Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starter kill won't deactivate?  (Read 1813 times)

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
Starter kill won't deactivate?
« on: October 07, 2012, 11:34:13 PM »

Trying to troubleshoot from afar... I'm in Afghanistan, wife is in CO. She's been trying to start my SERG, but isn't having any luck. Walked her through everything I could think of on the phone last week (in gear, pulled up kickstand in case it was that switch, kill switch is on run...), no joy. Had her take the laptop/webcam out there last night; the security system isn't disengaging (pretty sure I asked her if the lights were flashing while I had her on the phone and she said no). Had her swap the battery in the fob, still nothing; "key" LED on the dash still flashes, as do the 4-ways. Any ideas what might be up?

I'm not gonna be home on R&R until March; hoping to get it started before then! lol

Thanks for any suggestions you might have!

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
Re: Starter kill won't deactivate?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 05:05:58 AM »

Mike have you changed the battery yet?  :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 05:08:18 AM by Gettinold »
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 08:17:26 AM »

The fob battery? Yes (mentioned above)

The bike is on a battery tender, so its battery is good.

RANGER73

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 08:43:14 AM »

Sounds like the security was activated, and needs resetting. I don't know the procedure as mine doesn't have that.
SUA SPONTE
PAID CLOSE ATTENTION TO ALL MURPHY'S LAWS

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 10:22:35 AM »

may try entering security code, manually! manual (owners) details how! have to ask is bike in neutral!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 10:33:46 AM by smkymtnboy »

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 10:30:08 AM »

may try entering security code, manually! manual (owners) details how!

She's looking for the owners manual today (assuming I told her the right place to look). Will check out what it says there. Thanks

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 11:16:06 AM »

How close is your dealer and would they be willing to come to your house to help?  I only ask because I can imagine what my wife would do if the alarm happened to go off uncontrollably and it would not be pretty. :o

Of course, when stored, it is better to leave the bike off ..... but that's a subject for another thread.

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 11:32:45 AM »

How close is your dealer and would they be willing to come to your house to help?  I only ask because I can imagine what my wife would do if the alarm happened to go off uncontrollably and it would not be pretty. :o

Of course, when stored, it is better to leave the bike off ..... but that's a subject for another thread.

I don't have the alarm, just the stock security/starter kill. For some reason it isn't picking up the key fob being in proximity to the bike.

ultrarider123

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 12:26:03 PM »

Probably a dumb question but have you tried both fobs?  When you change out the battery in the fob, it may (but isn't suppose to) reset and not be recognized by the bike.  Friend in the parts department had same issue in K'ville...called HD and was told it shouldn't reset but did.  He had to order another fob set to the correct frequency of his Ultra...and surprise, HD sent the fob free...yea, surprised me, too.

Anyway, if both fobs are not working, go the way of the manual with the reset codes as you posted in this thread earlier.  Also, if she is trying to operate after the bike shuts down, there is a down time in the system (10 minutes I believe....don't have my book in front of me) before it resets and not sure if this is independent of the code input.  Has she/you contacted the dealer just in case?  Man, sorry for all the issues with you halfway around the world.  

Is there anyone on this site close enough to help out?

wideglidejoe

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 05:11:54 PM »

I would leave the fob in the house and try to deactivate the security system using the manual method; right turn signal, left turn signal, etc., to enter the correct code.  Hopefully she has the code.

I don't know how far you are from a dealer, but I'm thinking if she called or went by the dealership and explained that you were in Afghanistan, that someone from the service dept would come by your house and help her.  That is, if you trust your dealers service folks at your house!?!  Maybe she should have someone else there with her when whomever comes by.

Even better if someone on this forum is close by to you, as already mentioned.

Thank you for your service to our country!!  Be careful!  God Bless!
2011 FLHTCUSE6 Blue
2005 Wide Glide
1962 Mustang Bronco Scooter
1972 Indian (Italjet 50cc) minibike
1965 AC Cobra replica
1955 Chevy Bel Air

RANGER73

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 06:01:53 PM »

Just re-read the OP, sound like it's not recognizing the FOB. Did she run it though the washer by accident? Is there a second FOB? :nixweiss:
SUA SPONTE
PAID CLOSE ATTENTION TO ALL MURPHY'S LAWS

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 12:21:45 AM »

She did try both fobs; no luck. She got the manual today and actually noticed the NOTE that says to ensure the + side of the battery is down in the fob. She opened the one she put the new battery in, and sure enough; she put it in upside down. Swapped it and it fired right up!!

Thanks for all the responses!!  :)

ultrarider123

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 07:38:23 AM »

It's always the simplest things.  Glad to hear it was an easy fix and things are working again.  I, too, would like to thank you for your service to our country.  May God watch over you and your wife during this time apart and bring you home safe and sound.   :angel:

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 11:03:50 PM »

It's always the simplest things.  Glad to hear it was an easy fix and things are working again.  I, too, would like to thank you for your service to our country.  May God watch over you and your wife during this time apart and bring you home safe and sound.   :angel:

Thanks  :)

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 20 queries.