Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bike did not start....  (Read 1101 times)

TEQUILA -aka- RED RUM

• Senior CVO Member
Bike did not start....
« on: June 16, 2012, 01:30:05 PM »

Stopped for gas in Laconia NH ....shut bike off ...turned bike on no small noise from fuel pump and no engine light ...turned over but no start....turn everything off turned the key...off on...ten times turned key on kill switch on noise came back engine light on ..bike started....what was wrong ,can this be fixed..Keith

TEQUILA -aka- RED RUM

• Senior CVO Member
Re: Bike did not start....
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 02:46:38 PM »

Will this happen again..

TEQUILA -aka- RED RUM

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 03:09:20 PM »

Do you think maybe ..battery week on key fob..  ?

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 03:13:45 PM »

Same problem on a friends bike! Needed fob batteries. Only good for one year

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 03:14:35 PM »

Did the alarm sound off?
Tequila makes her clothes fall off....

TEQUILA -aka- RED RUM

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 04:08:57 PM »

No alarm sound off...thank you I will change battery

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 05:17:03 PM »

Similar thing happened to me a couple of weekends ago.  Stopped for gas then lifted bike off of the jiffy stand and the alarm goes off?!?!?? Bike won't start?!?!??  I had just changed the fob battery the week before!!  In the back of my mind I "sorta" remember reading here quite awhile ago about this also happening to someone at a gas station.  I pushed the bike out from the pumps a few feet, the alarm stops, and it starts......maybe something to do with the metal canopy or...????   :nixweiss:
Tequila makes her clothes fall off....

mark

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 07:38:32 PM »

Read this some time ago on this forum - take your extra fob, install the fob battery in it upside down, and keep it in your saddlebag.  This will keep the extra fob from working, but if your primary fob goes out or you lose a fob on the road, all you have to do is open the extra fob, turn the battery over, and you're back in business.

ScubaDM

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 10:33:20 AM »

Similar thing happened to me a couple of weekends ago.  Stopped for gas then lifted bike off of the jiffy stand and the alarm goes off?!?!?? Bike won't start?!?!??  I had just changed the fob battery the week before!!  In the back of my mind I "sorta" remember reading here quite awhile ago about this also happening to someone at a gas station.  I pushed the bike out from the pumps a few feet, the alarm stops, and it starts......maybe something to do with the metal canopy or...????   :nixweiss:

Was it leaning over a little farther than normal? Just last night a friend of mine and myself were riding, his bike is not a FLHXSE just a normal FLHX with an alarm. However, we stopped I was parked up the hill a bit on a flat spot but he was parked a little farther down that made his bike lean over slightly more than normal. His bike would not start and the alarm kept going off. He's just changed the battery in the fob the month before. We rolled it down the hill to a flat spot and viola it stopped and started acting normally. We surmised the extra lean was just enough to upset the lean sensor a bit.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 02:02:08 PM »

Was it leaning over a little farther than normal? Just last night a friend of mine and myself were riding, his bike is not a FLHXSE just a normal FLHX with an alarm. However, we stopped I was parked up the hill a bit on a flat spot but he was parked a little farther down that made his bike lean over slightly more than normal. His bike would not start and the alarm kept going off. He's just changed the battery in the fob the month before. We rolled it down the hill to a flat spot and viola it stopped and started acting normally. We surmised the extra lean was just enough to upset the lean sensor a bit.

If the bike was leaning enough to cause the bank angle sensor to shut the system down, it's highly unlikely it was still on the jiffy stand.  In other words, if in fact the bank angle sensor shut it down while it was on the jiffy stand, there is something wrong with that sensor.

Many folks who have had this issue have questioned if the problem isn't due to some sort of electronic interference.  I know a couple folks claim their bikes do it every time they park in a specific spot.  If that really is the case, H-D needs to fix it.  In the meantime, if anyone wants to test the theory that the failure to start is related to the fob not communicating with the bike properly, just use the personal security code and enter it with the turn signal buttons.  If the bike then starts, at least you will have a better idea of whether the problem is related to the security system or not.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 06:47:28 PM »

Many folks who have had this issue have questioned if the problem isn't due to some sort of electronic interference. 
Jerry

Same thing happened to two guys I was riding with last year, they were parked near hydro towers.

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 08:40:57 PM »

I saw this happen on a 10 Ultra and another 10 SG plus an 09 Trike, not CVO's..

Console switch went bad, continuous switching back and forth would finally turn the bike on. Dealer had to replace the console switch, no more issues after that.

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 20 queries.