Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 2013's Verses Softail Convertibles  (Read 5673 times)

Porschestan

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Softail Convertible
2013's Verses Softail Convertibles
« on: September 02, 2012, 01:01:32 PM »

Maybe it's me..or just because I own a softail conv..I just visited my dealer and they had in stock several new beautiful bikes! Yes, beautiful!  When I am at the dealer looking I feel like a kid in a toy store.  Yet, for the reasons I chose my bike in the first place I have zero desire to exchange it for any of the 2013's.  I fell in love with the color, I needed some storage to put things in, yet not to go on cross country trip..like having a little fairing and windshield.  The bike is substantially lighter in weight, unique handle Bars, Great looking wheels, etc. etc. Nimble in handling..I could go on..

With this all being said, since I did not see a Breakout (however it is missing many of my requirements), if I had to buy a current bike now it probably would be the Road King..But I would not trade..Just my opinions..what do you guys think?? Am I nuts and just playing mind games with myself? Or am I making any sense? Please be brutally honest!
Thanks!  Stan

FADBOY

• Full CVO Member
Re: 2013's Verses Softail Convertibles
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 07:02:52 PM »

I've been thinking about getting back to a lighter bike and do want to see the new Burgany blaze CVO RK before making a decision. I've previously owned two Road Kings and loved them both. There are times when less can be more......       

But the Road king is heavier than the convertible??

codten

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra Classic
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 07:12:43 PM »

They had one this weekend at the DEMO days test ride. It was a sweet looking bike. Although I must say that I am not a fan of the speakers on a road king. The paint was incredible.

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 07:24:51 PM »

agreed with the paint comment.  Looks like the paint is an inch thick of glitter.  Beautiful paint jobs.  but no breakout here either.  I was not that impressed with the Road King CVO mainly because of some of the amenities our bike comes with.  The trip meter, the GPS, the fact that our bikes can remove the saddlebags and go solo, and a few other things like the better handlebars.  Was disappointed in the design of the saddlebags because the speakers take up a lot of room inside the lid, wiring and support bars take up a lot of inside room.  Ours may seem a bit small but the larger bike has no more usable room.  But the road king is nice to look at.  Guess I needed a reason not to spend my kids' inheritance this time.  ha!

SteveO

• Full CVO Member

• CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 12:36:45 AM »

Ultra CVO weight: 971
RoadKing CVO weight: 880
Softail CVO weight: 750

From the HD web site.

Porschestan

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 12:59:39 AM »

Ultra CVO weight: 971
RoadKing CVO weight: 880
Softail CVO weight: 750

From the HD web site.

Exactly my point on the weight factor on the Softail Conv..the lightest of all recent and current CVO'S I believe..
I have my biases and opinions, what do you guys think about it being the lightest?

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 06:29:57 PM »

Frankly, I am happy with the weight of the convertible.  I do not need or want something that weighs another 150-200 lbs.  Now when you get that bigger bike, you have more storage and tend to pack more and more.  Consequently, your bike can end up going down the road with 1500 lbs or more.  I really enjoy the maneuverability of our convertibles especially in the parking lot.  and having to back the bike up even on a slight decline is not often too bad.  Try doing that on a bike that is 3-4" higher and 200 lbs heavier.  If they had continued the convertible, I more than likely would have bought another one to get the anniversary edition, but maybe they did me a favor.  Not partial to the Road King because of the sitting position one has to assume, don't care for the Road Glide (love the looks, however) because of the looooooooong, deeeeeeep console.  Used to want an Ultra Classic but don't any longer; too top heavy and weight heavy.  So, creating that cross-town puddle-jumper throw-back from the '09 Springer as my only viable alternative, I am sticking to my Convertible.  Going to focus on refining it and making it the best bike ever to come down the line.  Until they come out with the '14 model that I just have to have.......... ha!   Pork.

ejvette

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 07:34:30 PM »

Frankly, I am happy with the weight of the convertible.  I do not need or want something that weighs another 150-200 lbs.  Now when you get that bigger bike, you have more storage and tend to pack more and more.  Consequently, your bike can end up going down the road with 1500 lbs or more.  I really enjoy the maneuverability of our convertibles especially in the parking lot.  and having to back the bike up even on a slight decline is not often too bad.  Try doing that on a bike that is 3-4" higher and 200 lbs heavier.  If they had continued the convertible, I more than likely would have bought another one to get the anniversary edition, but maybe they did me a favor.  Not partial to the Road King because of the sitting position one has to assume, don't care for the Road Glide (love the looks, however) because of the looooooooong, deeeeeeep console.  Used to want an Ultra Classic but don't any longer; too top heavy and weight heavy.  So, creating that cross-town puddle-jumper throw-back from the '09 Springer as my only viable alternative, I am sticking to my Convertible.  Going to focus on refining it and making it the best bike ever to come down the line.  Until they come out with the '14 model that I just have to have.......... ha!   Pork.

What he said  :drink:

Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.(W. Churchill)

12 CVO Convertible Satin Pewter
09 Deluxe Vivid Black-Sold

1998 Corvette 500HP
1970 Chevelle SS454 M22 Rock Crusher

Porschestan

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 07:37:33 PM »

What he said  :drink:

So far I am in agreement with both of you guys..waiting to see if there is another opinion in the negative out there...

SteveO

• Full CVO Member

• CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 10:16:57 PM »

Vespa Scooter.........<250 pounds.

Porschestan

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 11:55:20 PM »

:carrot: :pineapple: :bananarock:
Vespa- that's a bit lite!!

I'll stick with Pork's Answer!

Jasray

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 01:01:18 AM »

I had a road glide as my last bike and it was just to heavy and awkward which is strange because I am a big guy.  I always had more prostreet style bikes before and I really appreciate the size, balance, and general versatility of the ConV.  I have taken it cross country and although it does not ride on the highway like me RG did, I still prefer it any day and twice on Sundays....

JB

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Softail Breakout - Black Diamond & Molten Silver
    • CVO2: Gone but not forgotten: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible - Roman Gold & Maple Metallic
Contemplating a change . . .
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 05:59:12 AM »

As much as I love my 2011 ConV, i am always attracted by another pretty face  ;D  This time its the Breakout.  I know some people don't care for it at all, and i was certainly on the fence about it . . . but the more up to date photos have certainly piqued my interest and I will definitely go on a test drive when/if one shows up at my dealer.  But as we know, our ConV's have a lot going for them.  The first thing I'd swap out on the two bikes are the handlebars, just love those mini Z bars!  Next up are the floorboards as I do believe it can be done . . . but will it scrape even more due to the lower geometry?  Probably add a set of Vance and Hines Big Radius 2:2 although the Big Shot Longs currently on my ConV might look good too.  I ride my bike 95% of the time without fairing or bags so they are of no interest to me.... but I gotta admit they do come in handy especially on a longer road trip.  So anyway, I'm thinking that with the addition of the Z bars and floorboards, the Breakout is really gonna look hot.  Dig the molten silver and black one!  :)  Sorry for my rambling, its late here . . .
The only difference between a mad man and myself is that I am not mad.  I'm not suffering from insanity, I rather enjoy it.

ultrarider123

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 09:37:18 AM »

Porschestan, why not keep riding the convertible and get a sportster or such for smaller, short trips?  Ginger is my main ride but when I want to run into town for a quick trip or want something a bit smaller, I get on my wife's superlow.  Fun, quick and a great around town bike.  Not much money wise either...it's not a CVO (or anywhere CLOSE) but it's a great, little bike.  You could pick up a good, used current or last year sporster for little or nothing and have some left over to make additions to the convertible or gas money!!! :bananarock:

Porschestan

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 10:37:35 AM »

Porschestan, why not keep riding the convertible and get a sportster or such for smaller, short trips?  Ginger is my main ride but when I want to run into town for a quick trip or want something a bit smaller, I get on my wife's superlow.  Fun, quick and a great around town bike.  Not much money wise either...it's not a CVO (or anywhere CLOSE) but it's a great, little bike.  You could pick up a good, used current or last year sporster for little or nothing and have some left over to make additions to the convertible or gas money!!! :bananarock:

Hey, thanks for your idea! But where I live running into town is different I am sure.  Also, funny thing about it, when I got back to riding after over a 30 plus year break (kids, life) my first starter bike was  Sportster 1200! I usually ride (99%) with my wife on the back so had to make the "minor" move up to the CVO!!!

For our current purposes it's the perfect bike! Lets see what life has in store for us in the future!

S
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 20 queries.