Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Engine Heat  (Read 3344 times)

bhtko

• Full CVO Member
Engine Heat
« on: July 14, 2012, 01:01:24 AM »

I just got done with a 2,000 mile ride on my 2012 SESG.  I could go on and on about the things that I loved about the bike but one thing that really surprised me was the incredible amount of heat that comes off of this engine, especially on the right side.  This is my first CVO and I have not experienced anything like this on my previous bikes.  For my wife on the back it was almost unbearable at times.  Is this normal and, if so, is there anything that can be done to reduce it?  Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
Re: Engine Heat
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 01:10:07 AM »

you can read a zillion threads on here about heat..   Get rid of the cat and get a new head pipe from Fulsac or someone like that,,, then get some free-er flowing tail pipes and a good tune,,  Then you can do what I did,, take te lowers off,,  That does the best job of all ..    I did all that and I really dont hane many "heat" issues any longer..

bhtko

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 01:23:14 AM »

you can read a zillion threads on here about heat..   Get rid of the cat and get a new head pipe from Fulsac or someone like that,,, then get some free-er flowing tail pipes and a good tune,,  Then you can do what I did,, take te lowers off,,  That does the best job of all ..    I did all that and I really dont hane many "heat" issues any longer..

Thanks for the reply.  I have tried reading thought some of the other threads but, to be honest, the nuts and bolts mechanical stuff is definitely not my strong suit.  I already have V&H power duals on the bike.  Does removing the cat affect the bike in any way other than helping with the heat?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 01:59:36 AM by bhtko »

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 01:57:29 AM »

lets it breathe better,,,  lose it...

Dryer

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 06:53:54 AM »

Says he has power duals on it. So the cat is gone.  Needs tuned.  It's probably running lean.

gg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 Orange & Black
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 (Traded for 09 CUSE4) CUSE4 Sold 2012
    • CVO3: FXSTDSEI/ FLHRSEI2 (SOLD 2005)
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 08:12:54 AM »

BHTKO, at the Harley 100th anniversary, I got to talk with an HD engine engineer and commented to him about how much heat the 103 motor threw off and onto the rider. His response was that they design the motors to shed as much heat as possible so that they don't have operating issues. I replied that doesn't make it any less hot for the rider to which he had no reply. Interestingly, HD subsequently came out with air deflectors that form a cowel around the rear cylinder to divert some of that heat away from the rider's crotch. I am on my 5th CVO since 2003 and my opinion is none of them have ever run cool. The best you can do is get rid of the stock exhaust header for something cat free and add freer flowing mufflers and get a good fuel management software package like TTS Mastertune or the HD Screaming Eagle Race Tuner. Mastertune is more for someone who is comfortable doing things themselves, whereas the HD product is less so and may require dyne tuning time. The other thing you can do or have done is to purchase and install a pair of air deflectors on the frame above the rear cylinder. Good luck.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 08:34:59 AM »

Those air deflectors made it worse for me.   Like it trapped the heat in that area.   I took em off.  They are in the drawer. The lowers help alot. Mine are in the closet.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 12:19:15 PM by cvostu »

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 08:56:38 AM »

I just got done with a 2,000 mile ride on my 2012 SESG.  I could go on and on about the things that I loved about the bike but one thing that really surprised me was the incredible amount of heat that comes off of this engine, especially on the right side.  This is my first CVO and I have not experienced anything like this on my previous bikes.  For my wife on the back it was almost unbearable at times.  Is this normal and, if so, is there anything that can be done to reduce it?  Thanks in advance for your feedback.

If you are running the V&H powerduals than you have removed the cat but as stated here in this thread, you need to get it tuned.  I have the '12 SG and I also have the powerduals with the 4" Rinehart Slipons but I had my bike tuned with the SEPT and dynoed.  I just finished a 2,000 mile trip to the Ozarks where the temps were in the 100's everyday and the engine heat was not much more than my 96 cu '09 SG put off.  To keep Harley's cool, you've got to be moving!  If you don't have them I suggest you invest in a pair of highway pegs for your crash bars, therefore you can get your feet up and remove your leg from sitting next to the engine.  I have never removed my lowers and have no intentions.  Tuning it would be your best solution at this point.  Good luck and enjoy the ride.  :2vrolijk_21:
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

bhtko

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 09:26:17 AM »

If you are running the V&H powerduals than you have removed the cat but as stated here in this thread, you need to get it tuned.  I have the '12 SG and I also have the powerduals with the 4" Rinehart Slipons but I had my bike tuned with the SEPT and dynoed.  I just finished a 2,000 mile trip to the Ozarks where the temps were in the 100's everyday and the engine heat was not much more than my 96 cu '09 SG put off.  To keep Harley's cool, you've got to be moving!  If you don't have them I suggest you invest in a pair of highway pegs for your crash bars, therefore you can get your feet up and remove your leg from sitting next to the engine.  I have never removed my lowers and have no intentions.  Tuning it would be your best solution at this point.  Good luck and enjoy the ride.  :2vrolijk_21:

Funny... My trip ws to he Ozarks too and you are right, it was hot.

Believe me, I was definitely moving! :2vrolijk_21:  I already have highway pegs but that just seems to relocate the heat to a different part of my leg.  Plus they do nothing to help my BSR.  A good tune is in my near future so hopefully that will make a difference.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 10:00:34 AM by bhtko »

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 09:41:03 AM »

Bob Thoma:
Ph # 715-985-2236
Email: sarsam@triwest.net

He goes by BVHOG on HTT and BVBOB on Vtwin forum.
One stop performance builder and tuner that gets the job done!

LC110

• Elite CVO Member
    • WI

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust 1of 1344
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 10:14:56 AM »

Bob Thoma:
Ph # 715-985-2236
Email: sarsam@triwest.net

X2
Bob will get your bike running cool.  :2vrolijk_21:
Spending time learning the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion
Razorback Performance Built & Tuned 113@ 122.59 HP/139.30 TQ

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana

trahog

• Elite CVO Member
  • Living life
    • FL

• CVO1: 2000 screaming eagle road glide
    • CVO2: 2005 screaming eagle v-rod 2009 cvo road Glide 2011cvo street glide
    • CVO3: 2015 cvo street glide
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 02:50:31 PM »

Take the lowers off is the best you can do,I've done tts and pipe and they are just a hot motor,pipe and tunner does not help much,I've had 3 110"s and all are hot.

glens

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 04:13:49 PM »

Those air deflectors made it worse for me.   Like it trapped the heat in that area.   I took em off.  They are in the drawer. The lowers help alot. Mine are in the closet.

Ditto.  I took them off both my '09 96 Ultra and my '12 103 Ultra.  They do deflect some of the heat from the rider's thighs while initially at a stop light, but it gets out eventually anyway and it causes the rear cylinder to run hotter.  No thanks.

I leave my lowers on year-round.  I've asked my passenger if there's a heat problem on her feet/legs and she said "Nope".  That surprises me just a little based on putting my hands down in that area while going down the road in ~100 ambient, but she's got the final word!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 04:15:30 PM by glens »

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2012, 04:29:23 PM »

If all that has been done is to stick the V&H Powerduals on the bike, you are running WAY lean.  The ECM is not able to accomodate a change in exhaust that eliminates the CAT. You can get by with just sticking slip on mufflers on the stock headpipe, but changing the headpipe out is a whole other ballgame.  Get it tuned ASAP.

Did your dealer install the pipes and tell you that "it would be fine"?
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 20 queries.