Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What problems did you have after the sale?  (Read 1593 times)

hep0950

• Junior CVO Member
What problems did you have after the sale?
« on: August 08, 2012, 12:34:49 AM »

I'm a bit disappointed with the sale experience I had. Love the bike, but I wonder about the dealer I bought it from. First after reading some material, my wife found out that we were supposed to have had an 8 gig Ipod Nano which we didn't get, which was a trip back, and then noticed later that they had two left side passenger floor boards installed on the bike. Now I noticed the rider backrest is broke, so that will be going back and get changed. You would think also they may program the remote, but they didn't. These are all relatively minor, but you'd think for the price of a CVO they would be a little more attentive to the details.

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
Re: What problems did you have after the sale?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 01:03:11 AM »

Just curious...did you shop for the lowest price or the best dealer? Know what I'm sayin'?

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 01:17:51 AM »

Good question! I have read all the horrible stories out there about some dealers and I am sorry to hear it but I have to say that I have had absolutely world class customer service from both the dealer I bought it from (My local dealer couldn't dealer trade for it due to availability) and my local dealer that has done all the mods and service since I got it. I have even changed the way we do business in my job because of the service I have received.
I hope as you get "the bugs worked out", things will get better and you can either develop a good relationship with that dealer or find another that you can with.
Alan

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 02:03:02 AM »

Just curious...did you shop for the lowest price or the best dealer? Know what I'm sayin'?

What the hell difference should that make?  Everyone buys a vehicle hoping to spend no more than they must. 

Any dealer should be able to get a bike out of PDI with the alarm fob programmed, the required inventory with the bike and no obviuosly wrong parts bolted on.  The dealer took the man's money that paid an agreed price.  Even beginning to suggest that being lucky enough to save a buck at purchase in some way even minimally excuses a crap and incompetent PDI is nuts.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 02:29:31 AM »

Certainly does not excuse it...but, may have some bearing on an explanation.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 02:33:12 AM »

Certainly does not excuse it...but, may have some bearing on an explanation.

May.  But shouldn't.  The minimum standards for any service department should be something better than "can unsuccessfully complete half-assed attempt at PDI on new bike."  If that's the standard god help the man that needs an oil change.

Tannehill Kid

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Street Glide
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 07:47:39 AM »

It really shouldn't matter if it's a sportster or a CVO the dealer gets paid to do a PDI on the bike before the delivery.  In my opinion these things were missed by the service department and by the salesperson.  The salesman should have made sure everything  was working before the delivery(and had it fixed before you got there) and gone over how all the things worked on the bike at the time of delivery with you.  Got to remember there are good dealers out there and bad ones. Twolane is right it shouldn't matter what price you paid.

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 08:20:02 AM »

So tell us who this charming dealer is or located  :nixweiss:   

Bowman1836

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 cvo street glide
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 08:26:08 AM »

I can't say enough about the dealer I bought my bike from they are awesome. Where I'm at we have 4 Harley shops close by and well out of the 4 the only one that actually treats you like your doing them a favor and not the other way around is the one I bought from. They treat you with respect as they should and haven't had any issues with any department. Sorry to hear about your problems hopefully they get everything fixed.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 05:53:13 PM »

San Diego Harley
Alan

hep0950

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 09:33:59 PM »

Thanks for the replies. Haven't heard much about this dealer as far as being bad. I do not deal with the dealer closest to us, besides which he tends to go through employees, and there is another dealer not as far as the one I went to, but have stories about them also.

In my past experiences, when little problems such as these popped up, the object I bought turned out to be very good. I thought the bike should have been prepared better, and like was said, the price doesn't matter. Any bike sold, no matter what it is, should be as it was designed to be and all things functioning. I'm not worried as all is under warranty, but it is just a bit of a pain in the ass. I love the bike. I was just wondering if anyone else seem to have this problem. This one could have been just a fluke. I'll get it all straightened out.

As far as the dealer, it was St. Charles Harley Davidson. They also deal with Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Yamaha. They just opened their Harley exclusive building last year I believe. I know some H.O.G. members up their and hadn't heard anything bad about them. We'll see how good their service dept. is when I have it serviced at 1000. I have been to two other dealers and haven't been overly impressed.

As a side, a few of us were talking about how they decided what chrome and extras they decided to put on. As an example, you'd think they would put on the good tour pack hinges instead of the standard hinges. First thing we bought for the bike. What a difference it makes. There are other bits and pieces you kind of scratch your head about.

Again, thanks for the replies. Other than the nuisance items, it runs great and handles wonderful. Just waiting to get to the 500 mile mark to get it in 6th gear.

FLY-DOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • U.S. Navy (30 years); Delta Air Lines (22 years)
    • FL

• CVO1: FLHXSE3
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 11:23:51 AM »

What do you mean,....... "Just waiting to get to the 500 mile mark to get it in 6th gear?"  Why in blazes would you wait any amount of miles to use 6th gear?
Current Stable:
2021 BMW R1250 GSA Rallye
2016 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited w/392 Hemi
2012 CVO Street Glide
2007 Mustang GT500
2006 YZ250F

hep0950

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 03:53:38 PM »

Was told by the service dept not to use 6th gear until after putting on 500 miles, but looking in the manual it says nothing about it.  I had an '06 Dyna and my '08 Ultra and do not remember what I did then during break in. I seem to remember the same thing, and that was a different dealer. It may have been just the rpm I couldn't go over.

spada84

• Elite CVO Member
  • Stand for something, or fall for anything.

• CVO1: '10 SEUC "Orange Crush"
    • CVO2: 6 (or 7) other bikes
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 05:11:01 PM »

Was told by the service dept not to use 6th gear until after putting on 500 miles, but looking in the manual it says nothing about it.  I had an '06 Dyna and my '08 Ultra and do not remember what I did then during break in. I seem to remember the same thing, and that was a different dealer. It may have been just the rpm I couldn't go over.

Follow the break in procedure in the manual.  HD built the machine, not the dealer.  They should know best.
Spada84
NoSofa!

Porschestan

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2012, 11:43:38 PM »

I very minor issue with burned out tail light.  Dealer was fantastic, came and picked up my bike..And delivered it back to me. Excellent customer service...for me to say that is something!

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 20 queries.