Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ABS Light Steady On  (Read 2904 times)

12cvosoftail

ABS Light Steady On
« on: April 12, 2012, 08:14:25 PM »

Hi All,

I just purchased a '12 CVO Softail Convertible Tuesday. I rode it to work yesterday and on the way home the ABS light illuminated and stayed on all the way home. I got home and found that this indicates ABS is not functioning correctly and service is required. I googled the issue and found a number of complaints about it. One person mentioned the front ABS wire gets crimped and causes the issue. I checked in the morning and sure enough I found that front ABS wire was pinched between the fork and the frame. I removed it and massaged the wire at the pinched area and the ABS light flashed as normal when I turned on the cycle. I tried to secure the wire in several locations ensuring proper movement when the forks are turned from side to side, but no matter where I secured it the ABS light would remain steady on. The only way I can be assured the ABS works properly is to let the wire hang and I am concerned it will get pinched again during normal riding. So my goal for this post is to let other know about the issue and ask the following questions.

1. Is you front ABS wire secured to anything or hanging freely?
2. Have you had this issue previously?
3. Do you think my wire is defective from the pinch or possibly another issue?

Thanks so much I look forward to many posts on this forum!

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: ABS Light Steady On
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 08:22:43 PM »

1. Is you front ABS wire secured to anything or hanging freely?
2. Have you had this issue previously?
3. Do you think my wire is defective from the pinch or possibly another issue?

Thanks so much I look forward to many posts on this forum!

I think there is an excellent chance your abs wire is defective from being pinched...  I'd suggest letting your warranty and your dealer sort it out...   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 09:36:19 PM »

Welcome to the site. By all means....straight to the dealer. Then double check what their solution was!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 07:31:43 PM »

I think there is an excellent chance your abs wire is defective from being pinched...  I'd suggest letting your warranty and your dealer sort it out...   :2vrolijk_21:

+2 :2vrolijk_21:

Definite trip to dealer. The wire is aparently damaged insdie the insulation from the pinching, possibly some broken strands in there - the wires are kinda like rope with individual strands wound together - even when left to hang free the wire is only making intermittent contact and may cause an ABS failure at the WORST time..
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 07:35:45 PM »

Definitely do not mess around with a safety item.  Take it to the dealer for replacement of the wire, and ask them to contact H-D for a permanent fix for the pinching issue.  If this is a widespread situation, I'd have to believe H-D knows about it by now and should have some sort of fix either in place or being worked on.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 08:20:40 PM »

Definitely don't mess with it and go to the dealer.  If it is a widespread issue with wires being pinched due to faulty location of securing the wires, then I would venture to guess a safety recall will be issued, as this definitely is a safety issue.  If it's not widespread, like Jerry said, the MoCo should have identified a fix for it.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 24 queries.