Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dead iPod  (Read 1637 times)

Jerry/MD

Dead iPod
« on: July 11, 2012, 09:29:46 PM »

Well, the iPod on my FLTRUSE has died. :( I wonder if last weeks 100 degree temps took their toll.

Verified by plugging in my Nano I use at work. Plus, no response when plugged into my PC and iTunes. Anybody else had a failure? Plus, a search on here suggests H-D does not honor the warranty on this device. Is that true?

Jerry

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
Re: Dead iPod
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 10:14:05 PM »

Mine died when I first got my bike and dealer told me it was covered but also told me to hold down all 3 buttons and it would re boot it's self. That worked and I have never had a problem with it since... Good luck
Alan

Deep Blue Dives

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: "Cali" - 2012 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 11:40:11 PM »

Don't think the temperatures played into it unless your battery was faulty.  That is the biggest issue that Apple has had with any of their devices - the battery.  They have had recalls in the past, and that is worth checking into.  I think a dealer could play either end there - the device has a 1 year warranty, but is sold as part of the HD bike.  Let us know how that plays out!!!

Worse case is that they are cheap these days if you don't have success either way.
"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be" ~Pink Floyd
"Counting all the assholes in the room...I'm definitely not alone" ~Volbeat

Jerry/MD

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 05:28:59 AM »

Don't think the temperatures played into it unless your battery was faulty.  That is the biggest issue that Apple has had with any of their devices - the battery.  They have had recalls in the past, and that is worth checking into.  I think a dealer could play either end there - the device has a 1 year warranty, but is sold as part of the HD bike.  Let us know how that plays out!!!

Worse case is that they are cheap these days if you don't have success either way.

Yep. I'm 99.9% sure it's the battery. Unit is completely dead and yes I've heard about the recalls. Will investigate further.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 05:45:19 AM »

I have a nano that I have been using for years.  The battery lasts about an hour then dead.  But it works fine when it's charging or playing on the bike when connected.    I just live with it. I'm sure I get a new one, the same thing will happen.  :nixweiss:

mattm

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 09:20:26 AM »

Try resetting it? 

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 10:30:57 AM »

I have a new Nano 16g mini with the little LCD screen.  It is not one that came with a HD, but bought at Walmart.

I have played this thing on the battery for more than 40 hours without charging many times.  I bought it specifically for the '09 SERG and my iPod Interface Module.  I've not had to reset it yet, but it's nice to know the three button option is there if needed.

To address the durability and heat issues, I had mine clipped to my work shirt collar and forgot to remove it before throwing my shirt into the dirty clothes basket.  My wife missed it and threw it in the washer.  It went through a hot water cycle and then got thrown into the dryer for another very hot cycle.  When she gave it to me it was still almost too hot to hold.

Amazingly it works just like before.  I've yet to have an issue with it after the wash/dry cycles.  It's a very robust piece.

I also have a very old Gen 3 click wheel 40g and it's battery is shot, but I use it in a dock with power without any issues.

Good luck with your warranty...
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Jerry/MD

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 10:59:41 AM »

Try resetting it? 

No response of any kind. Will not charge...will not reset. No doubt in my mind the battery is dead.

BTW this is one of the newer square-shaped iPods. It is not the original rectangular unit with the bar and shield. I did notice today it has 'Custom Vehicle Operations' etched into the clothing clip which makes it 'Harley Specific'.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 11:03:26 AM »

Jerry,

try placing the ipod in the freezer for like 10 minutes then take it out and put it on the charger and try and turn it on after a minute or so.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Jerry/MD

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 11:15:21 AM »

Jerry,

try placing the ipod in the freezer for like 10 minutes then take it out and put it on the charger and try and turn it on after a minute or so.

You got it. If that works you and I have to chat...................... ;)

mattm

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 05:32:58 PM »

maybe time for a trip to the Genus Bar, don't waste your time with harley.

BADBAGG

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 O/B D& D Fat Cat , SE 259E Cams , High Compression Pistons , TTS Mastertune, Yaffe Monkeys bars , Yaffe Monkey engine guard , Kenwood DVD/CD radio 650 watts 7 speakers. C & C solo seat , Motorcycle Armor, Klock Werks 8" windsheild,30 tooth pulley
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 07:41:26 PM »

not sure about your neck of the woods, but here in Tampa , Fl there is a place called the iHospital. They can fix anything from apple. They can certainly change the battery and are very reasonable. I believe they are a franchise. Check in your area...

Jerry/MD

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 09:09:30 PM »

Jerry,

Did not work. Thanks for the suggestion. FYI: Service Dept at my local dealer says it is covered under warranty.

Jerry/MD

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 09:28:40 AM »

Mine died when I first got my bike and dealer told me it was covered but also told me to hold down all 3 buttons and it would re boot it's self. That worked and I have never had a problem with it since... Good luck

Oh boy....after doing this a bunch of times I FINALLY got a response.  :nixweiss: Battery was completely drained. I successfully recharged and we shall see.

I'm gonna use a quote from one of my electrical engineering colleagues: "It's intermittent some of the time."  :P

Deep Blue Dives

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: "Cali" - 2012 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 10:06:01 AM »

Oh boy....after doing this a bunch of times I FINALLY got a response.  :nixweiss: Battery was completely drained. I successfully recharged and we shall see.

I'm gonna use a quote from one of my electrical engineering colleagues: "It's intermittent some of the time."  :P

At least you didn't let the smoke out....once that happens....can never be fixed again.......

Is it all working good now?  If the battery was completely drained, it may do it quickly again.
"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be" ~Pink Floyd
"Counting all the assholes in the room...I'm definitely not alone" ~Volbeat

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 24 queries.