Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Dreaded Crank Run Out!!  (Read 9052 times)

Shekinah5678

• CVO1: 2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic
Re: Dreaded Crank Run Out!!
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2012, 06:44:17 PM »

"These flywheels come assembled and balanced with connecting rods." 
This is the quote from the S&S web site that I inferred means it is balanced.  If you hadn't already figured this out I am definitely no expert when it comes to the whole crank shaft issue.  So I may have missinterpreted.  Would it be less costly and more beneficial to send the old crank out and have it repaired, balanced and welded?    I will have this conversation with my mechanic but I appreciate everyones feedback.  I like to know all the facts and all of my options b4 I make a decision.

Thanks Again

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2012, 06:51:21 PM »

a S&S crank will come balanced to S&S pistons,if you provide weights,they can balance it to your specs,but your going to waiting a while.if your going to stroke it go with a S&S set,if not stroking it,have darkhorse balance,true & weld your present lower end useing S&S rods

glens

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2012, 10:36:47 PM »

While it's torn apart I'm sending the left case half in to S&S for the Timken conversion.

I'm no expert on the subject but that statement makes it sound like you're not going to send both case halves in.  As I understand it, the Timken bearings are less tolerant of misalignment than the stock setup, thus it's important to have both case halves when setting up the Timkens so that things are properly aligned.

Shekinah5678

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2012, 03:43:27 AM »

Glens asked my mechanic about that and he said he asked s&s and they told him they only needed the left side.  Is the alignment issue more about the reassembly of the cases?  Or do they need both side to make sure the bearing is rite?

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2012, 06:51:33 AM »

You can NEVER establish smoothness from off idle to redline with these odd-fire, 2 cylinder engines.
Best that can be done, is to have the balance factor, place the vibes in an area where your not in most of the time.
That said, once balanced, the heavier the piston the earlier it'll occur, and a lighter piston will let the vibration come in later.
Scott

prodrag1320

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2012, 07:26:20 AM »

Glens asked my mechanic about that and he said he asked s&s and they told him they only needed the left side.  Is the alignment issue more about the reassembly of the cases?  Or do they need both side to make sure the bearing is rite?
we always get both sides & check alignment.any machining must be done when insert is installed.on assembley theres nothing you can do about aligning the crank,

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2012, 11:06:18 AM »

with .025 run-out,ide be VERY surprised if the pump isnt scored,better take another look (mic the cam bushing in the plate too,ide be surprised if its not egg shaped))

X2
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2012, 12:35:53 PM »

My Uncle ran a balancing shop for many years.  So this is one item I know a little about.  A crank is balanced because it rotates.  Pistons are not balanced but rather weighed separately to make sure they weigh the same.  Same goes for the connecting rods. 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2012, 12:44:47 PM »

My Uncle ran a balancing shop for many years.  So this is one item I know a little about.  A crank is balanced because it rotates.  Pistons are not balanced but rather weighed separately to make sure they weigh the same.  Same goes for the connecting rods. 
That's what I thought.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2012, 01:54:17 PM »

Not exactly.  When balancing the crankshaft assembly, a "balance factor" is used to allow for both the reciprocating mass of the pistons and the upper half of the rods, and the rotating mass of the lower end of the rods.  So you don't just balance the crank without allowing for the rods and pistons.  Look up "bob weight" and "balance factors".

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

prodrag1320

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2012, 03:22:01 PM »

on a harley flwheels,they are balnced useing a 60% balance factor,(rotating)middle of the rods down,crank pin,cages & bearings useing 100% of the weight,(recripricating)top half of the rods,pistons ,rings,w.pins & clips are 60% .we use S&S balacing equipment & can balance up to twin cams,been thinking about tooling up for twin cam lower ends.but after machining HD`s for 30 years,its just easier sending the TC lower ends out (only thing we dont do in house)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 03:27:27 PM by prodrag1320 »

Shekinah5678

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2012, 12:07:44 AM »

OK I have ordered the Fueling Cam Plate and Oil Pump, and I'm planning on sending the new crankshaft to be trued, welded, and plugged.  Now I'm considering spending the extra money to get the heads worked.  I know I should probably start another thread but I'm wondering if there is anyone that can work on those big screamin eagle 110 ACR heads.  I think I may give Big Boyz a call tommarrow.  Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2012, 01:24:33 PM »

Hillside did my heads I'm happy with end results
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2012, 03:16:31 PM »

We use an S&S worksheet here, along with S&S Tooling, and the wrist pin end, as well as the crank pin end is weighed seperately, along with the pistons, rollers, cages, keys, locks, and once that info is on paper, you can then build the bob weight on the scale, to come to the desired gram weight balance factor, on the pre-1999 cranks that we re-build.
Even manufactured a bob weight crank pin adapter, at one time, to balance the little 45" Flatheads, which were NEVER balanced anyway.
We send our T/C cranks to Hoban Bros., as we just let those folks attend to them.
Scott

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2012, 05:54:19 AM »

OK I have ordered the Fueling Cam Plate and Oil Pump, and I'm planning on sending the new crankshaft to be trued, welded, and plugged.  Now I'm considering spending the extra money to get the heads worked.  I know I should probably start another thread but I'm wondering if there is anyone that can work on those big screamin eagle 110 ACR heads.  I think I may give Big Boyz a call tommarrow.  Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

T-Man Performance

http://tmanperformance.com/
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 20 queries.