Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Dunlop sidewall Cracking  (Read 8900 times)

insp737

Dunlop sidewall Cracking
« on: August 27, 2012, 12:44:39 PM »

Hi all,
   My 2012 CVO street was in for shift shaft replacement and the dealer noticed my front tire (HD dunlop) had some sidewall cracking...they replaced the tire at no cost. Pretty good bonus seeing that the tire had 16K on it....But then again a blow out at 70mph would'nt be enjoyed!

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
Re: Dunlop sidewall Cracking
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 12:19:40 AM »

I just noticed the front tire on my 2011 is big-time cracked, going to try to make it by the dealer tomorrow. Bike has 11k on it, anybody know if the dealer will do anything?

samule

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 04:28:36 AM »

My 2011 cvo inferno orange had a lot of cracking on the front tire at mabey 5000 miles. Dealer gave me a new one

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 11:31:16 PM »

Noticed my front was cracked on a recent road trip in Knoxville TN. Local dealer covered it (said Dunlop was actually warrantying it), but I did have to pay labor.

Pretty common with these Dun-craps- too bad with the 18/18 tires we really have no other options.
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

gordy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 12:29:27 AM »

Hey Northstar-take a look at the Avon website.  I have been running Cobra's on my SERG since HD bent me over about the Dunlops cupping.

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 10:48:16 AM »

So I got my front tire replaced under warranty, but they said it was because of splits in the tread, not side wall cracking. They said they wouldn't cover the side wall cracking, or the rear tire cupping.

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 06:24:36 PM »

Hey Northstar-take a look at the Avon website.  I have been running Cobra's on my SERG since HD bent me over about the Dunlops cupping.

Yeah I think they are the only ones that make both front and rear sizes for our bikes. Problem is that they are a lower load rating- not sure if that lower rating really affects anything in the real world.
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights

gordy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 01:33:24 AM »

Couldn't find specs on the Dunlops but the Avon front is good for 600 lbs and the rear 827 lbs.  I have never weighed my SERG seperately so I don't know if I ever exceed the maximum carrying capacity of the tires but I don't think loaded with my girl on the rear, I exceed 1427 lbs total.
Have got close to 30000 kms and am happy with the ride and handling of the Cobras.  They don't last as long as the OEM's but softer/stickier tires don't.   

SHRK2TH

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 Street Glide / Black traded
    • CVO2: 2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / White Starfire Black
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 08:08:16 PM »

Mine was cracked at the edge of the rim. 3,500 miles.  Dealer replaced, no problem.

tweeter13

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 09:29:51 PM »

Ya a friend of mine was just in for a 5000 mile service and got home and I was looking at his sg.  looked down at his tires for some reason.  But noticed that his was craced 1/3 the way around.  He was ticked to say the leasted.  He had just left the dealer less than 2hrs ago and I noticed that.  He took it back and they dunflop covered the tire and labor 100%  I did read a post earlier in this thread where he had to pay labor.  I would go back and complain.  I am pretty sure your tires are covered under your warr.  just like anything else on the bike.  they gave him a card to send back to dunflop to cover this tire if anything else should happen.   Todd
18 Monsterbrite led lights
Fullsac DX head pipe
Fullsac 2.25 baffles
TTS master-tune
George Anderson tourpac relocator

MsPalmyra

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 08:59:13 PM »

I couldn't believe I had 17,000 miles on my front tire on my 2011 CVO Streetglide. The tread depth measured 4.32 at the dealership. Then I showed the shop guy the little drywall cracks around the edge of the tire.  I got the tire replaced, it was still under warranty! I still wonder how many more miles I could have gotten out of that tire.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 09:50:20 PM »

only the owner will know if load rating makes a difference

add the wts of the riders and stuff, if the wt is enough less than the gcvwr for lighter tires its fine - however its common for the rider and passenger and 20 lb of stuff exceeds the axle wt of the rear

to

big2na

• NJ

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 10:07:26 PM »

Hey Guys,
I may need some help !!
I called the dealer yesterday and described my front tire on my 2011 cvo street glide also cracked on both sides close to the rim, and he told me thats normal,, and there's nothing they can do ?? The bike has 11,000 miles on it.
So I called Dunlop and they told me the dealer has to go through Harley to have them write it up.
Not sure if I should seek another dealer or what??
Thanks,
Ken

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 01:03:45 AM »

I got my front tire replaced under warranty, but they said it was because of splits in the tread, not side wall cracking. They said they wouldn't cover the side wall cracking, or the rear tire cupping. Do you have the tire and wheel warranty? That is what covered replacing mine.

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 10:52:25 PM »

Couldn't find specs on the Dunlops but the Avon front is good for 600 lbs and the rear 827 lbs.  I have never weighed my SERG seperately so I don't know if I ever exceed the maximum carrying capacity of the tires but I don't think loaded with my girl on the rear, I exceed 1427 lbs total.
Have got close to 30000 kms and am happy with the ride and handling of the Cobras.  They don't last as long as the OEM's but softer/stickier tires don't.   

30,000 kms on the Avon's and no issues? How much of that is 2 up loaded up? Has the bike ever felt squirrelly or anything while loaded down?

How many kms are you getting out of the Avons?

Any cupping on the rear tire?

Ahh, I think that's all of my questions... ::)

PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 20 queries.