Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 2010 roadglide cvo top heavy  (Read 7102 times)

USMCJLITTLE

2010 roadglide cvo top heavy
« on: August 14, 2012, 12:13:30 PM »

I am 5'11  and this bike seems to kick my ass sometimes when stoping seems to be very top heavy.  was wondering if anyone else felt the same way or had some solutions??

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: 2010 roadglide cvo top heavy
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 12:28:23 PM »

Hi Marine, 

Firstly, thank you for your service.  Second, welcome!   Some more information and even a picture would be helpful.  I have never heard of a 2010 CVO Road Glide.  (I have an '09. There was a '11 Ultra RG then a '12 RG Custom.)  I too am 5'11"; what is your inseam?  Tour pak?  Stock seat?  Stock height suspension?   All of these things will affect how the bike feels when you come to a stop.  I can't recall anybody here complaining that a road glide was top heavy but there are lots of things that could make it feel that way. 

GK

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 01:59:54 PM »

I am 5'11  and this bike seems to kick my ass sometimes when stoping seems to be very top heavy.  was wondering if anyone else felt the same way or had some solutions??

What's your previous riding experience?  Big baggers, whether Road Glides or Electra Glides are heavy, no doubt...  

Short of adapting, you can lower the bike, and/or, install a lower seat.  This, of course, would allow you to use more leg strength to support the weight of the bike...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 06:56:42 PM by sadunbar »
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black - Gone
    • CVO2: 2012 Road Glide Custom CVO in Candy Cobalt-Twilight Blue - Gone
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 04:25:42 PM »

Stopping or maneuvering the bike in a parking lot or when getting to a place?

Reason I ask is because for me it was a learning curve handling the bike.  The fix fairing fools you when your are parking the bike or maneuvering at low speeds... since you do not see the fairing turning you can't determine easily the amount of turn you have given the handlebar... turn the handle bar too much and you get an "Oh chit!!" moment...

Again, just a matter of getting use to it and knowing that you need to pay attention in those situations. PITA if you switch between bikes often... lol.  By the way -  I am 5'7" / 30 inseam...
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S
2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black with Aztec Shadow graphics. Gone!

NETacoma03Fatboy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 12:51:21 AM »

I am 5'7" with a 30" inseam.  Yup, it does kick my butt when I stop and maneuver.  I try to stop smoother and come in slower (ie I do not come in fast and stop last minute).  Another thing I noticed I was doing was when I back up, I was swaying ever so slightly (left and right) which was throwing me a bit.  With the weight of the bike swaying, it made it easier to lose my footing or come close to dropping the bike numerous times. 

petewerner

• I live to ride, I love to ride, everyday I ride :)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Ride it like U stole it, live life the same way.

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE Sold
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 08:16:57 AM »

5'9" 150lbs and 30" inseam. Get a dropped seat and have your riding boots resoled to raise U another inch. All that stuff with air systems to lower your bike isn't needed for me. With my bike still up in the air so I don't drag at every corner was the right way to go!!! I bought the Arnott Aldans, 11 way adjustable version of their air shocks, it was my first change, it is cool, but lower it to where I can get my feet flat on the ground and I was dragging everywhere!!!! They can raise me up to full hight while riding and drop down when in traffic that is stop and go. Trouble is I forget to raise it and drag the mufflers , boards, heat shields, etc....
Eventually I got the seat which got me flat footed and my feet closer to the sides of the bike due to the seat being narrowed asd well as lower by design.
The $1200 shocks were a waste of money better spent on a good shock set, not air. With the seat doing it's job, I thought about some taller boots to give me another half to 3/4" and went to a shoe guy and he took my boots and added a new thicker sole, nearly 3/8" added front to back, next the heels were given another 1/2" from the original heels. Next the inner sole was put in that added nearly 1/4"... By the time I put these on, I have gone to nearly 5'11" and an inseam close to 32". I would never have believed that this could be done to boots and yet it doesn't show or feel different. And it was a $75 expense!!!! I have another set also being resoled, he said they will be 2"plus lift....  :D (now no Harley orange on the soles any more)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 03:01:27 PM by petewerner »
1998 FLSTF with Kerker 2/1, Dyna 2000i single
       Fire Ignition, Chrome swing arm, Garrett Billet Wheels, Too much chrome
       2 list....
2011 FLTRx 103, Stage IV, SE Heavy Breather, SE Race Tuner, SE 58mm TB, V&H Power Duals, V&H H.O. Slipons=, Dyno tuned 117HP-111TQ :D Tank lift, drop seat, turning DARK

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 12:58:39 PM »

I'm 5'7" 29" inseam. I put a Arnott system on mine and that solved all those issues but had the same as you before the install. It's just a fact of life for us Munchkins...
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 10:10:26 PM »

"The fix fairing fools you when your are parking the bike or maneuvering at low speeds... since you do not see the fairing turning you can't determine easily the amount of turn you have given the handlebar... turn the handle bar too much and you get an "Oh chit!!" moment... "

I have heard other people say this an I do not understand. I have ridden bikes for 48 years now, The handlebars have always been the indicator as to how far frt was turned or straight. I have NEVER looked at the tire, Am I the only person who sees no difference in riding a RK, EG or RG? I have owned them all and i am just bewildered as to the judgement of where frt is by the fairing. Keeping your eyes on the horizon is best way to not fall down, you know old guys say, Look down - fall down, there is something to this.

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black - Gone
    • CVO2: 2012 Road Glide Custom CVO in Candy Cobalt-Twilight Blue - Gone
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 11:19:59 PM »

"The fix fairing fools you when your are parking the bike or maneuvering at low speeds... since you do not see the fairing turning you can't determine easily the amount of turn you have given the handlebar... turn the handle bar too much and you get an "Oh chit!!" moment... "

I have heard other people say this an I do not understand. I have ridden bikes for 48 years now, The handlebars have always been the indicator as to how far frt was turned or straight. I have NEVER looked at the tire, Am I the only person who sees no difference in riding a RK, EG or RG? I have owned them all and i am just bewildered as to the judgement of where frt is by the fairing. Keeping your eyes on the horizon is best way to not fall down, you know old guys say, Look down - fall down, there is something to this.

Sorry man, it was the only way that I could explain it... It is always during very slow maneuvering or when coming to a stop... Could be a combination of harsh braking with the handlebar not straight, no full reach to the floor and tilting the bike to one side to have sure footing only to see that you have unbalanced the bike with this and all of the above.  I tell you, creates one hell of a scary few seconds...

And yes... My first bagger...and first 800lbs gorilla as well...(I am counting my Sedona and CVO as one since I had the '11 bike for only 9 months or so before I moved to the CVO).  So put down something on inexperience.
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S
2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black with Aztec Shadow graphics. Gone!

FrankD

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 01:16:31 PM »

Yup you take those training wheels off and man what a change! I'm 6'2. 210 lbs. with a 34 in. inseam. Some days this bike feels too heavy for me too! Lower the bikes suspension and try another seat. If you have a Tour Pack take it off. My Tour Pack for my SERG has been sitting in my garage since I purchased the bike in 2001. You will also notice a difference with a full tank of fuel. Make sure your tire pressures are correct. It just takes time getting use to the weight of the dam thing.

I went from a FXSTS to a SERG. The FXSTS has a 19 inch wheel with a heavy front end and was a pain turning this bike when I went to drag bars.

Happy Riding!
Of every one-hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there. Eighty are nothing but targets. Nine are real fighters...We are lucky to have them, they make the battle. Ah, but one, one of them is a Warrior... He will bring the others home.

Hericletus 500BC

Cosmic Charlie

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 07:05:58 PM »

If you can use BOTH front & rear brakes together .... the bike will want to stand up perfectly straight when coming to a stop.

I tell my fellow riders this but they have a tendency to want to put both feet down, so they can't use the rear break together with the front.

Try it !

I use it ALOT.

Just front braking will make the bike dive down left or right coming to a stop, depending on your slight lean angle ...

When pulling out accelerate with an aggressive pull out and the bike will again want to stand straight up, slow pull out will make the bike feel top heavy for just a second or so ... so rev it up and let it the clutch right out ... zoom straight away - the centrifugal force of the wheels going around will stand the bike right up ...

2009 FLTRSE3 Electric Orange RG SE 110
D&D Boss Fat Cats with Ghost Pipe
CeeBaileysSuperStepContour14"
TTS Tuner
Ohlin's #3-3
J&M 7 1/4's & 250 amp
Utopia Drivers Back Rest

Nothing Left To Do But Smile Smile Smile

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 11:16:29 PM »

Heard it all now, weight of the fuel can be felt? Whoa.

halfcirclej

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRUSE 2011 Black Quartz
    • CVO2: FLHTCU 2008 WHITE GOLD PEARL
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 02:16:48 AM »

Have the same problem, too short in the get along. I also have a 08 ultra classic an a 11 road glide ultra CVO.  I always use both brakes. On the CVO I let off the front brake before the complete stop. I then quickly switch to front brake.after both feet are down if need requires to keep from rolling. Good luck with the heavy beast.  I like it better on the road, not bothered with the wind an buffet.
Mitch

DDavidson

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 02:46:30 AM »

I am 5'11"

You need to become part of the bike instead of trying to make the bike become part of you. 

When stopping if you put your feet down too early you tend to want to muscle the bike with your legs and arms. (Trying to make the bike part of you.)  If you balance correctly between the rear and front brake you can stop and almost have no need to put any foot down.  Putting only the left foot down is enough. (Becoming part of the bike.)
Think about using the throttle instead of the front brake when almost stopped. 

Practice going slow using just the rear brake keeping your feet up. Stop the bike using only the rear brake, put only your left foot down. (Slow speed!)

I try using more front brake at the beginning of the high speed stop and gradually let off the front brake as I'm stopping until I'm only using the rear brake (last few seconds) and put my left foot down. (Also gearing down to the lower gear needed.) 

Putting both feet down while rolling may cause you to hit the front brake harder causing the front of the bike to push down. (Bad when turning or leaning.)  Hitting the front brake too hard with the forks turned tends to push the bike down and over and you will feel all the weight of the bike with your whole body if your legs are down. 

Semper Fi
Get your "Motor Running Head", out on the highway!

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 03:19:41 AM »

Heard it all now, weight of the fuel can be felt? Whoa.

Considering 6.2 pounds per gallon = 37.2 pounds I'd say yes it can be felt considering its that high up in the chassis.

The same goes for the TP, if you done need, it, leave it off... (doesnt work for me.. I carry too much "chit" with me for work, etc.)

Once a new rider adjusts to the weight of a "big" bike, the changes are less noticable.

Adding height in the soles of your boots is a good idea.. since I have a 29 inseam... something to consider, thanks for the tips!

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 24 queries.