Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Want to put a carb on my 2010 Softail Convertable.  (Read 2267 times)

Kevan2k

• Kevan2k
  • When in doubt, take em out

• CVO1: 2007 RK 110 cu
    • CVO2: 2010 Softail Convertable 110 CU
    • CVO3: 2014 ultraclasic limited
Want to put a carb on my 2010 Softail Convertable.
« on: September 18, 2012, 02:27:23 AM »

Want to put a carberator on my 2010 Softail Convertable   I know I know....why......because
USMC

Mess with the best, get two in the chest

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Want to put a carb on my 2010 Softail Convertable.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 02:39:29 AM »

It's not the straightforward conversion it's been in years past.  Softails have a two wire CAN bus throughout much of the bike.  Many functions incorporated in the ECM.  Start removing throttle bodies and their attendant sensors and the management systems won't know what to do.  The bike will have gone stupid and won't work.

Kevan2k

• Kevan2k

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 02:53:37 AM »

Has to be a way.........maybe I will do my 2007 FLHX...better candidate?
USMC

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 10:52:45 AM »

Probably better for the switch. Just get the assorted stuff from a '05 bike, carb, intake, ecm, etc etc.
 :nixweiss:
HOGMIKE

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 11:10:51 AM »

You think someone would come up with a carb/points conversion, I'd do it in a heart beat. Just think, engine stops on a long trip and you just borrow your wifes nail file and repair the ignition system...done. Miss "the good ol days". 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 11:24:48 AM »

That would be "better" but that's only a relative comparison.  05 and before would be the easiest swap.  No 02 sensors and open or closed loop monitoring that would get screwed up when a carb would go on top.  The engine sensor suite wouldn't be the big hassle.  Honestly, without major changes you're stuck with fuel injection.  If you want a carb'd bike go find a cool looking older bike you can buy cheap and get the play toy that way. 

FLY-DOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • U.S. Navy (30 years); Delta Air Lines (22 years)
    • FL

• CVO1: FLHXSE3
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 11:54:56 AM »

To each his own but I don't get it?  I've had many Harley's before they were injected and have had several since they were injected, the carbureted bikes never started cold or idled smoothly when cold like the new ones…….I for one would never want to go back. Also I wouldn’t want to give up the new electronic cruise control over the old throttle friction screw adjustment.  Same goes for my cars, I remember putting points, condenser, and plugs in every 10,000 to 12,000 miles on my performance cars to keep them running crisply, now I just trade for a new one every 3 – 4 years…..way before it ever needs a tune up.
Current Stable:
2021 BMW R1250 GSA Rallye
2016 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited w/392 Hemi
2012 CVO Street Glide
2007 Mustang GT500
2006 YZ250F

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 12:21:15 PM »

:drink:
Fly Dog........I hear you and agree with the current lack of (hassle) over points/condensors/fouled plugs, etc. as I don't miss any of that either.

However,  I do indeed miss the "sound".................cause it just ain't there with EFI.   While the current Delphi does a better job....sound wise too,  over the old M&M EFI,  neither one of them can make the same burble-burble......potato/potato sound of a carbed Harley.  EFI and the damn black box electronics require a minimum 950-1000 RPM idle speeds to maintain the battery and electronics.

If the overall sound was the same,  I'd never give swapping to a carb a second thought...............I'm not gonna go back,  but that might be the reason some others would.   The current EFI setups and "tuners" should and could match up HP wise and Torque wise with most any carbed bike IMO. :nixweiss:

ultrarider123

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 01:23:57 PM »

You think someone would come up with a carb/points conversion, I'd do it in a heart beat. Just think, engine stops on a long trip and you just borrow your wifes nail file and repair the ignition system...done. Miss "the good ol days". 

Amen Doc!  Don't miss the points as much but do miss tinkering with the carb from time to time.  I don't miss the cold weather hickups, however.  Remember the days when the first thing you did when you got home with that new HD was rebuild the carb with a dyna kit.  Had a '72 EG that my dad and I tinkered on.  Those were good times working with the old man on that bike...ah, memories... :2vrolijk_21:
Wish I still had the '72.

Go for it on the '07 Kevan... :bananarock:

Panhead_Jimmy

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 03:51:03 PM »

Not to mention kick starting at 7,000 ft altitude and oiling the chains.  Finding and replacing 6V bulbs in BFE.  Good times, indeed!
2004 Hemi Dodge Slammed Ram, Short Bed Std Cab
1945 Knuckle
1956 Pan
2015 FLHTKSE
2017 CVO Street Glide Orange/Starfire Black

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 05:09:22 PM »

Not to mention kick starting at 7,000 ft altitude and oiling the chains.  Finding and replacing 6V bulbs in BFE.  Good times, indeed!

The advent of the o-ring chain, blue streak point conversion, and re-jetted CV carbs made my 94 FXR pretty much bullet proof. You have seen my 70's chopper and I'm not too proud to mention that my 230 lb stepson has to kick that one over for me when its cold.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 08:39:47 PM »

changing a can bus softail to carb - hmmm

anything can be done with the application of enough bux

you will need carb and ignition - there are timing point setups and mag setups that will work

then you will need to get a COMPLETE wiring harness from a older bike and change ALL the wiring and the switches.

there is no doubt that it can be done and that it will run.

to

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 09:22:51 PM »

Want to put a carberator on my 2010 Softail Convertable   I know I know....why......because

CAN Bus did not come out until the 2011 model year. In 2011 model year only the Softail's got the CAN buss. There are two ECM's for the Softail that year, one for the CVO DBW bike and the other for the cable throttle bike. In 2012 we got another new ECM for the Softail cable throttle bikes and the CVO Softail stayed with the same DBW ECM and the Dyna got added to the Softail cable throttle CAN ECM.

I do not see switching to a carb but have been told if you lower the idle speed back down to 600 - 800 RPM you get the potato sound back but I would check the oil pressure and charging system at those lower engine speeds.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

Kevan2k

• Kevan2k

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 11:27:48 PM »

Why do you have to rewire. Can't remove fuses for what you don't use? ECM run kights and brakes, aux harness for ignition.  Too simple?  What happens if I just have air, spark and fuel....disable all the crud.   Two pistons, cams, valves, spark, timing, and ignition, ......take off,

I kicked and kicked,and kicked, different time. Didn't go buy new bikes, built them up in the old days, we was PO folk.....miss them days.
USMC

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 11:59:46 PM »

Why do you have to rewire. Can't remove fuses for what you don't use? ECM run kights and brakes, aux harness for ignition.  Too simple?  What happens if I just have air, spark and fuel....disable all the crud.   Two pistons, cams, valves, spark, timing, and ignition, ......take off,

I kicked and kicked,and kicked, different time. Didn't go buy new bikes, built them up in the old days, we was PO folk.....miss them days.

You're just not going to get home on this project in any rational way.  You'll ruin the bike in the process.  If you want to turn the new bike in to an old bike just buy a cool old bike.

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 20 queries.