Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Electronic Cruise Installed???  (Read 6657 times)

Dobeman2000

• Senior CVO Member
  • His and Hers

• CVO1: 2013 Red Breakout
    • CVO2: 2013 Gold Breakout
Electronic Cruise Installed???
« on: October 07, 2012, 06:03:01 PM »

Have any of you installed one of the aftermarket cruise control units available out there?  I know one actually uses Harley's unit and then wire it for a softail.  Of course these days, the CVO softails have cruise factory installed.  Any opinions/advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Re: Electronic Cruise Installed???
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 06:22:52 PM »

I found this after a search....

http://www.cruisemount.com/softail.html

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 07:37:14 PM »

Have put the kit that MJ linked on two bikes.  It works and does so as you'd expect it to.  Do you ride distances enough to justify the cost of their kit to gain cruise control?  If so it's a perfectly functional kit.  Sticks out a bit on the left side.  But it's not too bad.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 07:55:13 PM »

Doesn't hd offer a cruise control kit?  I remember I bought one for my 03 eg.  Looked just like stock and still works great today. My best friend Bob has that bike still.  :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 01:22:40 PM by cvostu »

cold1

• Full CVO Member
    • AB

• CVO1: 04 SEEG pumpkin
    • CVO2: 2010 WOLF Big Dog
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 08:22:48 AM »

my riding buddy has it on her softail for 3 years. she loves it  :2vrolijk_21:

Dobeman2000

• Senior CVO Member
  • His and Hers

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 09:42:56 AM »

This is a good point.  If I put it on I will be making more 100 mile trips.  I remember looking at these about 4 years ago when I was thinking about putting one on my Deluxe and they were about $500.  Don't know why the cost shot up, maybe because they are now including the actual dephi cruise control unit that Harley sells, or used to sell.  A few weeks ago I was dead set on getting a new Breakout, but the wife shot that down, so now want to do a couple of things to the Springer, but both are pretty expensive mods (cruise and apes), and I can't do the labor on either.  Have a good indy shop, but will still be expensive.

Have put the kit that MJ linked on two bikes.  It works and does so as you'd expect it to.  Do you ride distances enough to justify the cost of their kit to gain cruise control?  If so it's a perfectly functional kit.  Sticks out a bit on the left side.  But it's not too bad.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 11:29:22 AM »

I can't do the labor on either. 

Lack of tools or does it seem too daunting.  The cruise install isn't that difficult.  Their kit is surprisingly straightforward.  If you're thinking about apes with internal wiring the cruise kit is actually a much simpler task.  If you're not concerned about internal wires on the bars neither job is too demanding.

Dobeman2000

• Senior CVO Member
  • His and Hers

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 10:30:48 AM »

I have read that it takes quite a bit of time, and removal of the tank, ect.  Seems very daunting to me.  And I will be putting apes on as well, so I guess that will make it easier for the installer.  By the way, are you referring to the cruisemount kit?

Lack of tools or does it seem too daunting.  The cruise install isn't that difficult.  Their kit is surprisingly straightforward.  If you're thinking about apes with internal wiring the cruise kit is actually a much simpler task.  If you're not concerned about internal wires on the bars neither job is too demanding.

Dobeman2000

• Senior CVO Member
  • His and Hers

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 03:52:32 PM »

Does anyone have any experience with the kit from the link below?  Looks like essentially the same thing as the one from cruisemount, but is more hidden.

http://www.customizedcycles.com/

tjp

• 08 FXSTSSE2
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 07:39:07 PM »

I installed a manual cruise control on the throttle grip.  When on the throttle can be adjusted for more or less speed like a ratchet (but can still work both ways).  I had it installed at Laughlin River Run a few years back for ~$300.  It is very easy to slow down and speed back up and make minor adjustments when ridding in a group.  Only issue is on elevation changes you need to adjust the throttle....

If this is something you are interested in I can try and track down the mfg.

Dobeman2000

• Senior CVO Member
  • His and Hers

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 09:44:04 AM »

Is it by Brakeaway products?  Link is below:

http://www.cas4.com/billet50/tms.html

I installed a manual cruise control on the throttle grip.  When on the throttle can be adjusted for more or less speed like a ratchet (but can still work both ways).  I had it installed at Laughlin River Run a few years back for ~$300.  It is very easy to slow down and speed back up and make minor adjustments when ridding in a group.  Only issue is on elevation changes you need to adjust the throttle....

If this is something you are interested in I can try and track down the mfg.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 10:05:51 AM »

Does anyone have any experience with the kit from the link below?  Looks like essentially the same thing as the one from cruisemount, but is more hidden.

Not seen that one in person.  Though from the pic it looks to have an even cleaner installation than the other product cited earlier in the thread.  Same price too.

That's a lot of money for cruise control.  So you'll have to really want it.  The "manual" cruise mentioned above is functional.  But it's also little more than a fancy and expensive throttle lock.

If the cruise kits are too expensive (and to me they would be, especially on a bike that almost by definition isn't an all day highway cruiser or tourer) and the fancy throttle locks are too expensive for only being a dressed up version of what you've got to begin with there is another cheaper simpler option.  Consider something like the Kuryakyn ISO grips with their little throttle assist pad/lever/arm/whatever-you-call-it.  Get the little arm adjusted correctly and you can lay your hand against the grip without actually having to grab anything.  Your palm holds it in place resting against the lever.  It may seem simplistic but I like it much more than a throttle lock that always needs to be chased.

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 12:08:44 PM »

Yes I installed that on a friends bike about 3 years ago. Still working but I thought the pricing was around $750 for the kit then. It was a very nice kit.

:bananarock: :bananarock:

Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

tjp

• 08 FXSTSSE2
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 12:32:03 PM »

Is it by Brakeaway products?  Link is below:

http://www.cas4.com/billet50/tms.html

Yes, it is very similar to that, but mine does not have the front brake lever release, only the button.  It greatly reduces wrist/hand fatigue and allows full motion of the throttle at any time.  I highly recommend.

Page created in 0.287 seconds with 24 queries.