Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vibration in Front Suspension When Front Brake Applied  (Read 4457 times)

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

Vibration in Front Suspension When Front Brake Applied
« on: April 21, 2012, 12:06:10 PM »

Lately I have been having a vibration in the front end when i apply the front brake and as the RPM levels drop the front end vibrates until I come to a complete stop. Does not do this if I apply the front brakes heavy and come to a complete stop, Would this have anything to do with the connection between engine RPM and the ABS? Bike is a 2010 CVO ULTRA. Could front rotor be wrapped, can not check now bike is in Phoenix?

Thanks,

geezerglide
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 12:09:05 PM by geezerglide »

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Vibration in Front Suspension When Front Brake Applied
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 02:56:10 PM »

Lately I have been having a vibration in the front end when i apply the front brake and as the RPM levels drop the front end vibrates until I come to a complete stop. Does not do this if I apply the front brakes heavy and come to a complete stop, Would this have anything to do with the connection between engine RPM and the ABS? Bike is a 2010 CVO ULTRA. Could front rotor be wrapped, can not check now bike is in Phoenix?

Thanks,

geezerglide

Unless you're actually locking up the front wheel enough to activate the ABS, the ABS should have nothing to do with a vibration in the front end when slowing down.

There could be a few issues that could cause this.  You might have slightly warped rotors that will make the front end seem to shake.  Or loose neck bearings. Or possibly front wheel bearings starting to go south.

What I've found with the rubber mounted motors on the touring bikes is this, when at a stoplight and the clutch in, the bike shakes pretty good.  When I take off and as soon as the clutch is out, the shake goes away.  Conversely, when I'm slowing down and do not pull in on the clutch the bike stops pretty good vibration wise.  If I'm slowing down at say 25 mph and pull in the clutch and use the front brake to slow down, the bike will shake with the same vengeance as at a stoplight with the clutch in.

I have just chalked that off to the rubber mounting and I'm not worried about it.

But in your case you have a '10 model and you're just now asking about the shake in the front end, I would rule out the rubber mounting as that's been there from day one.  I would guess that you have one or both of your front rotors slightly warped.  I'm not sure on the solid rotors on bike if they can turn them like on cars, or if they replace them, but either way they will need to be checked out by a mechanic with the appropriate dial indicators to see how true they are.

I'm sure other will have possibly more pertinate suggestions, good luck with your issue.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 07:14:20 PM »

What Dan said X2  :2vrolijk_21:
Jesus is Lord

digga25

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 serg
    • CVO2: 2010 sesg
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 07:16:38 PM »

I had the same problem.Brought it to the dealer under warrantee and they found the rotors to be warped.They were replaced,N/C

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 07:46:35 PM »

Thanks to all, as I thought. With all I have been reading about faulty wheel bearings, have greased neck bearings, will have Chesters or Buddy Stubbs pick it up and check it out, have the HD ESP.

geezerglide

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 01:03:11 PM »

Thanks to all, as I thought. With all I have been reading about faulty wheel bearings, have greased neck bearings, will have Chesters or Buddy Stubbs pick it up and check it out, have the HD ESP.

geezerglide

Please let us know what the results were when fixed.

Thanks and good luck...
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 04:24:05 PM »

Will do, it might a week or two.

Thanks,

geezerglide

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 24 queries.