Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: SE compensator worn out  (Read 5845 times)

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
SE compensator worn out
« on: October 19, 2012, 02:26:44 PM »

My 08 CUSE started experiencing starting issues coupled with a noticeable clunk noise when shutting down.  Took it in to my HD service dept and they just called verifying that the compensator is bad.  The original compensator was changed out at 31K miles and upgraded to the SE compensator at that time.  Now the SE compensator is worn out at 78K miles and will be replaced with the latest version (I understand there is a change to the SE comp).
Just info folks, FYI.  The SE comp is not without issues of its own.  I hear on other forums the SE comp has lube issues on the ramps of the comp, not so much spring problems.  I have not verified the failure mode of my comp yet - I'll ask when I pick up my bike.
Pays to have ESP!

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
Re: SE compensator worn out
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 03:04:05 PM »

Update:  the ramps on the comp were badly worn.  This reconfirms the findings of other forums that mentioned the ramp wear issue.  No more clunk on shutdown and the engine starts great again.

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 07:32:39 PM »

Had mine replaced last week at 12500 miles. It was pretty hammered. Shifts smoother and no clunk on shutdown.

SIX38

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 Ultra Classic Ruby Red / Maroon (traded in)
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Mako Fade
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 03:04:16 AM »

Another example of the improperly designed, poorly manufactured components (outsourced I'm sure) that the MOCO is putting in these motors. And this is supposedly the improved SE version of the original piece of junk compensator.
 The list of HD parts that are failing at relatively low milage continues to grow. Seems to me the the only concern of Harley Davidson is to get the bikes past their warranty period. The extended warranty provider has got to be saying "WTF" and are bleeding money on claims.  
 Of all the extended warranties I have purchased over the years on many products, the one on my SEUC is the first time I have ever come out ahead (way ahead!!) of the purchase price of the warranty.
NEW Harley buyers ALERT, don't leave the dealer without one (ESP), and sell the bike when it expires.
It does pain me to feel this way, but the facts speak for themself.
Tom P.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 03:09:44 AM by SIX38 »

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 09:47:56 AM »

Tom you are 100% right.
Bill

Driftercat

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 10:48:55 AM »

Had mine replaced at 98,500klms (60,000 miles). Dealer also replaced the stator at the same time. Put on new tires and totally got that new bike feel back.

sharper85

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 04:06:39 PM »

Had mine changed twice. 2 starters. I am glad i found this site. It seems we all have the same problems with this 110. I have 82k on mine and now it runs the best since i got it in 09. Its a shame Harley didn't fix this problem from the start. We paid too much $$$$ for this bike. Thank God for the extended warranty.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 02:03:50 PM »

tennisman, Last July at about 17K I took my bike in for a howling noise I was hearing, and I also commented on a noise coming from the primary. Turns out both front wheel bearing were shot and replaced under warranty.(in a previous post I said they only replaced one bearing my mistake) Anyways when I complained about a noise coming from the primary near the front the tech said my stator plug was leaking, and since it was he could take off my primary cover and replace anything inside that was not up to spec. Turned out compensator spring was under spec (paperwork shows it measured .625) and was replaced with SE version. I can honestly say I didn't see any oil coming from stator plug. Naturally I didn't say anything. but tech said he saw some "moisture" and that was the only way he could pull cover off under warranty since he wasn't hearing the noise that I complained about. Both items were covered under warranty and the price  for the job would have cost me $1070.67, but since I have the extender warranty I  paid the $50.00 plus 101.95 for the upgraded compensator. So if I still have my 09 when the extended warranty runs out. I will purchase an additional extended warranty. The salesman told me at time of purchase I could do so. I guess my point is if you want the dealer to pull the primary and you are concerned about the  dealer not agreeing with your assesment of the noise you need to have an obvious reason for them to pull it.CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

Thermodyne

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 05:48:40 PM »

Sure reminds me of the days when the scooters had big AMF decals on the tanks.  Build em with crap parts and let the dealers fix em.  Fix em with even worse parts that the company called "improved".

YELLOWBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO ROADGLIDE
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 07:28:39 AM »

tennisman, Last July at about 17K I took my bike in for a howling noise I was hearing, and I also commented on a noise coming from the primary. Turns out both front wheel bearing were shot and replaced under warranty.(in a previous post I said they only replaced one bearing my mistake) Anyways when I complained about a noise coming from the primary near the front the tech said my stator plug was leaking, and since it was he could take off my primary cover and replace anything inside that was not up to spec. Turned out compensator spring was under spec (paperwork shows it measured .625) and was replaced with SE version. I can honestly say I didn't see any oil coming from stator plug. Naturally I didn't say anything. but tech said he saw some "moisture" and that was the only way he could pull cover off under warranty since he wasn't hearing the noise that I complained about. Both items were covered under warranty and the price  for the job would have cost me $1070.67, but since I have the extender warranty I  paid the $50.00 plus 101.95 for the upgraded compensator. So if I still have my 09 when the extended warranty runs out. I will purchase an additional extended warranty.[/font] The salesman told me at time of purchase I could do so. I guess my point is if you want the dealer to pull the primary and you are concerned about the  dealer not agreeing with your assesment of the noise you need to have an obvious reason for them to pull it.CAHDBIKER

Not trying to hijack this, but is this true or just "another non informed sales dummy" attempting his best to know all.  :nixweiss:

This is the first that I have heard of this.

Thanks in advance!

Ride Safe,

YELLOWBIRD
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 07:30:47 AM by YELLOWBIRD »
2009 SCREAMIN' EAGLE CVO ROAD GLIDE FLTRSE3 117" PRO RACE
(1 OF ONLY 369 US) "LAST YEAR OF THE HAND BUILT"

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 07:33:31 AM »

Not trying to hijack this, but is this true or just "another non informed sales dummy" attempting his best to know all.  :nixweiss:

Thanks in advance!

Ride Safe,

YELLOWBIRD
Just before my ESP ran out I received notification that I could contact my dealer and purchase another ESP before the original ESP expired.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

YELLOWBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO ROADGLIDE
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 08:31:18 AM »

Just before my ESP ran out I received notification that I could contact my dealer and purchase another ESP before the original ESP expired.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

AWESOME!

Great news, and glad to hear this. BTW, Dood did you extend your ESP and at what price?

YELLOWBIRD
2009 SCREAMIN' EAGLE CVO ROAD GLIDE FLTRSE3 117" PRO RACE
(1 OF ONLY 369 US) "LAST YEAR OF THE HAND BUILT"

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 11:50:36 AM »

As I recall, there were  limitations. One being you had to be under a certain mileage, 70K I believe. Not sure though

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 03:39:57 PM »

AWESOME!

Great news, and glad to hear this. BTW, Dood did you extend your ESP and at what price?

YELLOWBIRD
I did not extend mine nor did I call to get prices, sorry.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 04:25:34 PM »

Yellowbird, my HD dealer is about 6 miles from my house. I went in there on a regular basis before I bought my 09 since I needed things for my 95 Heritage. I met the salesman about 2 years before I purchased. I told him if I buy I would use him and I did. So if he was not being honest about purchasing extender warranty after my first 7 years runs out (I got my 09 in Aug of  08) I am going to be pretty pissed, but after reading the other posts I don't think that will be the case.CAHDBIKER

Thanks in advance!

Ride Safe,

YELLOWBIRD

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 20 queries.