Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Monkey bar help on my street glide  (Read 14188 times)

Bowman1836

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 cvo street glide
Re: Monkey bar help on my street glide
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2012, 10:39:45 AM »

I installed my 10" monkey bars last December.... What a huge pita. The worst thing is not knowing everything you learn, before you start. After doing one set, you learn quite a bit.

Bowman, I'm going to be home this weekend and would be more than glad to help over the phone. If you pm me your number, I can call and help you through it. I know I certainly wish I had someone to call for firsthand advice when I did mine. It's kinda lengthy to type and just easier on the phone.

Thanks but I'm Gona let someone else have the fun. :)

krypto2011

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 11:03:42 AM »

Cool they are on back order for like 6 weeks

That's fine winter project anyway. The season is winding down quickly here in NH!!
2011 SESG Krypto/Black Diamond, SE 259e cams, SE 5.3 injectors, HPI 58mm throttle body, heads ported and polished, V&H power duals, CFR mufflers, SE race tuner, SE high flow air filter

Bowman1836

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 cvo street glide
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2012, 12:08:24 PM »

That's fine winter project anyway. The season is winding down quickly here in NH!!

I hear that. I prob should of just waited and did them myself. It's Ben one bad experience. The one good thing is I emailed yaffe and sent them pics and let them know the situation so they can do a better job of quality control. They actually cared and understood and are sending md a free set of power mirrors. I thought that was pretty good of them. Any ways good luck with the bars.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 12:33:32 PM »

Yes....a fine rainy winter day project!   And there won't be any stripped wires like when the stealership did my wife's handlebar swap....on an externally wired Sporty!!! I can only imagine the issues on an internally wired SG.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

HogHvn

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Spiced Rum
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2012, 07:25:12 PM »

Dealer done my install of 10" monkey bars. They only had to extend some of the wiring. Did not have to change any cables.

krypto2011

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2012, 07:37:13 PM »

My bars arrived today, and I am thinking about doing heat demons at the same time. Has anyone done this with the 10" monkey bars? Do the standard 1" demons work with these things?  Thanks!!
2011 SESG Krypto/Black Diamond, SE 259e cams, SE 5.3 injectors, HPI 58mm throttle body, heads ported and polished, V&H power duals, CFR mufflers, SE race tuner, SE high flow air filter

krypto2011

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2012, 02:22:42 PM »

So I finished my bars today. Did the 10" yaffe monkey bars. I started last Saturday. The inside of the bars had a fair amount of slag inside them. I had to do some work to clean them up before I could even pull wires through. It's kind of frustrating for what you pay for these things and I have to finish the job for them before I could even begin. Pulling the wires through was more than a little frustrating. That first bend is a b#tch. I ended up ruining a few of the pins on the end of the wires. I decided to order extensions this week rather than trying to put new pins on the existing wiring. I bought the extensions from Namz. I ordered a 12" switch kit and a 12" throttle by wire kit. I cleanly cut the existing wiring and soldiered on the extensions. The switch kit was good, however the throttle by wire kit was off on all colors except 2.  There are only 6 throttle by wire wires so it was easy to substitute the 4 wrong color wires. I am glad I added the extensions, when I got the bars on the bike the wires ran in the exact place they were without any unnecessary tension on them. I have to believe that without the extensions I would have had to run the wires in a different place or they would have had a quite a bit of tension on them. Once all together everything works perfectly. I am very happy with the finished product. I am gonna ride it a while before I decide on mirror options and see if different ones are necessary, however that will be a few months as we received 10" of snow yesterday and getting hit with another 6" tonight!!  Gotta love New England

CVO Brian

• Full CVO Member
  • Baggers- Not just for grandpa anymore

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra Orange and Black
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2012, 03:53:00 PM »

Congrats on the bars brother. I installed mine on my street glide and they were a PITA..ANd didnt need anything as far as wires or cables. I just installed Wild One 578 on my CVO Ultra and same thing nothing needed and these were so easy wires puled through in less than 10 minutes with heat shrink and silicone spray. Yaffe bars look so cool and are great bars.
V&H True Duals
Rinehart 4" Chrome Pipes
Trucklite ph 7 w/ passing lamps
Pollished front rotors
SE Race Tuner
SE Chisel Air Cleaner
Wild1 Chubby 578 10" Bars
TP Removal System
CVO SG Stretch Bags and Rear Fender
CVO SG 110 Derby Cover

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • SMF Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2012, 09:05:44 PM »

I knew a mechanic that could change out bars in just a few hours not days.  His secret was that he invested in a bicycle chain and would attach the end of the cable to the chain.  He then dropped the chain through the bar.  The bicycle chain is long enough that it always drops out the end.  He gently pulls on the bicycle chain and the wires come right out the end still attached to the chain.  :P. it would take him longer to attach the cables to the chain than it took him to get the wires through the bars.   :2vrolijk_21:
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2012, 09:08:05 PM »

I knew a mechanic that could change out bars in just a few hours not days.  His secret was that he invested in a bicycle chain and would attach the end of the cable to the chain.  He then dropped the chain through the bar.  The bicycle chain is long enough that it always drops out the end.  He gently pulls on the bicycle chain and the wires come right out the end still attached to the chain.  :P. it would take him longer to attach the cables to the chain than it took him to get the wires through the bars.   :2vrolijk_21:
Heck of an idea!...going by the shop I bought my mountain bike at to see if he's got an old chain he'll part with.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • SMF Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2012, 09:14:38 PM »

Heck of an idea!...going by the shop I bought my mountain bike at to see if he's got an old chain he'll part with.

From one Ruby SG to another Dayne, happy to help you out.  :P
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

CVO Brian

• Full CVO Member
  • Baggers- Not just for grandpa anymore

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra Orange and Black
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2012, 10:52:00 PM »

Use a ceiling fan light pull. You know the brass ones with all the little bee-bee's attatched. Thats what I always use. Electrical tape the wires to the chain after you have dropped the chain through the bars and slowly work both ends pushing at one end and pulling from the other and it will come through very easy. Yaffe bars are only hard at that point.
V&H True Duals
Rinehart 4" Chrome Pipes
Trucklite ph 7 w/ passing lamps
Pollished front rotors
SE Race Tuner
SE Chisel Air Cleaner
Wild1 Chubby 578 10" Bars
TP Removal System
CVO SG Stretch Bags and Rear Fender
CVO SG 110 Derby Cover

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2014, 06:17:19 PM »

BR Customs has a number of instructional video showing how easy it is to wire your new bars :2vrolijk_21:

http://www.brcustomcycles.com/HOW_TO_VIDEOS_FROM_BR.php
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 20 queries.