Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Swirl Removal  (Read 5607 times)

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
Swirl Removal
« on: April 21, 2012, 07:32:12 PM »

Who make the best product to remove swirl marks in black ember paint? Harley swirl & light scratch remover is not getting the job done!  :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 03:50:57 PM by danner55 »
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
Re: Swirl Removal
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 09:44:33 PM »

Never had to remove swirls, but the Glare four part system claims to remove all but the worst swirls and scratches.  The Glare Professional Polish is great.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 10:10:32 PM »

Who make the best product to remove swirl marks in black ember paint? Harley swirl & light scrath remover is not getting the job done! :nixweiss:

How are you trying to remove the swirls, by hand or with an orbital polishing machine?  I'd recommend a good orbital machine with a soft to medium foam pad and the light polishing compound of your choice.  I've used Finess-It by 3M with good results (it's what we used at the auto assembly plant I used to work at), and of course there are many products on the general market that will also do the job.  Start with the least abrasive product and work up to more aggressive stuff only if necessary, since you are removing small amounts of paint.

Some of the supposed swirl remover products for hand application are more of a temporary filler and hider than a true swirl remover.  If it doesn't remove any paint, it isn't removing swirls.  The temporary filler products might look good until you wash the bike a couple times.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

07CVO.RK

• Junior CVO Member
    • AB

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: 10 FLSTSE
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 10:11:22 AM »

x2 on  the Glare system. Just did my bike and my wife's. Bikes look like they just rolled off the assembly line.

www.glare.com
120R, 10.8:1 compression, T-man 660SM cams, 58 mm HPI TB, HPI V2 intake, D&D Boarzilla with ghost pipe, Barnett Scorpion clutch, Wild One 502 Apes. Road King converted to Road Glide

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 04:26:41 PM »

Does the Finesse-It or Glare system help with swirls/webbing on the windshields, too?

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 06:55:19 PM »

The Glare 4 part will take of swirls for sure...even small scratchs. They make a glass polish, but have never tried it. Lexan windshield, doubt it!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Harley_Charley

• Junior CVO Member
  • C&C

• CVO1: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Blue
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHXSE Candy Concord
    • CVO3: 2005 Honda Rune Illusion Blue
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 08:28:04 PM »

Who make the best product to remove swirl marks in black ember paint? Harley swirl & light scrath remover is not getting the job done! :nixweiss:

I applied Glare Spider by hand on my Candy Concord FLHXSE and it worked perfectly removing swirl marks and fine scratches. 

jrice454

• Junior CVO Member
  • A rock is a rock...

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 - Black Diamond/Crimson Tag
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 07:37:55 AM »

Who make the best product to remove swirl marks in black ember paint? Harley swirl & light scratch remover is not getting the job done!  :nixweiss:

I took the Griots plunge (3" orbital) and full line of polishes, lets me apply what level of polish I need depending on the scratch, product works as advertised.  If you have swirls and scratches you just need to take the time to work at it with the correct polish.  It takes time but the results are worth it.

Jim

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 09:23:10 AM »

I took the Griots plunge (3" orbital) and full line of polishes, lets me apply what level of polish I need depending on the scratch, product works as advertised.  If you have swirls and scratches you just need to take the time to work at it with the correct polish.  It takes time but the results are worth it.

Jim

I too purchased the 3" orbital but have not made a decision as to what product(s) I'm gonna try.
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

SE-5

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 09:45:22 PM »

I ordered some Glare products today, about $420 or so with the 15% discount.  After dropping that kind of cash I really hope it's all everyone says it is!!  Gonna do the bikes first then the my truck, which is 10 years old and the only time it gets washed is when I take it through the Costco car wash, and that is not too often. 

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 10:31:44 PM »

I use turtle ice clay bar.  Works great

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 10:35:03 PM »

What type of buffer/polisher do you recommend for chrome wheels??

SE-5

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 11:30:34 PM »

What type of buffer/polisher do you recommend for chrome wheels??
[/quot

Why Windex of course!  (greek family).

SmileMaker

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary
    • CVO2: 97 FLSTS Blue & White
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 01:55:20 PM »

L-lens Junkie

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 07:41:02 AM »

If you can find it, Astroshield in a metal/tin yellow can is awesome.  I'll be looking around the flea markets or swap meets for it this summer myself as I have been told they quit making it.  After wet sanding, I used to buff a coat of it on and then followed by a finish hand coat.  The owner of a body shop whom I worked for, that's what he demanded we used.  Not being able to find it in my area, this is what I use for a finishing glaze now.  I like it because it's readily available and rather inexpensive.  BTW, don't let this stuff dry..
http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g19216-ultimate-polish/
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 20 queries.