Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Replacing Crankshaft Bushing in cam plate??  (Read 14740 times)

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member
  • Utah, 2008 Best Trip Ever!

• CVO1: 03 SERK Purdue Gold & Black
    • CVO2: 09 SERG Silver & Black
Replacing Crankshaft Bushing in cam plate??
« on: August 28, 2012, 08:54:42 PM »

I've got a crank that has slipped, I'm assuming as the runout has increased greatly from original (from .0015 originally at gear drive install, to .006 now after about 40,000).  I'm trying to check if the crankshaft bushing has worn out of round any but I don't have anything to measure with.  Fitting the cam plate on the shaft without anything else holding it, it seems that there is a little too much play in the fit of the crankshaft to the bushing.
     Is that a piece that can be pressed out and a new one pressed in?  Or does it need to be honed after pressing it in, to finished size?   I didn't know if they need to be honed to a certain size or not.   Trying to decide if I can do it or if I'll have to send it out.
TIA,
Steve
Steve

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Replacing Crankshaft Bushing in cam plate??
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 09:27:15 PM »

I've got a crank that has slipped, I'm assuming as the runout has increased greatly from original (from .0015 originally at gear drive install, to .006 now after about 40,000).  I'm trying to check if the crankshaft bushing has worn out of round any but I don't have anything to measure with.  Fitting the cam plate on the shaft without anything else holding it, it seems that there is a little too much play in the fit of the crankshaft to the bushing.
     Is that a piece that can be pressed out and a new one pressed in?  Or does it need to be honed after pressing it in, to finished size?   I didn't know if they need to be honed to a certain size or not.   Trying to decide if I can do it or if I'll have to send it out.
TIA,
Steve

Never did it, but the bushing can be purchased for about $10 (p/n 25344-99).  It's a press fit, then you will need the special tool to ream it to size (tool #42316).  I'm not sure what the tool would cost, but I'm going to take a wild guess and say if you don't already have one and can't borrow one, it will probably be cheaper to just buy a new cam plate (p/n 25355-06, $78.00).  You may not be able to find that particular plate anymore, since it was replaced by p/n 25355-06A a couple years ago.  The new plates don't have a pinion shaft bushing at all, just the aluminum of the plate, but the price is the same.

Jerry

Oh, I'm assuming you're talking about the 2009 bike.  If not, the cam plate part number I posted isn't for the early Twin Cams with the spring loaded tensioners.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 09:29:28 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 09:44:35 PM »

It's on an 03 SE Road King.  I'll look up the part and see how much a plate is, if any are still available.
Thanks
Steve

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 10:02:13 PM »

That makes a big difference.  I don't see a listing for the old style plate by itself, only as a kit that includes the cam bearings, tensioners, and various other bits and pieces for around $290 (p/n 25267-99B).

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 10:07:06 PM »

That makes a big difference.  I don't see a listing for the old style plate by itself, only as a kit that includes the cam bearings, tensioners, and various other bits and pieces for around $290 (p/n 25267-99B).

Jerry

I just found that out too.  I'll probably get this one replaced and reamed.  Thanks.
Steve

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 10:20:22 PM »

A well equipped machine shop with a Sunnen MB series hone and the right mandrel can hone it. I'd fix it. I have not done one but if it were in my shop I would have a piloted reamer cut and clamp it to the mill table to ream it straight and true. It is easy to make a push and pull in tool. I have a C-frame hydraulic press that helps with those sorts of jobs

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 07:05:21 AM »

we`ve done a fair amount of them,not a big deal.PM me if you want us to replace the bushing

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 07:12:40 AM »

Been there, done that, many times.
Piece-o-cake here as well.
Scott

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 08:15:41 AM »

:huepfenjump3:   I love it,,,   The big three jump right in there...   :huepfenjump3:...     No that's funny chit right there...    LMAO.   

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 02:14:01 PM »

You've got another more thorough, albeit considerably more expensive, option to consider.  Especially if you're going to the expense of splitting the cases following a bad crank anyway.

The most important weakness on the older style cam plates was the cam tensioners.  HD offers part number 25284-11.  This is a new cam plate (complete) and a new oil pump.  The pump provides better pressure and scavenging than the original and the plate uses the newer style cam tensioners.  From one of the 20% discounting sellers the kit is $420-ish.  But it's a worthwhile consideration.

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 09:33:04 PM »

You've got another more thorough, albeit considerably more expensive, option to consider.  Especially if you're going to the expense of splitting the cases following a bad crank anyway.

The most important weakness on the older style cam plates was the cam tensioners.  HD offers part number 25284-11.  This is a new cam plate (complete) and a new oil pump.  The pump provides better pressure and scavenging than the original and the plate uses the newer style cam tensioners.  From one of the 20% discounting sellers the kit is $420-ish.  But it's a worthwhile consideration.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've got gear drive cams in it that I want to use again.  Do they make a similar plate for gear drive?

For the others, thanks for the suggestions.  I'm sending my crank off and I'll see if they can also do the cam plate bushing for me.   I'm just waiting on the cylinders to get bored so I can send the pistons, etc., with the crank for balancing!!
Steve

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 02:29:29 AM »

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've got gear drive cams in it that I want to use again.  Do they make a similar plate for gear drive?

With the tensioners no longer being an issue in your gear drive engine it's one less thing to worry about.  Though the excessive run out isn't good for the gear lash.  So hopefully you didn't collect any new problems in the process.  If your existing plate is good with just a new bushing save the coin and go that way.  Since your suspecting run out issues are you replacing the oil pump?

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 07:57:34 AM »

true,make sure the pump is carefully inspected,

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 08:28:46 AM »

I haven't really inspected the pump or plate where the pump mounts.  Looked it over quickly as I didn't have much time.  Checked it again this morning (the plate) and it is slightly grooved where the pump runs, a little more than it was when I put the cams in about 40,000 miles ago.  I'll check the pump too, but the plate might be grooved more than it should be.  I can easily catch a fingernail on the gooves whereas before I could just barely catch a fingernail on them.
   If I replace plate and pump, is there anyone that sells a reasonable combination package?  It has a feuling pump in it so I'd probably want to replace with something comparable.
TIA,
Steve
Steve

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 12:31:13 PM »

Send the pump back to fueling, in the past they have taken care of there customers with reconditioning of the pump.
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 22 queries.