Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Author Topic: 110 Motor Tapping  (Read 24057 times)

dflanagan2012

• IA

• CVO1: 2013 ultra classic cvo 110
Re: 110 Motor Tapping
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 10:20:47 AM »

2012 softail 110 makes a ticking, clattering, rattling  noise from 2000 to 3000 rpms, sounds like it is eating itself up from the inside. I also had 2 different mechanics look at it for the noises and I was told it was normal. but I have a hard time with engine noises like this. I am always listening for the noises and trying to keep the engine at a rpm that will make it quieter. kinda takes away from the enjoyment of riding it!!

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 10:36:24 AM »

Try running some seafoam in the oil 100 miles before you change the oil. Then put some Redline V twin oil in. If you're still running the Syn 3 oil, you should notice an improvement.
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

Bearcat1

• Full CVO Member
  • "I fly on the wings of Red Eagle"
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 01:35:49 PM »

2012 softail 110 makes a ticking, clattering, rattling  noise from 2000 to 3000 rpms, sounds like it is eating itself up from the inside. I also had 2 different mechanics look at it for the noises and I was told it was normal. but I have a hard time with engine noises like this. I am always listening for the noises and trying to keep the engine at a rpm that will make it quieter. kinda takes away from the enjoyment of riding it!!

X2 my brutha.  As good as it runs, the noise bothers me enough that sometimes I almost wish something would break so I'd have a reason to go into the motor and change things up.

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 09:03:44 PM »

I hate the engine chatter - but it runs great, rides great and looks great.
"
Ear plugs help and dont drown out the music.
"
But I wish it was much quieter

Grey Ghost

• Full CVO Member
  • Fullsac "C" x-pipe, 2" baffles, TTS, Monotubes

• CVO1: 2003 Dyna Wide Glide (non CVO)
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 11:44:04 PM »

Try running some seafoam in the oil 100 miles before you change the oil. Then put some Redline V twin oil in. If you're still running the Syn 3 oil, you should notice an improvement.

Seafoam?? I have never heard of this before. Can you describe more what it is and what it does??

Thanks,

Grey Ghost
Someone once said that the key to happiness is a bad memory. For the life of me, I can't remember who said it!!

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2012, 01:04:59 AM »

Bearcat1, you may want to PM Van (Vanamal) and Marty (MoFo 110) on this forum.  They've both done similar, EXTENSIVE mods to their motors, and understand they run like well-oiled sewing machines... with loud exhausts.  To the tune of $5000, give or take a thousand.

I had new cams and lifters installed in mine (2012 SG), and it didn't improve any of the noises.  Now doing a little valve work, changed the primary tensioner, changed the compensator, boring the cylinders, and getting new pistons.  I'm hoping it's piston slap that's making most of the noise.  Don't really know if any of this will help, but the piston domes and heads/valves looked a lot worse than I expected for a motor with only 12,000 miles on it.  Anyway, I'm really enjoying working on the bike.  Not nearly as enjoyable as riding, though.  The only other thing that I've heard really helps would be to weld and true the crank shaft.

Good luck, hope you find a reasonable answer.

Dan

Bearcat1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2012, 08:45:59 AM »

Bearcat1, you may want to PM Van (Vanamal) and Marty (MoFo 110) on this forum.  They've both done similar, EXTENSIVE mods to their motors, and understand they run like well-oiled sewing machines... with loud exhausts.  To the tune of $5000, give or take a thousand.

I had new cams and lifters installed in mine (2012 SG), and it didn't improve any of the noises.  Now doing a little valve work, changed the primary tensioner, changed the compensator, boring the cylinders, and getting new pistons.  I'm hoping it's piston slap that's making most of the noise.  Don't really know if any of this will help, but the piston domes and heads/valves looked a lot worse than I expected for a motor with only 12,000 miles on it.  Anyway, I'm really enjoying working on the bike.  Not nearly as enjoyable as riding, though.  The only other thing that I've heard really helps would be to weld and true the crank shaft.

Good luck, hope you find a reasonable answer.

Dan

lilcoot, thanks for the reply and suggestions.  It's sounding more and more like no fairly simple, not too expensive mod will fix the issue.  Why does that not surprise me?

I have read where some think it is piston slap but on the other hand everything I have read about piston slap says that if it is piston slap then the tapping should get better as an engine heats up due to the pistons expanding when they heat up.  Mine is just the opposite actually.  Right when I crank the bike from being cold it doesn't tap at all for the first few miles.  (If it would only stay like that)  Only after a few miles does it start at certain rpm's and then as it really gets hot it will get more pronounced.  So heck I don't know, I certainly ain't no expert at Harley motors.  I've read where some guys really dislike the 110 motors due to the noise and heat even though they run pretty strong.  I hate to think I am getting there myself.  Someone mentioned give me a good running 103 and he'd be happy with that over a 110.  Hmmmm???  I ran a 103 for a few months while I briefly had a Road Glide Custom.  It did run pretty darn good without the dreaded tap.

GreatGazoo

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2012, 11:43:16 AM »

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=74561.new;topicseen#new

Just replaced the cams and lifters in mine and the noises got worse.  Before I had tapping now it is pretty noisy in the rocker box as well.  Before the cams were installed the noise was pretty weird around the 1800-2200 RPM.  I heard the rocker box (barely), lower end (barely), and cylinders all making chatter. A metallic thump inside the engine like an old compressor running. Not bad, but I thought for a new motor this was a bit weird.

I installed the cams, lifters and such and the noises all became amplified. However, that being said it purred like a kitten in fifth gear at 60 with the lion waiting to take off when needed.   The rocker box became very very loud and it sound more like a sewing machine on steroids.  It moved very very nicely and certainly sounded aggressive.

Adjusted the pushrods to lower the noise but lost noticeable performance and exhaust harshness.  This thing is still obnoxious with the echoing from the pipes I have on there.  When it was very noisy in the rocker box prior to this adjustment, it ran a hair rougher but certainly would go.  Now it is quieter (relative - 2-2.5X the noise prior to the install), smoother for power application, but not same for brute power.  It still goes very nicely but at least 10-15% less prior to the adjustment. Wondering if I should readjust the pushrods again and take to a dyno or...? Is the rocker box noise normal, since it sounded more like solid lifters? 
Now when the engine is around 1900-2400 RPM, it sounds like the sewing machine is trying to punch through steel. Has anyone put in the stage kit for the 110 from Harley and had noises go away?  What about  the folks that had to replace primaries, motor sleeves and so forth?
Does the engine runout have a lot to do with these noises since everything is sloppy? Do most of these noises go away with a balanced 110 motor?  I would love to know, and how much that little endeavor would set you back.

Bearcat1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2012, 01:25:31 PM »

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=74561.new;topicseen#new

Just replaced the cams and lifters in mine and the noises got worse.  Before I had tapping now it is pretty noisy in the rocker box as well.  Before the cams were installed the noise was pretty weird around the 1800-2200 RPM.  I heard the rocker box (barely), lower end (barely), and cylinders all making chatter. A metallic thump inside the engine like an old compressor running. Not bad, but I thought for a new motor this was a bit weird.

I installed the cams, lifters and such and the noises all became amplified. However, that being said it purred like a kitten in fifth gear at 60 with the lion waiting to take off when needed.   The rocker box became very very loud and it sound more like a sewing machine on steroids.  It moved very very nicely and certainly sounded aggressive.

Adjusted the pushrods to lower the noise but lost noticeable performance and exhaust harshness.  This thing is still obnoxious with the echoing from the pipes I have on there.  When it was very noisy in the rocker box prior to this adjustment, it ran a hair rougher but certainly would go.  Now it is quieter (relative - 2-2.5X the noise prior to the install), smoother for power application, but not same for brute power.  It still goes very nicely but at least 10-15% less prior to the adjustment. Wondering if I should readjust the pushrods again and take to a dyno or...? Is the rocker box noise normal, since it sounded more like solid lifters? 
Now when the engine is around 1900-2400 RPM, it sounds like the sewing machine is trying to punch through steel. Has anyone put in the stage kit for the 110 from Harley and had noises go away?  What about  the folks that had to replace primaries, motor sleeves and so forth?
Does the engine runout have a lot to do with these noises since everything is sloppy? Do most of these noises go away with a balanced 110 motor?  I would love to know, and how much that little endeavor would set you back.

I just wish someone knew with 100% certainty what makes the 110 tap and chatter.  That way the issue could be singled out and then real, possible fix's considered.

GreatGazoo

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2012, 01:27:42 PM »

X2

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2012, 02:04:22 PM »

X3

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2012, 08:17:57 AM »

X4

Any builders out there that can educate us 110" CVO Owners?

If you're really good then you should be able to sell your answers for solid gold! ;D

GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

Maladjusted

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2012, 09:20:19 AM »

Anyone know if the the 120r motors are tapping/clattering/chattering/sewing/clacking/clicking/ticking/rattling?

I'll be a pissed off camper if I throw a few/5k into this motor and it either stays the same noise-wise or gets worse.

Mal
2010 FLHXSE Spicey Rum
Lots of stuff

m1215

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2012, 11:23:58 PM »

all the 110s i have ridden have this noise. the piston skirt is short so you get piston slap. i have seen quite a few 110s getting hi comp pistons installed with cnc heads. they still slap after the piston upgrade. if you compare a 110 piston to a 103 you will see the difference in the skirt of the piston. from what i was told because of the piston bore size and stroke, there isn't enough room for a longer skirt.

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2012, 07:09:28 AM »

The 7, CVO 110"ers we have repaired/performance mods this year, ALL have had adjustable S&S pushrods adjusted to .140-.150" lifter load, about 1/2 have had S&S lifters installed, most have had Wood cams, and ALL were VERY quiet. :)
Scott
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 25 queries.