Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: HELP!!!!  (Read 1976 times)

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
HELP!!!!
« on: July 28, 2006, 08:19:06 AM »

Man, do I need some help.  My goal has been to make my bike run a little better and sound a little better without being too loud.  For my first attempt I ordered the Freedom Cycle package and installed it.  It was way to loud and I hated the sound.  Took everything off, sent it back and re-installed everything back to stock.  This past week I installed a Ness Big Sucker Stage 1 air kit, a Power Commander and the Vance & Hines Dresser Duals.  Then I bought a set of HD Sceamin Eagle Performance mufflers.  Last night, with the temp at 90 and the humidity about the same, my buddy and I installed the SE muffs.  A little louder than I was hoping for but I thought it sounded like crap.  Nothing close to the deep rumble I was hoping to hear when I fired it up.  So off came the SE's and we tried installing the stock mufflers on the Dresser Duals.  They basically sounded like they did with the stock pipes but with a total loss of power.  So after two hours of sweating my a$$ off I threw in the towel.  I'm so frustrated at this point I don't know what to do.  Go back to stock??  

Please no jokes, only serious suggestions.  My frustration level can't handle any smart remarks.  

Thanks guys!

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
Re: HELP!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 08:30:36 AM »

DAMN!

Wish I had know, would have taken those Freedom pipes!
Did you get a 100% refund?

So is what your looking for are pipes that are as quiet as stock but perform??????
Just wondering?

[smiley=nixweiss.gif]

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 08:44:07 AM »

Dakota, man I feel for ya.  Over the last three years and two bikes I've been through more mufflers and exhausts than I care to mention. Got to where I can change pipes in the dark with my eyes closed. LOL  Everybodys ears are different, so it's hard to recommend pipes because you might or might not like em.  That being said, I didn't want too loud either, so now I'm running the V&H duals w/Bassanni 4" slip ons. Not loud at all unless under hard acceleration, and can hear tunes great at freeway speeds. If you wanted quieter, you could use the same mufflers w/stock headers.  Or use something like the Supertrapp slip ons so you can adjust the sound to something you like. So many choices, so little time.  LOL   Good luck.   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 08:46:04 AM »

Freedom Cycle was great.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 09:38:55 AM by dakotazeb »

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 08:58:28 AM »

I Put HD Screamin Eagles on my 05 RK

they were a good compromise, quiet until you needed some noise......

in theory they dont make them any more, but most dealers can still find a set for you

hope you work it out

cvTony

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 10:20:16 AM »

A friend got an 88" FLHTC and put on V&H basic slip ons. I took it for a ride and thought the sound was perfect, so I bought a pair before my bike was delivered. I didn't account for the 15 cubic inch difference, however! Or, the different camming (which will affect the sound depending on the timing of the closing of the exhaust valve). So, I think mine are too loud and not "punchy" like my '90 EVO dresser (with Crane cam) was with Kerker slip ons. I'm getting used to it, however and it runs great. A buddy with the watermelon bike has V&H tru-duals and thunder header slip ons, so by comparison my bike doesn't sound so ridiculous anymore. And, while they are a simple slash-cut style the muffler is a 4" diameter and looks good on the bike. The baffle is only about 14" long with about a 1 1/2" diameter opening. That's a big can for making noise. It runs good on a stage 1 download and H/F A/F.
2006 FLHTCUSE B/C
1993 Sportster 883/1220
1990 FLHTC Peace Officer S/E (gone and missed)
1974 XLCH 1000 (gone, thank God)

Pap

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 01:43:07 PM »

Freedom Cycle was great.
There are risks and costs to a program of action.  But they are far less than the long range risks and costs of comfortable inaction.

luckyrebel

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 06:07:46 PM »

I'm running V&H True Duals, V&H Ovals and Stage 1 AC and love the sound and performance.

Ride Safe,
Pap

Same here.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 06:39:57 PM »

I would suggest at this point that you try to hear bikes similar to yours (103ci TC) with different pipes on them. Try to find something that you like and go with them. I know this may not be want you want to hear now, but to prevent you from all the hassle of taking off and installing exhaust systems you aren't happy with this may be your best bet. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

I can tell that you are now getting really frustrated and understand how you can feel. When it came time for me picking my exhaust I was able to hear them on a bike similar to mines (03 SERK), and actually ride the bike so I knew what I was getting. Yes they are loud, but I came from a V&H 2into1 Pro-Pipe w/competition baffle, so I was used to my bikes being on the loud side. Try going to some bike events (bike nights, bike shows, rallies, etc) where you may be able to find a better variety of exhaust systems to compare to. Ask owners if you can hear the bikes run (try standing behind, in front, and possible sit on bike w/it running if the owner will allow you), then try to find something you can live with. Good luck.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 07:44:25 PM by flhtcse2004 »
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 06:46:26 PM »

Hey FireD00d.....congrats on going into the new 2.5 posts zone.  har!  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 06:54:42 PM »

Hey FireD00d.....congrats on going into the new 2.5 posts zone.
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

cigarmike

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2006, 07:42:33 PM »

I havent heard the V & H's true duals...discribe the sound please, freedoms are pretty throaty.....but I hate the void in the chrome cover by the foot pad.

Bubba

• 1K CVO Member
  • LIVE TO RIDE! RIDE TO EAT!

• CVO1: 2006 CUSE B/S
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2006, 09:41:00 PM »

Hey Zeb welcome to BUBBA's world....... Sorry to hear about your T R O U B L E S... I kinda did the same thing you did but with Rineharts.  The only thing is once you ride with the Freedom exhaust or the Rineharts with the Freedom PC map man it hard to go to anything else as far as the HP & TQ.  I Loved the Rineharts on my RK (no Radio, CB, Intercom Ect.) so the loudness of the sound did not bother me.  The sound was awesome as the performance. But now on the CUSE with all the Comm. stuff you can
Any-day above ground is worth living so let's go riding!!!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2006, 10:25:25 PM »

'zeb,

You are definitely not alone.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2006, 10:42:11 PM »

I talked to Supertrapp about their new SE mufflers.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 10:43:01 PM by dakotazeb »
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 20 queries.