Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Head Light Options  (Read 5756 times)

sixgun95

• Full CVO Member
Head Light Options
« on: April 18, 2012, 12:38:18 AM »

What options are available to upgrade the headlight?  I still want it to operate the garage door opener.
2015 Ultra Limited Low

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
Re: Head Light Options
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 12:59:19 AM »

If you want peace, prepare for war.

sixgun95

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 09:59:51 AM »

Check this thread:  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=72428.0

The light looks great unfortunately it will not operate the garage door opener.
2015 Ultra Limited Low

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 12:48:49 PM »

These threads kill me!   :rifle:

HD charges $130 for the Garage Door Opener Kit.  I realize that if it came with your bike, you want to use it.  Don't let that stand in the way of better lighting!  If you have a RG, for less that $15, you can Velcro a  mini garage door remote under the lid of your fairing glove box door and never worry about this issue again.  Just search Google Shopping....   :nixweiss:   :huepfenlol2: 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 12:57:50 PM »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 01:15:19 PM »

These threads kill me!   :rifle:

HD charges $130 for the Garage Door Opener Kit.  I realize that if it came with your bike, you want to use it.  Don't let that stand in the way of better lighting!  If you have a RG, for less that $15, you can Velcro a  mini garage door remote under the lid of your fairing glove box door and never worry about this issue again.  Just search Google Shopping....   :nixweiss:   :huepfenlol2: 

Yup, me too.  So many people on this site seem to think the Harley GDO transmitter and receiver kit is something special that they can't live without.  Trust me, it isn't anything special, and it's also very old technology that they sell for way more than it's really worth.  The Flash to Pass device does the same thing at half the price and it works better and isn't restricted by the type of lights.  And anyone who knows how to operate a soldering iron can take one of the regular remotes that came with the garage door opener and a simple pushbutton switch to make a vastly superior system for less than $15.  That's the method I endorse.  My simple system has at least four times the range of the H-D system, and it works directly with the garage door opener without any extra devices plugged in anywhere.  The simple solution is very often the best solution.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 05:24:19 PM »

The light looks great unfortunately it will not operate the garage door opener.

The end result was that he used the Flash-to-Pass system for GDO.  I didn't know you were joined at the hip to the HD junk, but I know the RGs have fewer headlight options than batwings, etc.  Here's a thought:  Instead of dismissing advice immediately if it's not a spoon-fed solution, spend some time considering how you can adapt it to your own situation and desires.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

sixgun95

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 10:46:53 PM »

Yup, me too.  So many people on this site seem to think the Harley GDO transmitter and receiver kit is something special that they can't live without.  Trust me, it isn't anything special, and it's also very old technology that they sell for way more than it's really worth.  The Flash to Pass device does the same thing at half the price and it works better and isn't restricted by the type of lights.  And anyone who knows how to operate a soldering iron can take one of the regular remotes that came with the garage door opener and a simple pushbutton switch to make a vastly superior system for less than $15.  That's the method I endorse.  My simple system has at least four times the range of the H-D system, and it works directly with the garage door opener without any extra devices plugged in anywhere.  The simple solution is very often the best solution.

Jerry

Can you be a bit more detailed about your $15 system using an existing remote, pushbutton and a soldering iron?  Thks.
2015 Ultra Limited Low

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 12:59:32 PM »

Can you be a bit more detailed about your $15 system using an existing remote, pushbutton and a soldering iron?  Thks.

Unfortunately I never remember to take photo's when I do stuff to the bike, so I can't show you.  But basically I took one of the standard remotes that came with my Chamberlain garage door opener, opened up the case and popped out the circuit board, identified the correct posts for the switch to open the door, and soldered some 22 gauge wire to the two posts.  Then I snapped the circuit board back into the case, used some self adhesive velcro to attach it to a flat surface inside the fairing (so it can be easily removed every 5 years or so to change the battery), and routed the wire to the polished stainless pushbutton switch I mounted in the fairing cap next to the regular switches for the spots, cruise, etc.  This isn't the first time I've done something like this, I rigged up something similar on my old Dyna many years ago.  On a bike without a fairing you just need to find a reasonably protected place to mount the remote, like under the seat or a side cover.  If space is tight, like it was with the Dyna, use one of the miniature remotes they sell for most brands of opener.  I ran the mini in that Dyna for six years, btw, and never had to change the battery.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 01:57:38 PM »

Jerry's idea works perfectly well, if you've got an extra transmitter that you aren't using, or can get one cheap.  Most of the one's I've seen for my opener are around $30 or so.

As stated in the other thread I started, the Flash2Pass is VERY simple, inexpensive ($58.95 on Ebay), and in the long run, a better solution if you still want to use your high/low switch to open/close the GD.  There are other ways to make a standard GDO transmitter work off your High/Low beam switch, but they are more trouble than the Flash2Pass.  You tap into two wires (white and black), and they provide two decent wire taps to do so, so you don't have to do any soldering if you don't want to.  Yes, it's better to solder the wires, and I could have done so, but I chose to use the wire taps just because I did not want to cut the wires.  There is only one potential issue with the Flash2Pass...the receiver, in some cases, has to have an external AC power source, but if you have an old cordeless phone charger laying around, that will work, or they sell one.  It's a common thing though, and Radio Shack I'm sure has one.  But that depends on what kind of opener you have on your garage door, and you won't know 'till you hook it up and the LED doesn't flash.  I have Genie (old ones) openers, and I had to hook up an AC source, but had a charger laying around that worked perfectly.

So, you can do the HID's like I did, with the slim ballast kit for $149 (there are others out there too), get the Flash2Pass, for a total of around $210, pull the fairing off, hook everything up, test it, and you're good to go.

Or, you can wait on a LED solution for around $700 and still not know for certain the HD GDO will work with the LED's.

Believe me, I wanted the HD GDO to work just because I already had it, and a person who wanted to take the time to build a relay to make it work could do so, but at some point the thing is more trouble than it's worth.  Having the MUCH, MUCH better light on the front of the bike is worth it.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

gary_r

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 02:24:23 PM »

Google Holeshot Choppers. They have LED headlights for the roadglide for $750. I'm sure Jim will give forum members a discount if you ask. And he'll likely add the garage door opener too.

jcd520

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 11:55:53 AM »

Ditto on the HD garage door opener-----------here is the simplest fix.

TANKS 250

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 Road Glide Ultra 110 Screaming Eagle
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 05:11:41 PM »

Ditto on the HD garage door opener-----------here is the simplest fix.

...unless you have a stock GPS mount already sitting right there....then it's not the "simplest"
My Old Scoots:
1996 Heritage Softail Classic - 2006 Road King Classic

My newest Scoot: 2011 Road Glide Ultra S.E 110 CVO

My other vehicle:
2005 F-250, CC,SB,PSD, MANUAL TRANNY, HIGHLY modified.

93-331-29psi

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Candy Cobalt/Twilight BLUE RG
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 03:24:21 PM »

I have an even better solution.  

Seriously though, I'd take better lighting over a GDO

SEURG

• Senior CVO Member
  • Deals Gap

• CVO1: 2011 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 05:13:24 PM »

I instaled the same, but just can't seem to get it working as shown in the video.....  :confused5:

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 24 queries.