Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: 2010 roadglide cvo top heavy  (Read 7103 times)

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
Re: 2010 roadglide cvo top heavy
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 08:08:00 AM »

I am 5'11"

You need to become part of the bike instead of trying to make the bike become part of you. 

When stopping if you put your feet down too early you tend to want to muscle the bike with your legs and arms. (Trying to make the bike part of you.)  If you balance correctly between the rear and front brake you can stop and almost have no need to put any foot down.  Putting only the left foot down is enough. (Becoming part of the bike.)
Think about using the throttle instead of the front brake when almost stopped. 

Practice going slow using just the rear brake keeping your feet up. Stop the bike using only the rear brake, put only your left foot down. (Slow speed!)

I try using more front brake at the beginning of the high speed stop and gradually let off the front brake as I'm stopping until I'm only using the rear brake (last few seconds) and put my left foot down. (Also gearing down to the lower gear needed.) 

Putting both feet down while rolling may cause you to hit the front brake harder causing the front of the bike to push down. (Bad when turning or leaning.)  Hitting the front brake too hard with the forks turned tends to push the bike down and over and you will feel all the weight of the bike with your whole body if your legs are down. 

This info is dead-on  :2vrolijk_21:   Every since I had my MC accident last year and had multiple surgeries on my right leg, it is painful to stop and put my right foot to the pavement. The edge of my seat hits the area on the back of my leg where I had a partial removal and skin grafts.  So, I was at a crossroads on how I was going to comfortably ride my mc without throwing my foot down everytime I came to a stop.  I started practicing your approach of braking more with the right foot and squeezing the front break and when at a complete stop just keeping my foot on the footboard.  I guess in your mind you always think that the scooter will tip over if you don't throw both feet out....well, I'm here to tell ya that these bikes are so well balanced and with the ever so small lean to the left at a full stop, I rarely have to put my right foot down on the pavement.   :2vrolijk_21:
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Phantom6722

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2012, 12:17:56 AM »

These bikes are heavy and the RG’s need some getting use to. Just remember ONLY use your front brake at slow speeds (less than 10mph) when your front wheel is dead straight, for everything else use your back brake. You need to learn to use your clutch, rear brake and throttle for slow speed maneuvering in car parks etc. I always try to park where I can ride out.

Cosmic Charlie

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2012, 12:46:03 AM »

These bikes are heavy and the RG’s need some getting use to. Just remember ONLY use your front brake at slow speeds (less than 10mph) when your front wheel is dead straight, for everything else use your back brake. You need to learn to use your clutch, rear brake and throttle for slow speed maneuvering in car parks etc. I always try to park where I can ride out.

I always try to park where I can ride out.

Amen Brother - 1st rule of owning a heavy bike  ....  Always MAKE SURE to park where I can ride out. ...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 08:23:56 PM by Cosmic Charlie »
2009 FLTRSE3 Electric Orange RG SE 110
D&D Boss Fat Cats with Ghost Pipe
CeeBaileysSuperStepContour14"
TTS Tuner
Ohlin's #3-3
J&M 7 1/4's & 250 amp
Utopia Drivers Back Rest

Nothing Left To Do But Smile Smile Smile

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black - Gone
    • CVO2: 2012 Road Glide Custom CVO in Candy Cobalt-Twilight Blue - Gone
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2012, 06:32:12 PM »

...I always try to park where I can ride out.

Man, did I learned that one the hard way!! 
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S
2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black with Aztec Shadow graphics. Gone!

coolmac

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2012, 05:37:09 PM »

I'm @a 32" inseam, i don't ride the CVO, but my 10' RG feels perfect after I lowered it.

RG or SG shocks with the Pingel lowering blocks will that bike's center of gravity down lower.

I'm using a 10' CVO seat. My only concern would be the bags dragging.

The 09' and up bikes have more tire to fender clearance.

petewerner

• I live to ride, I love to ride, everyday I ride :)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Ride it like U stole it, live life the same way.

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE Sold
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2012, 10:43:46 AM »

My Arnott Aldan's and compressor, wiring, airvalve and tubing are 4 SALE. i damaged the $10 up/down switch removing the system from my RG to fit on my new 944UT Progressive shocks.  Between the seat, HD Reach, and the boots being lifted, i no longer needed the air shock to lower the bike. Tried the blocks to lower the rear of the bike by repositioning the bottom of the shock and it is alot farther out to the end of a swing-arm, giving a much larger mechanical advantage to the shock, hence now the bike is over sprung and over valved so it rides like a truck. Find shocks for a 600lbs. bike to go along with those lowering blocks and maybe it won't handle like a Kenworth...
PS; The blocks were my first attempt at getting better control of my RG and moved on quickly... 
1998 FLSTF with Kerker 2/1, Dyna 2000i single
       Fire Ignition, Chrome swing arm, Garrett Billet Wheels, Too much chrome
       2 list....
2011 FLTRx 103, Stage IV, SE Heavy Breather, SE Race Tuner, SE 58mm TB, V&H Power Duals, V&H H.O. Slipons=, Dyno tuned 117HP-111TQ :D Tank lift, drop seat, turning DARK

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2012, 08:59:44 PM »

I ride my bike just like I drive a truck .... look way ahead and pace myself with traffic. This will help you ride much smoother and also save wear & tear on your brakes and clutch. I never understood why people race up to a light or stop when if they only looked further ahead and noticed the traffic stopped. What's the big hurry to sit there?  :nixweiss: When I do have to stop my left foot does me fine ... rarely ever use both feet. Its all a game of balance that you will master on any bike in time. Take it slow and go with the flow!
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 24 queries.