Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Dreaded Crank Run Out!!  (Read 9036 times)

Shekinah5678

• CVO1: 2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic
Dreaded Crank Run Out!!
« on: July 24, 2012, 02:18:45 PM »

Well my wife and I got home from a short trip about a week ago and I thought I was hearing a louder than normal clicking sound.  I decided to take it in to a local Indy mechanic who ordered a new set of lifters and push rods.  I had been waiting for the rite time to change my cams so ordered them to.  When the bike had the head gasket recall done, they had installed high compression pistons and high lift SE cams along with roller rocker arms.  I was never fond of those cams but they were in the bike when I bought it.  Anyway we went with the Zippers 575-HS cams and a set of Fueling lifters.  Well my mechanic called me back today and asked me to come by and take a look at something.   :o  When I got there he showed me a run out of .025 on the gauge and also a cam lobe that had a gouge in it from a lifter that had seized up.  The crank run out is so bad that you can actually see it when you rotate the motor.  So the cases are in the process of being split and I ordered a new S&S flywheel.  While it's torn apart I'm sending the left case half in to S&S for the Timken conversion.  I guess the reason I'm posting this to confirm that there is nothing I mite be missing.  I don't really want to break the bank any more than I have to, but I would hate to miss the opportunity to change or upgrade something like the Timken bearing while it's all apart.  My mechanic said he thought the oil pump was fine and he was gonna check to make sure the pistons, cylinders and heads were in good shape while it's all apart.  Looking for a dependable well running motor nothing crazy.     

The Bike is a 2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic.  As stated above it has had the updated heads and head gaskets installed.  It has the Screamin Eagle 10.5:1 pistons and roller rocker arms.  I have the Rhinehart True Dual exhaust and a K&N high flow breather.  I have also install the Thundermax with auto tune ECM. 
Thanks in advance!!         

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Dreaded Crank Run Out!!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 02:31:48 PM »

with .025 run-out,ide be VERY surprised if the pump isnt scored,better take another look (mic the cam bushing in the plate too,ide be surprised if its not egg shaped))

Shekinah5678

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 02:48:20 PM »

Thanks will have mechanic take a good hard look at oil pump.  Can the bushings be replaced or will that mean a whole new cam plate?

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 03:00:29 PM »

Well my wife and I got home from a short trip about a week ago and I thought I was hearing a louder than normal clicking sound.  I decided to take it in to a local Indy mechanic who ordered a new set of lifters and push rods.  I had been waiting for the rite time to change my cams so ordered them to.  When the bike had the head gasket recall done, they had installed high compression pistons and high lift SE cams along with roller rocker arms.  I was never fond of those cams but they were in the bike when I bought it.  Anyway we went with the Zippers 575-HS cams and a set of Fueling lifters.  Well my mechanic called me back today and asked me to come by and take a look at something.   :o  When I got there he showed me a run out of .025 on the gauge and also a cam lobe that had a gouge in it from a lifter that had seized up.  The crank run out is so bad that you can actually see it when you rotate the motor.  So the cases are in the process of being split and I ordered a new S&S flywheel.  While it's torn apart I'm sending the left case half in to S&S for the Timken conversion.  I guess the reason I'm posting this to confirm that there is nothing I mite be missing.  I don't really want to break the bank any more than I have to, but I would hate to miss the opportunity to change or upgrade something like the Timken bearing while it's all apart.  My mechanic said he thought the oil pump was fine and he was gonna check to make sure the pistons, cylinders and heads were in good shape while it's all apart.  Looking for a dependable well running motor nothing crazy.     

The Bike is a 2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic.  As stated above it has had the updated heads and head gaskets installed.  It has the Screamin Eagle 10.5:1 pistons and roller rocker arms.  I have the Rhinehart True Dual exhaust and a K&N high flow breather.  I have also install the Thundermax with auto tune ECM. 
Thanks in advance!!         

How many miles on the build when the issue occurred?

Shekinah5678

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 03:13:11 PM »

I'm sorry should have probably included mileage.  It had just over 33,000 miles on it when I rode it into the shop.

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 03:43:44 PM »

I would replace the oil pump and if you don't already have the late model cam plate I would change that as well.  I would get the crank welded and balanced if the new one isn't already done.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 03:50:06 PM »

Very interesting.....I think my wife's was at 31k miles when her crank scissored and mine was at 30k when mine went.

Ernie has provided sound advice and I'd also spend a few bucks more and get the temkin bearings. :2vrolijk_21:  Then you'd have a much, much more reliable motor.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 03:52:29 PM »

Very interesting.....I think my wife's was at 31k miles when her crank scissored and mine was at 30k when mine went.

Ernie has provided sound advice and I'd also spend a few bucks more and get the temkin bearings. :2vrolijk_21:  Then you'd have a much, much more reliable motor.

x2

There is a big differance with a balanced and welded crank  :2vrolijk_21:

I  like it  :)
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

twinotter

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 04:15:02 PM »

IMO with .025 runout, the pump will be junk, and camplate will  need replacement. I don't believe there is a repalcement bushing.  Use a std pump.  Don't use any of the high pressure springs for the oil pressure relief either, they don't need it. 32-38 psi @ 2500rpm is plenty.
Typical S&S cranks come to you with runout of .0005/.001, so not sure welding is required, but it probably wouldn't hurt anything either. If your now paranoid, just get it welded. My 126 hp S&S 124 crank is not welded, and I'm not worried at all with 34000 on it.  twinotter

Shekinah5678

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 04:18:55 PM »

Ok so it sounds like it's not worth gambling on the old oil pump and cam plate.  Should I go with the fueling oil pump and cam support plate?  Or are standard Harley parts ok?  Since I already have almost $3000.00 invested I am looking for the most affordable but acceptable option.  As for the Timken bearings, the mechanic was planning on installing them with the new cams.  Is a  balanced and welded crank better than buying a new S & S?  I asked my mechanic about that and he said he has had good luck with the S & S.  He thought the cost of sending the old crank in would be better spent on the new one.  Don't the new ones come already balanced?

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 04:50:35 PM »

I'm not sure if the new S&S crank comes balanced and welded or not.  It is something that I would ask before buying it though.  You will be amazed at how much smoother the engine/bike feels with a balanced crank.  I have used the Feuling pump/plate and liked it.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Shekinah5678

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 05:48:49 PM »

I'm not sure if the new S&S crank comes balanced and welded or not.
The S&S web site said it is balanced but makes no mention of being welded.   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 05:57:57 PM »

How does S&S balance a crank without the pistons?  When you take your flywheels to a machine shop to be welded and balanced, they also need the pistons that you're going to use in that motor to do it right.

That's kind of like an after market auto tuner vs. a custom dyno tune by somebody that really knows what they're doing. 

To get the best bang for the buck and long term reliability, spend the few extra $ and get it done right the first time and you'll not look back.

When they were done with my motor it was/is the smoothest running Harley I've ever owned!  I had my share of hot rod motors....even S&S motors but none were as smooth as the 110" after they were done with it. :2vrolijk_21:

OK, I'll go out on a limb here......I told another member of this forum "it feels like a Goldwing or a BMW". :nervous:
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 06:04:10 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 05:59:50 PM »

How does S&S balance a crank without the pistons?
A matched set of pistons shouldn't 'distort' the crank balance....What I'm wondering is why balance the crank BEFORE it is welded...or for that matter why balance the crank at all if it's not welded?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 06:01:39 PM by dayne66 »
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 06:20:04 PM »

OK, I'll go out on a limb here......I told another member of this forum "it feels like a Goldwing or a BMW". :nervous:
Oh my.....
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 20 queries.