Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Wrapping when changing to Fullsac cores?  (Read 2572 times)

Bearcat1

• Full CVO Member
  • "I fly on the wings of Red Eagle"
Wrapping when changing to Fullsac cores?
« on: April 19, 2012, 10:14:56 AM »

For those of you that are re-using the wrapping with your Fullsac cores, are you using all of what came with the stock baffles or are you just using some of it?  I just recently installed new 1.75 cores in my 2012 SG and went with the wrapping first.  I used all of what was there which wraps around quite a few times.  The sound this produced was just a ridiculously muffled sound.  And in my opinion sounded really tiny.  So I took the wrapping out and man did it open up.  The sound is beautiful now and deep but almost a tad loud for me at speed.  So just got me to thinking about the wrapping again.  I have heard the video that someone posted with the 1.75 cores and that sounds pretty good from the video.  I don't recall mine sounding like that at all which made me wonder if less packing may have been used. 

Also, can someone comment if Fullsac makes a quieter baffle than the 1.75 that's not offered on their website?  I thought I read where someone on here mentioned that.

Thanks

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
Re: Wrapping when changing to Fullsac cores?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 10:29:53 AM »

Also, can someone comment if Fullsac makes a quieter baffle than the 1.75 that's not offered on their website?  I thought I read where someone on here mentioned that.

Thanks

If it's not on their website then my suggestion is to just call them and ask Alice or Steve.
Or it could be that internet rumor about the titanium 1.625" cable operated baffles that expand to 2.37" activated with one good jerk of the stainless braided cable attached to the crash bar with a chrome cable clamp.
Just sayin, , , ,

:nixweiss:   :huepfenlol2:   :nervous:   :nixweiss:   :huepfenlol2:   :nervous:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 10:32:45 AM »

I put mine in nekkeid....1.75, sounds fine, runs fine.  :)

Bearcat1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 10:56:33 AM »

I put mine in nekkeid....1.75, sounds fine, runs fine.  :)

Oh yes, sounds fine and runs even better.  Also a beautiful idol.  I have the Fuel Moto header pipe installed with a Power Vision tuner.  Just performing beautifully and can probably get by as is but I think a tad quieter would make it absolutely perfect for my taste.

Bearcat1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 10:57:27 AM »

If it's not on their website then my suggestion is to just call them and ask Alice or Steve.
Or it could be that internet rumor about the titanium 1.625" cable operated baffles that expand to 2.37" activated with one good jerk of the stainless braided cable attached to the crash bar with a chrome cable clamp.
Just sayin, , , ,

:nixweiss:   :huepfenlol2:   :nervous:   :nixweiss:   :huepfenlol2:   :nervous:

SBB

Ha, yeah I hear ya...

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 11:46:42 AM »

I have read on here somewhere about somebody finding a fiberglass mat material that can be used to wrap the baffle, so you can add or subtract layers to get the sound level you desire (up to a point).  But I cannot find the thread.

I did find this company that offers both the fiberglass mat and a stainless mat that goes on first to keep from blowing the fiberglass out over time.  I don't know anything about the company or their product.

http://www.bristolcore.com/product_p/14194.htm
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 12:36:04 PM »

It's been my experience that the packing has more to do with the quality of the sound and not so much the volume.  A packed muffler tends to have a more mellow, less metallic sound, everything else being equal.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Alremc

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra Classic Electra Glide
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 03:04:41 PM »

It's been my experience that the packing has more to do with the quality of the sound and not so much the volume.  A packed muffler tends to have a more mellow, less metallic sound, everything else being equal.

Jerry
I'm with Jerry and I also think leaving, at least, some of the packing would cut down on some heat off the cans. I am figuring (hoping) that once the packing gets more "burnt" in, that the sound would be just right for me..not loud but not too mellow.
Frank
2012 CVO Ultra Classic
Fullsac X-Pipe
Rhineharts 4 in Cans in black
TTS MasterTune

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 05:11:54 PM »

Trial and error.
You can play with the density of the wrapping, and the length in the housing, you can also cut down the "stinger" that protrudes out the end. you can also change the diameter of the core.........lots of things to get the sound where you want it.
I tried different cores, and different wraps until I got what I wanted.
It's very subjective and you just have to tune the sound how you want it.
Not a choice where "one size fits all".
 8)
HOGMIKE

aushog

• 2008 Frosty
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 05:48:14 PM »

I went with the 2" cores on my 2008 ultra.  I was thinking about ordering 1.75", maybe we should swap?

glens

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 09:01:16 PM »

I didn't use CVO mufflers on my '12 103, they were stock '07 off my (then) Road King.  They had a wire screen wrapped with about 1/8" fiberglass and the assembly fit snug in the can.  I cut the right side shorter to fit behind the rear mount ring but could not do that with the left side because that baffle has a mount ring up front, too (notched to pass by the axle dent).  The cores I used where Fullsac's 2".  The sound from the left side was too "resonanty" so I had to unwrap the wire screen "tube", open the staples holding it into a tube, cutting it to fit between the two mount rings, and re-wrapping it.  Must've been 100' of continuous-glass-strand "tape" about 1" wide.  That was ~5000 miles ago now and I don't see needing to get back inside the cans again for quite some time.  The sound is perfect.  The slightly-obnoxious quality is completely gone.

If your muffler cans have that sort of "packing" I'd use it.  Maybe go to the hardware store and by some wire screen with about 1/4" openings and duplicate the assembly.  Damping the can itself so it stays cooler and doesn't resonate is just the ticket.

jwalker793

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 12:16:32 AM »

I used TechMat wrapped around the protective screen (removed the OEM Fiberglas) on 2" Fullsac cores. Works well, nice sound, not too loud. You can buy Techmat on eBay.

JW
124 137HP/147TQ

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 06:16:32 AM »

I used the OEM fiberglas I though that if you did not the muffler would discolor ??? from the heat.
DND

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 11:27:48 AM »

I used the OEM fiberglas I though that if you did not the muffler would discolor ??? from the heat.

The heat won't transfer because if you remove the packing, there is then air surrounding the cores. It will change the sound though.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 24 queries.