Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Missing or by Design  (Read 2331 times)

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
Missing or by Design
« on: April 02, 2012, 11:21:06 PM »

Upgraded my halogen headlight to the LED, simple swap out.  What I did notice after that change was that some Bat Wing fairing models (the CVO's) have a rubber ring between the light and outer mounting ring.  The nonCVO bat wing fairing bikes do not have this rubber ring.  Cannot figure out why there is a difference.  I did ask three different dealers what the reasoning was and no one knows or even noticed this until I mentioned it.  Please, someone answer this for me so I can sleep at night (I'm out of my OCP meds).  By the way, you guys don't want to know what some of these guys tried to make up in an attempt to explain this....................... ???
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

bjizel

• Full CVO Member
Re: Missing or by Design
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 12:28:00 AM »

MKW, which one did you go with ? Harleys version Chrome or Black ? or some other, can you post a picture ? I have the Harley Black LED on order.

Bernell

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 12:53:28 AM »

Upgraded my halogen headlight to the LED, simple swap out.  What I did notice after that change was that some Bat Wing fairing models (the CVO's) have a rubber ring between the light and outer mounting ring.  The nonCVO bat wing fairing bikes do not have this rubber ring.  Cannot figure out why there is a difference.  I did ask three different dealers what the reasoning was and no one knows or even noticed this until I mentioned it.  Please, someone answer this for me so I can sleep at night (I'm out of my OCP meds).  By the way, you guys don't want to know what some of these guys tried to make up in an attempt to explain this....................... ???

Check out the following link.  Parts look-up on line.  You can easily check to see if the piece is supposed to be on all the models or not.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ronnies/showmodel.asp?make=hdmc

Alesius

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 05:10:22 AM »

I installed the LED headlamp and fog lamps kits last week (chrome version). I reused the rubber ring that came with the original headlamp. According to the installation instructions, the black version comes with a separate retainer ring, the chrome version reuses the original ring. They don't even mention the rubber ring in the instructions...
Not sure why some models don't have the rubber ring, but IMO the rubber solution isn't optimal either. I found (minor) water marks and a broad selection of (dead) insects behind the headlamp. There must be better solutions  :confused5:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 08:46:46 AM »

The actual headlight on the SE bike is different than the headlight on the standard e'glide models.  Only the SE variant calls for the gasket, see item 18 for the SE version in the attached drawings.  As to what it actually does, I can't answer that.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 01:05:42 PM »

BTW, the standard models had the gasket up to the 2008 model year, when it mysteriously disappeared.  While I cannot say this with any certainty or proof, I'm willing to bet it was eliminated strictly as a cost reduction.  The reason I say that is that I saw the same sort of thing eliminated on the headlamp and taillamp assemblies on the cars being built by the company I used to work for.  The gasket was called a gap hider in our designs, and it was basically there just to hide the gap between the sheet metal and the edge of the light.  The cost cutting Nazi's determined that customers wouldn't mind looking at an ugly gap (not sure how they figured that, since I don't believe they did any actual customer studies), so they eliminated all the gap hiders and got a nice bonus.  I'm betting H-D did the same thing.  But the headlamp assembly on the SE bikes is not a regular production part, it's from P&A, and perhaps the cost cutters overlooked it. :nixweiss:  Now that you've brought it to light, they will probably eliminate it on the SE's in the near future.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 02:04:37 PM »

Thanks for the explaination Jerry.
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 02:05:33 PM »

Bernell, I got the chrome one and it looks and functions great.  I'll post a picture later today.

Mark
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 02:53:40 PM »

Bernell,

Here is a few pictures of the chrome LED on the Sunrise SESG
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 02:54:33 PM »

One with the lights off.
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

bjizel

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 11:52:01 PM »

Looks good Mark, I'll be installing the Black LED in a few days I'll post pictures here also.

Bernell

Alesius

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 01:51:45 PM »

Some pics of the new LED headlamp and auxiliary lights.
I took a first night ride and like the new lights a lot. In general I don't like driving when it's dark, even with Xenon in my car. The LEDs are a significant improvement and make me feel more comfortable in the dark.
One thing that I noticed: when the lights are on, but the engine is off and it's quiet, I hear a high, electronic sound. This must come from the LEDs because I didn't notice it before. Anybody else noticed this? Is this normal?

Pic 1: lights off

Alesius

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 01:52:16 PM »

Pic 2: lights on

bikerboy53

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • OR

• CVO1: Razor Red '07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: Red & Slate '10 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 03:26:45 PM »

One thing that I noticed: when the lights are on, but the engine is off and it's quiet, I hear a high, electronic sound. This must come from the LEDs because I didn't notice it before. Anybody else noticed this? Is this normal?

I've had a set of those lights on my bike for a year or so and haven't noticed the sound. Could it be the fuel pump you hear?  :nixweiss: The fuel pump stops after a few seconds though (or you can turn it off by hitting the "kill" switch on the right handlebar), so if the sound continues it might be the lights. Maybe I'll have to listen to my bike when I get back home this weekend. Or maybe those loud pipes have already caught up with me...  :'(

I do notice condensation inside my driving lights after they've been on for awhile. There was a thread or two about it a few months ago, but I don't know if "they all do that"  :P or whether there is something wrong with mine. They still work great though!  8)
S&S T124
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
VP-016-340 Centrifugal Clutch kit
S&S PowerTune Duals w/Rinehart Touring Mufflers
Garmin Zumo 660
Bushtec Trailer

Alesius

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 05:52:01 PM »

@bikerboy52: it's definitely not the fuel pump. The sound is higher (kind of an electronic buzzing - you often hear a similar sound when you're close to a power transformer), not as loud, and it stays as long as the lights are on. My eyesight is decreasing, but I'm hearing each and every sound my bike does, no matter how loud or quiet  ;D
Obviously I don't hear it when driving - I would be just concerned if it's not "normal" and could lead to any issues if I don't fix it.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 25 queries.