Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: antenna relocation  (Read 7928 times)

fxstdse

• fxstdse

• CVO1: 2003 fxstdse
    • CVO2: 2012 flhxse
antenna relocation
« on: May 03, 2012, 01:08:41 AM »

Hello new ride arriving mid june. Ordered detatchable king tour pak. Was told i would need antenna relocation kit  to mount tour pak.looking up part # and it said does not fit flhxse. ? Was wondering what everyone else has done . What about fairing antenna ? Heard the don't work to well. Ideas  ? Help ? Thanks
fxstdse

ThunderBueller

• Full CVO Member
Re: antenna relocation
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 01:22:30 AM »

The reason it won't work is the adapter required for the TP antenna jumper will not work with the CVO setup. I've gone through this trying to install a cb on my FLTRX with CVO fender. You have a couple less than perfect solutions; in-fairings hidden antenna or modify the antenna mounting bracket. I opted for the latter. It's ugly, unseen and functional as I wanted an antenna mast for more distance.
2010 FLTRX--Primo paint set
2005 FXSTB--Sold!
2003 XL1200C--Sold
2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt--Sold

Wanted--black Rumble collection saddlebag latches.

UFO_HOG

• Good Guys Wear Black
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange / Black
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 01:46:21 AM »

I put a 4" billet antenna on my Road Glide, it fits perfectly under the Tour Park and seems to work very well.
You gotta be smart enough to understand the rules of motorcycling, and dumb enough to think the game's important.

fxstdse

• fxstdse

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 03:21:47 AM »

The reason it won't work is the adapter required for the TP antenna jumper will not work with the CVO setup. I've gone through this trying to install a cb on my FLTRX with CVO fender. You have a couple less than perfect solutions; in-fairings hidden antenna or modify the antenna mounting bracket. I opted for the latter. It's ugly, unseen and functional as I wanted an antenna mast for more distance.
you modified existing mounting bracket ?  If so how ? thanks
fxstdse

fxstdse

• fxstdse

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 03:37:53 AM »

I put a 4" billet antenna on my Road Glide, it fits perfectly under the Tour Park and seems to work very well.
Thanks. Where might i find this ? part #  sounds like something I could live with. Any pics ? Info
? Would be appreciated. Thanks
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 12:33:52 PM by fxstdse »
fxstdse

ThunderBueller

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 05:01:27 AM »

you modified existing mounting bracket ?  If so how ? thanks

I cut two of them to drop the antenna down further. You'd need room for the height of the adapter and the coax that plugs into it. Otherwise it interferes with the saddlebag lid.
2010 FLTRX--Primo paint set
2005 FXSTB--Sold!
2003 XL1200C--Sold
2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt--Sold

Wanted--black Rumble collection saddlebag latches.

Bikerdude1018

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2010 FLSTSE2 CVO Softail Convertable-Sold
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 05:47:36 AM »

I cut two of them to drop the antenna down further. You'd need room for the height of the adapter and the coax that plugs into it. Otherwise it interferes with the saddlebag lid.

ThunderBueller, can you post a few pictures of what mod you did?

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 06:17:42 AM »

Buy the Hidden Antenna all done.
DND

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 07:00:02 AM »

Harley's be hidden antenna seems to be pretty good.  Easy install and the reception is ok.   I did that and I don't have a TP.   It works better than the shorty that came with the bike. 

DeBar

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 07:43:55 AM »

Did the same mod on my shunk tried the hidden Boom antenna from Harley worked like s..t returned it and bought the standard antenna and mounted it on the tour pack. Wasn't my 1st choice liked the way the tour pack looked without it -cleaner.  Mike

bhtko

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 10:20:19 AM »

Initially I had my antenna relocated to accomodate the Tour-Pak and it worked fine.  Part #76556-09 (Antenna Relocation Kit - AM/FM) 
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442073939&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302290635&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302290635&locale=en_US&bmUID=1336054472132&bmLocale=en_US

Since then I removed the antenna completely and installed the H-D's Boom! Audio Hidden AM/FM/WB Antenna (Part No. 76000266).  It works like crap - much, much worse than the relocated shorty antenna.  I listen to Sirius XM and my iPod anyway so not a big deal...

backroad Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Krypto
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 11:26:42 AM »

I bought the HD antenna kit with the thought of relocating it, but never installed it.

Then I bought a cheap inside the fairing antenna and it worked like crap.

Eventually, I inverted a modified connector and ran the antenna down the fender brace and alongside the left muffler pointing to the ground..

So far it's working at least 90% as good as stock.  Mostly I listen to IPOD, but like to check the weather band or radio every once in a while.

I may be riding to Erie on Saturday, so if you'd like to check it out, send me a PM and I'll let you know for sure if I head that way.

Here's a pic.

UFO_HOG

• Good Guys Wear Black
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange / Black
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 09:12:50 PM »

Thanks. Where might i find this ? part #  sounds like something I could live with. Any pics ? Info
? Would be appreciated. Thanks

I found mine at a truck customizing store, Nothing fancy about them, threads are all the same, You should be able to find them on line, about $20.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 09:17:20 PM by UFO_HOG »
You gotta be smart enough to understand the rules of motorcycling, and dumb enough to think the game's important.

hbens

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Candy Cobalt/Starlight Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2012 SESG Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 01:40:36 PM »

I did the same as reply #12. I spent a little more and got the antenna with flames for better reception ( :D )
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity!

Dragula 2 into 1, S&S 640 EZ start cams pistons (10.8 compression) flywheel and Timken bearing, Vee Twin Racing Stage IV ported heads, K&N air cleaner, Power Vision with WBO2 auto tuner, king tour pak, solo & two up mounts, pass. floor boards, Headwinds spot/turn signal lights, zumo 660 GPS, ssaddlebag guard & pouches, Progress Suspension cartridg

jcd520

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 05:02:01 PM »

Surprisingly you don't have to have anything. The antennae will just lay back underneath the tourpak and there is a convenient little ridge in the bottom of the pak to hold it in place. Been running mine like that since purchase. You can't see it at all with the pak on and when you remove it the antennae just pops right back to the stock position.Also you don't have to unplug anything when removing the tourpak. I also have the lid spoiler on mine so the only thing I have to unplug is the one plug for the lighted tourpak lid spoiler. Also you don't lose any ability to pick up a signal like the hidden antennae do . Try it ,  you will like it!
Here is a picture. You can just barely see the antennae under the tourpak. click on the picture and it should get bigger for a closer view.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 05:04:45 PM by jcd520 »
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 24 queries.