Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FXR Swingarm Bearings vs Bushings  (Read 7741 times)

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
FXR Swingarm Bearings vs Bushings
« on: June 03, 2012, 01:12:31 AM »

Bike is going to the shop for various upgrades including new puppies and rear belt. My question is.
When the swingarm is removed to install the new belt, I thought about using new bearings or bushings.
Stock setup new is about $250. CCE with new style bearings that fit the smaller shaft of the FXR or Sta- Bo Bushings or something similar. Has anyone used the aftermarket parts? Good / Bad? Pros/Cons???
Thanks
Ltank

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
Re: FXR Swingarm Bearings vs Bushings
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 01:19:07 AM »

Darn spell check or big fingers on the small keys on smartphone makes me feel stupid.
I wanted to type pullies not puppies.
Ltank

TLS105

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 1999 Blue Flame FXR3
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 04:36:36 PM »

You might be able to sell those puppies for a good chunk of cash though.. I am also interested in the answer dealing with bushings vs. bearings. I know I read up on the CCE set up and installation requires a device to push the seals in. Only a shop would have this press. That little detail is missing from CCE's page. Look at Glide Pro's system, I believe they work on FXRs. Or, give the guy a call, he seems friendly in his videos.

Bullwinkle

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 09:11:55 PM »

No big deal pressing the bearings in. CCE includes the depth spacer for installation and a large c clamp can work if you can't find a press.  The CCE kit is worth it.  Others may be too but I have the CCE and can say from experience.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 09:14:04 PM by Bullwinkle »

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 10:20:58 PM »

When I had my '95 FLHTP, I got rid of the crappy stock Cleve-Bloc swing arm bushings and put in the solid bronze swing arm bushings from True-Track. I got their complete Trackula kit with the solid bronze bushings, their swing arm axle, their rear-end stabilizer, and their front motor mount. It improved the handling of that old Geezer Glide dramatically by eliminating the slop in the swing arm. I pressed in the new bushings by freezing them, and then using a homemade jig with a 1/2" threaded rod and some big washers - and a LOT of torquing. Took some pounding to get the old bushings out first tho...

On the FXR you might not need the rear stabilizer - but their solid bronze bushings are awesome. They do list a kit for FXRs on their website. You should call them to discuss.

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 04:48:17 AM »

Bike is going to the shop for various upgrades including new puppies and rear belt. My question is.
When the swingarm is removed to install the new belt, I thought about using new bearings or bushings.
Stock setup new is about $250. CCE with new style bearings that fit the smaller shaft of the FXR or Sta- Bo Bushings or something similar. Has anyone used the aftermarket parts? Good / Bad? Pros/Cons???
Thanks
Ltank

So what did you install?

The FXR's are "tight" enough that the stabos or stiffys are perhaps a bit over the top, although I gave careful consideration to both....personally when it comes to the isolators, or bushings, or donuts as some call them, or spacers I would simply replace with new updated ones, in fact there is a new HD part number for them, and they are suppose to be wider....which may be better. I just bought the new version for my 2002 RKC and will see how they work in that bike....Our FXR's and the touring bikes have the same part number for the isolators.

Regards,

Tim

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 11:49:14 AM »

The swingarm was removed when the 6 speed gear set, granny and rear Lilly change out
I thought while it was apart would be the time to change if needed. Kept the old stuff it was in great shape
Ltank

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 20 queries.