Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Monkey bar help on my street glide  (Read 14195 times)

Bowman1836

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 cvo street glide
Monkey bar help on my street glide
« on: September 23, 2012, 11:24:39 PM »

Ok got the 10 inch monkey bars for my 2012 cvo street and I'm trying to find out exactly what i need to install these Im getting mixed info by shops and just looking for info from some folks who have there's bars. Do I need to replace my clutch and brake cables ? And do I need new bushings ? I have an opt. To take it to the stealers tomorrow but if I need these parts it's no use dropping it off till I have them. Thanks

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
Re: Monkey bar help on my street glide
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 11:31:47 PM »

I've read reports that guys have bought the 10" Yaffe bars and have not had to lengthen anything.  I put Wild 1 Chubby 575's on my 2012 Streetglide and didn't have to change anything.  I put a set on my 08 and I had to redo the clutch cable to plus 4".
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

Bowman1836

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 11:35:42 PM »

I've read reports that guys have bought the 10" Yaffe bars and have not had to lengthen anything.  I put Wild 1 Chubby 575's on my 2012 Streetglide and didn't have to change anything.  I put a set on my 08 and I had to redo the clutch cable to plus 4".

Are the wild 1 10 inch ?

Bowman1836

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 12:14:51 AM »

Also did you redo your bushings ?

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 08:54:52 AM »

I just finished putting on the 12" Monkey Bars. During my request for info here the 10" don't need anything special. I did purchase the bushings but did not use them. Not really sure why. I guess the stock ones looked good to me. If I need to replace them later I will. For now I'll save the $30 or so.

I put on all new lines. That includes clutch, front brakes, and both lines from the ABS. All of the disassembly and re-install was pretty straight forward with one MAJOR exception. Stuff the wiring back into the bars is a Bee Eye Tee See H! Trust me!

Taking apart the wiring connectors, removing the fairing stuff, installing the new lines and lengthening the wiring was simple in comparison.

If you do it yourself take a huge patience pill. I bought Yafee's wiring and line kit. His instructions once you get the wiring back in says something like "Okay now you can take that Valium". If you are the type that gets fussy when things don't go right then take that Valium first.

Like I said, everything is pretty straightforward and easy for anyone who has a little smarts about them. When you're stuffing that wiring back in you'll think it will never go back in. A little liquid dish soap worked best for me.

Good luck my friend. Patience!!!!!!
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

Bowman1836

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 10:20:04 AM »

I just finished putting on the 12" Monkey Bars. During my request for info here the 10" don't need anything special. I did purchase the bushings but did not use them. Not really sure why. I guess the stock ones looked good to me. If I need to replace them later I will. For now I'll save the $30 or so.

I put on all new lines. That includes clutch, front brakes, and both lines from the ABS. All of the disassembly and re-install was pretty straight forward with one MAJOR exception. Stuff the wiring back into the bars is a Bee Eye Tee See H! Trust me!

Taking apart the wiring connectors, removing the fairing stuff, installing the new lines and lengthening the wiring was simple in comparison.

If you do it yourself take a huge patience pill. I bought Yafee's wiring and line kit. His instructions once you get the wiring back in says something like "Okay now you can take that Valium". If you are the type that gets fussy when things don't go right then take that Valium first.

Like I said, everything is pretty straightforward and easy for anyone who has a little smarts about them. When you're stuffing that wiring back in you'll think it will never go back in. A little liquid dish soap worked best for me.

Good luck my friend. Patience!!!!!!

Awesome so no cables or any thing I need to get to put my 10's on. Great thank you for the info. That's saves me 500 bucks labor and parts.

HD Kid

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: Scarlet Red & Charcoal Slate VRSCSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO2: Kryptonite FLHXSE2
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 10:16:51 PM »

Don't know how well you know the techs at your dealer, but I took everything apart myself and took the monkey bars and my stock wires to one of the guys at my dealer and paid him $40.00 to pull the wires on his own time.  He pulled them in less than 10 mins! I had tried for HOURS!!  Took em back to the house and put everything back together. And kept my sanity.

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 01:30:08 AM »

Don't know how well you know the techs at your dealer, but I took everything apart myself and took the monkey bars and my stock wires to one of the guys at my dealer and paid him $40.00 to pull the wires on his own time.  He pulled them in less than 10 mins! I had tried for HOURS!!  Took em back to the house and put everything back together. And kept my sanity.

Great advice, I did the same with my 12s. The tech at my dealer took them home with him over the weekend and added the extensions and put the connectors back on so that it would be plug and play. Love the bars!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 01:34:22 AM by rayson56 »
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

Bowman1836

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 11:19:55 AM »

Ok update. Took bike and bars to dealer about 30 min later got a call the bars after they cut the tie wraps and took plastic off the bars they had noticed one end had wire sheathing stuck in the corner so they said they couldn't install them at this point I'm pissed cause this bar thing has Ben an uphill battle from the get go with just getting them. So I try to get the sheathing out at the dealer no luck so I called the place I got them they said no problem send them we will overnight a new set cool. Well 2 hours later they call and said sorry but those are on back order for 6 weeks. That's my luck do I worked on the set I have for 4 hours and finally got the sheathing out. So they are getting installed now. I emailed yaffe seems this is an on going issue with his bars. People are getting send back items and it's a chitty deal to pay that much and have to fix his f ups. Any ways thanks for the help

krypto2011

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 05:20:16 AM »

Just looking for an update? Looking to do these bars on my '11 SESG and want to know if you really didn't need to extend anything?  Thanks
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 05:36:54 AM by krypto2011 »
2011 SESG Krypto/Black Diamond, SE 259e cams, SE 5.3 injectors, HPI 58mm throttle body, heads ported and polished, V&H power duals, CFR mufflers, SE race tuner, SE high flow air filter

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 06:05:38 AM »

Like Cowboy Bagger, I didn't have to extend anything with WO575s.  I needed new clutch and brake lines for my 04. The install on my 04 was such a PIA that I had my dealer do the 12.   Best 360.00 I ever paid.   I wasn't sure about the TBW and stuffing those wires in bars really is a bear.  I'm really happy with the bars too.  :)

Wanna Ride

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 06:31:18 AM »

I installed my 10" monkey bars last December.... What a huge pita. The worst thing is not knowing everything you learn, before you start. After doing one set, you learn quite a bit.

Bowman, I'm going to be home this weekend and would be more than glad to help over the phone. If you pm me your number, I can call and help you through it. I know I certainly wish I had someone to call for firsthand advice when I did mine. It's kinda lengthy to type and just easier on the phone.

Bowman1836

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 07:14:39 AM »

Update. Dealer has Ben working on my bike for two days now still not done. Guess its hard to get good help these days. Anyways was told yesterday it will be done sat.

krypto2011

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 09:52:54 AM »

Thanks for the info guys!! My dad and I own an auto repair shop and have been in business for 15+ years. We employ 5 great technicians. Dad and I usually end up with chit jobs so working on my bike on weekends and nights is relaxing. It's gotta go really bad for me to consider it a PITA.  I am off to order my 10" Yaffe bars!!!
2011 SESG Krypto/Black Diamond, SE 259e cams, SE 5.3 injectors, HPI 58mm throttle body, heads ported and polished, V&H power duals, CFR mufflers, SE race tuner, SE high flow air filter

Bowman1836

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 10:38:43 AM »

Thanks for the info guys!! My dad and I own an auto repair shop and have been in business for 15+ years. We employ 5 great technicians. Dad and I usually end up with chit jobs so working on my bike on weekends and nights is relaxing. It's gotta go really bad for me to consider it a PITA.  I am off to order my 10" Yaffe bars!!!
Cool they are on back order for like 6 weeks
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 20 queries.