Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Best finish for 4 point docking hardware, chrome or black.  (Read 6596 times)

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
Best finish for 4 point docking hardware, chrome or black.
« on: July 04, 2012, 11:17:13 PM »

I guess the bike color matters but on a skunk ( white and black ), I am unsure which will look better chrome or black. They are the same price, but I only want to buy them once. Last thought is painting white ( to match ) but not sure I want to. What do my fellow CVO members think?
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
Re: Best finish for 4 point docking hardware, chrome or black.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 12:13:34 AM »

I have the Maple SERGC and faced the same issue a couple of months ago. Decided on the black and I think it was a good decision. Looks great. Don't really think you can go wrong though as there is both black and chrome on the bike. Black seems to "fit in" a little smoother...
Alan

Guthrie52

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 01:57:31 AM »

I have the skunk and went with the black docking kit.  I am happy with the result.  I agree, chrome would also look good.  You might also consider what you are going to "dock" to it and whether its chrome or black.  Either way, get the H-D docking caps to dress it up (they are magnetic).  If you need a pic, I will fire up my (slow as crap) laptop.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 08:08:17 PM »

I have a skunk.

I got the black two point docking hardware.  When nothing is on the bike, I use the chrome caps on the mounting points.

My solo tour pack rack, I had powder coated black as harley only offers it chrome.

The premium luggage rack on my chopped tour pack I also had powder coated gloss black, that stands out far more than the chrome did.

2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

scttgr8

• Senior CVO Member
  • my new GLIDE

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 10:22:49 PM »

powdercoated mine to match the blue strut covers
2012 HD Road Glide Custom CVO (FLTRXSE) Candy Cobalt/Twilight Blue with Real Smoke Graphics I added wrapped chrome license plate bracket/cover, saddlebag guard rails, replaced black Engine covers w/Chrome, RCx slip-ons mounted on Fullsac "C" X head pipe, TTS tuner tuned! Enjoying life ...living the dream!!!

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 10:47:58 PM »

FBI setup is WAY cleaner looking

Sea Biscuit

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 11:20:06 PM »

Went with chrome and I have a "skunk" as well...if you are going black, I would do all black (docking hardware and caps, and all tour-pak/passenger rack brackets and black latches and hinges for tour-pak)...just remember that if you go all black, your locking set for the tour-pak will have to be chrome as HD does not yet offer a black locking set...that may or may not "bother" you if you are going to add a tour-pak.

Either way, it is going to look good...I haven't yet met a "skunk" that I didn't like, black or chrome! :)

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 08:17:43 PM »

Either way, it is going to look good...I haven't yet met a "skunk" that I didn't like, black or chrome! :)
I fully agree, the best one for 2012. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 04:58:05 PM »

thanks for the feedback, going chrome, might try powder coating ( white ) a black set next year.
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

Handymaninny

• Junior CVO Member
  • I'm happiest when I'm riding!!!

• CVO1: 2013 CVO RGC
    • CVO2: 2008 V-rod Anniversary #714
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 03:40:08 PM »

Just paint them to match your bike......a little extra $$$$ goes a long way besides....to no price on happiness :bananarock:

HD Kid

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: Scarlet Red & Charcoal Slate VRSCSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO2: Kryptonite FLHXSE2
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 08:57:07 PM »

If I hadn't went with the  FBI kit, I would do like Handy did and paint the docking hardware on the bike to match and go with the black tour pac mount. Like others have said, can't go wrong either way. Both look good

Phixtit

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2013 H-D® FLTRXSE2-ANV CVO™ Road Glide® Custom 110

• CVO1: 2013 CVO FLTRXSE2-ANV
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 12:39:49 AM »

If I hadn't went with the  FBI kit, I would do like Handy did and paint the docking hardware on the bike to match and go with the black tour pac mount. Like others have said, can't go wrong either way. Both look good
Is the FBI Kit a replacement for the 4-Point Docking OR 2-Point Docking?

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 11:23:53 AM »

I really don't know what Harley was thinking with their 2 and 4 pt docking hardware. Painted it looks MUCH MUCH nicer for sure! If I was running a king pack all the time I would probably go with the Harley kit. For me, I use a chopped kit with a bag on top maybe 6 trips a year, so I went with the FBI kit. The FBI kit replaces the 2 and 4 pt kit, so you only use the FBI kit. For the passenger backrest you have to bolt an adapter plate onto the backrest, but it isn't noticeable. When you don't have the passenger backrest or tour pak on, you hardly can see the FBI kit.

The FBI kit used the shock tower for the front mount, and they provide a post that you screw into one of the factory 4 point holes for the rear location. I always questions if this was strong enough. I talked to FBI and they said they had only heard of a couple failures and it was from people that  overloaded the mount. I looked at all kinds of ways to beef up the mount so I would be more comfortable. What I found turned out to be super easy, and made a major difference in strength.

When you order the Tour pak mount, and when you order the backrest adapter mount, each come with a set of post used to mount the units. You only need one set of posts as the TP and backrest both mount to the same locations. I took the spare set of posts and screwed them into the rear 4 pt mount holes. The FBI tour pak rack sits on top of these and adds a major amount of support. the posts are about 1-1/2", I trimmed the rear ones down to about an inch because that is all then needed to stick out. I only leave these in when I am on long trips because you can see them, but they are still way more consealed than the HD 4 post kit. Here is a picture of the rear of my bike with the FBI kit, I can post one with the extra set of posts after the weekend if anybody wants to see.

E-Skunk

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 12:51:48 PM »

Just paint them to match your bike......a little extra $$$$ goes a long way besides....to no price on happiness :bananarock:
That looks awesome! I just put black ones on my skunk but mot have to pull them off next year and paint them.  I was thinking about doing the same with a custom plate cover too. :2vrolijk_21:

scttgr8

• Senior CVO Member
  • my new GLIDE

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 05:30:03 PM »

:soapbox:    :nixweiss:
2012 HD Road Glide Custom CVO (FLTRXSE) Candy Cobalt/Twilight Blue with Real Smoke Graphics I added wrapped chrome license plate bracket/cover, saddlebag guard rails, replaced black Engine covers w/Chrome, RCx slip-ons mounted on Fullsac "C" X head pipe, TTS tuner tuned! Enjoying life ...living the dream!!!
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 24 queries.