Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Primary chain whine or too tight.  (Read 18570 times)

Kathy

• Hayden Enterprises
  • Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
    • Hayden Enterprises - M6 Automatic Primary Chain Tensioner
Primary chain whine or too tight.
« on: June 23, 2012, 05:29:40 PM »

Hello everyone, this is just a general question for you 2007 and newer Harley owners, and 2006 Dynas. Basically we were seeing how many of you have experienced your primary chain getting too tight with the new "self adjusting" tensioner Harley put in the new primary.

Please post your comments, we'd like to hear from you and know your issues.

Thanks again, we're here to help.
http://www.haydensm6.com

We're here to help.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
Re: Primary chain whine or too tight.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 11:44:03 PM »

i had my chain checked today on my 04 seeg..  I have the HD auto chain tensioner.. Seems like the chain had tightened up almost completely...  really bad vibration at 1200 rpm.  I have the M6 being istalled tomorrow,,,   hope that solves my problem...  iI have a Baker DD6 in there and their kit did come with a new primary chain and sproket if i remember correctly.   i hace app 35k miles on that chain and i hope its still okay..  I guess we will see when its all buttoned up.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 10:00:28 AM »

Mine was too tight on my '11 SESG and making noise.....put the Hayden in and it seems better.

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 10:40:38 AM »

Interesting....I wonder if this will have any longer term increase in compensator life.
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 05:36:19 PM »

I had to go for a new chain today. It was too stretched out and I'm sure it's the tensioner's fault.  Or mine for having that goofy thing on in the first place.   5 shims and It was still slapping the top of the inner primary.  I have one coming from Baker.  Be here in a few days.  The bad vibration at 1200 seemed much better tho.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 06:04:09 PM »

Kathy - thanks for posting! Hayden makes good products.

I haven't had the "too tight" primary chain issue... yet. I say "yet" because i am quite sure it will happen at some point. I have never liked the new ratcheting chain tensioner.

When it DOES happen - and it will - I'll be sending you an order.

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 08:02:38 PM »

:cherry:
As many of us know,  the Hayden is a good product and I used one on my old Road King and it worked just fine.  However,  I now use the So.West outfits hydraulic assist tensioner.   The problem with the H.D. tensioner is those damn ratchet teeth.  It does (NOT) allow the chain to slacken and so when the bike gets shut down and gets cold,  the chain gets like a banjo string.   A tensioner that does not have ratchet teeth and uses either springs/shims and/or hydraulic assist,  does not have that problem. :drink:

98fxstc

• Full CVO Member
  • 09 FXDFSE
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 11:16:24 AM »

However,  I now use the So.West outfits hydraulic assist tensioner.   

Do you mean SO Hotbikes or is there another hydraulic chain tensioner out there?

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 11:22:05 AM »

:drink:
Yeah,  that is correct SO Hotbikes,  I can never remember the exact name.   

Kathy

• Hayden Enterprises
  • Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 12:53:16 AM »

Interesting....I wonder if this will have any longer term increase in compensator life.

Hello, yes we've heard feed back from some customers that prove the M6 will increase compensator life due to not allowing the stock tensioner and chain set up to become too tight and cause extra stress.

Hope this helps a bit with your question. If you need more info, call us 800-M6-IN-USA or contact us. We're here to help.

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 11:24:09 AM by Kathy »

We're here to help.

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 09:07:59 AM »

I put the Hayden tensioner on my 09 and it works great.

I don't know the answer to this yet, but I am betting it is going to at least help.
I just put a new compensator on mine at the same time so I guess we will see.

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 03:50:11 AM »

Thanks Kathy and Guppy. I was going to have one installed during vacation but it came and went so fast it made my head spin. Had the 5000 miles service done at an Indy in Spokane and he mentioned something about it but I don't have the receipt with me here. Fantastic guy and the work he did on my bike made it so much smoother. Maybe I'll do this mod next year on vacation. She's not going anywhere until then.
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 09:39:38 AM »

I wish HD would have left the primary chain adjustment alone so we could adjust it ourselves during a normal service. It was no big deal, and at least you could get in there and take a look without pulling the entire primary cover. I had a self adjusting primary chain tensioner ( I am pretty sure it was a Hayden) a long time back in my Evo and after the 2nd one went out (it had the double springs which broke) I put the stock tensioner back on. No primary noise and very smooth shifts. I am not putting down the product, but that was my experience. Other guys I rode with had the same tensioner with no problems. I believe this was back in the late 90's. At the time there was also a company that made a hydraulic primary chain tensioner, but I can't remember the name. Maybe it would have worked better. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

Kathy

• Hayden Enterprises
  • Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 09:51:54 AM »

I wish HD would have left the primary chain adjustment alone so we could adjust it ourselves during a normal service. It was no big deal, and at least you could get in there and take a look without pulling the entire primary cover. I had a self adjusting primary chain tensioner ( I am pretty sure it was a Hayden) a long time back in my Evo and after the 2nd one went out (it had the double springs which broke) I put the stock tensioner back on. No primary noise and very smooth shifts. I am not putting down the product, but that was my experience. Other guys I rode with had the same tensioner with no problems. I believe this was back in the late 90's. At the time there was also a company that made a hydraulic primary chain tensioner, but I can't remember the name. Maybe it would have worked better. CAHDBIKER

Hello and thanks for your comment. The only way we've been able to recreate spring breakage is by the 5/8" "gap" on the spring compression measurement becoming too large. You see when there is no, or not enough, preload on our shoe and spring system, the top of the springs loose contact with the shoe and create a "slapping" sound. This is the actual shoe hitting or tapping the springs which causes a sudden impact. So rather than a nice even compression/extension with our springs, they receive pulses and yes this in some cases with snap the outer one. Usually the only time this is able to happen is when you have had some chain stretch and the M6 is too loose in your bike, this can be solved by simply adding one of our shims to the bottom shim pack, which will bring you right back into the 5/8" compression measurement. We hope this clears things is for you and please contact us and let us know if you need replacement springs, we're here to help.

Thanks again,
  Hayden Enterprises

We're here to help.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 10:33:45 AM »

Hello and thanks for your comment. The only way we've been able to recreate spring breakage is by the 5/8" "gap" on the spring compression measurement becoming too large. You see when there is no, or not enough, preload on our shoe and spring system, the top of the springs loose contact with the shoe and create a "slapping" sound. This is the actual shoe hitting or tapping the springs which causes a sudden impact. So rather than a nice even compression/extension with our springs, they receive pulses and yes this in some cases with snap the outer one. Usually the only time this is able to happen is when you have had some chain stretch and the M6 is too loose in your bike, this can be solved by simply adding one of our shims to the bottom shim pack, which will bring you right back into the 5/8" compression measurement. We hope this clears things is for you and please contact us and let us know if you need replacement springs, we're here to help.

Thanks again,
  Hayden Enterprises

Your directions state 1/2" gap between shoe and plate.   :nixweiss:
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 20 queries.