PM »

I bought my kit from JDOFLHRIDER on this site---I think he still has them available. He built the y-cable and supplied it with the module from the light kit from the P & A catalog. I installed it and everything works great. Two wires had to be switched in the plug coming out of the stock lights, everything else was plug and play. All the tour pak lights light up as brake lights and the corner lights flash as signals.
2015 FLTRUSE,, 1978 XLCR,  2003 FXDX, 1942 WLA, 2019 FLHCS, 2022 FXRST EL Diablo

SMSgt B

• Full CVO Member
    • FL
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 06:59:27 PM »

I bought my kit from JDOFLHRIDER on this site---I think he still has them available. He built the y-cable and supplied it with the module from the light kit from the P & A catalog. I installed it and everything works great. Two wires had to be switched in the plug coming out of the stock lights, everything else was plug and play. All the tour pak lights light up as brake lights and the corner lights flash as signals.

Here is Joe's kit on my scoot...

JDOFLHRIDER

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHTCUSE5 BURNT AMBER -HOT CITRUS
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 09:16:56 PM »

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 20 queries.