Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: STUPID MISTAKE!  (Read 1813 times)

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
STUPID MISTAKE!
« on: August 09, 2004, 09:11:51 AM »

Well, I made a stupid mistake this weekend that cost me some scratches on my SCEEG...... I hope you guys can learn for my error!  

As most of you probably know, when the SCEEG is on the kickstand, the lean angle is much less than on other FLH models.  During a weekend trip to the NC mountains, I had to park my bike on an incline.  The high side of hill was on the left of the bike.  BIG MISTAKE!  The next morning, while packing the bags, I used too much pressure pushing luggage into the right bag.  The bike came over on its right side.  I was able to slow the fall but couldn't stop it.  This resulted in scratches to the bottom edge of the lower fairing and the lower edge of the right bag.....    

So, now I know to pay more attention to where I park my bike!  I hope this piece of info helps save someone elses paint and a hernia!  

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
Re: STUPID MISTAKE!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 10:11:30 AM »

Sorry about the drop, I have been worried about this myself!

I wonder if there is anything that can be adjusted with the stand to change the lean angle...  With the bike verticle, the stand drags the ground as it is pushed forward.

/Bill

Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

103Eagle

• Full CVO Member
  • Always Lookin fer sumtin but dunno what!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 08:49:11 PM »

Keep in mind that our bikes are lowered 1inch front and rear from the factory.  I would almost bet that the kickstand is exactly the same as the regular touring models.  There is not adjustment.  I have not had any issues with the angle but I try take into account which side the lean is and park accordingly with the angle of the parking space.
Enjoy
2004 FLHTCSE, HD Race Tuner, D-D Performance Fat Cat Exhaust, Ghost Pipe, SE High Flow Air Cleaner, Detachable King Tour Pak, RCA Lyra MP3 player and some chrome goodies! 2009 Street Glide

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 09:28:01 PM »

Sitting on the saddle or even standing straddling the seat, with the bike upright, does the stand still hit the floor/ground?

Mine does and to kick it up without sliding it across the ground, I have to counter lean it to the right side.

Should the factory have designed the bike this way?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 09:28:31 PM by WFP »
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

mfgreen

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2004, 12:34:58 PM »

Sitting on the saddle or even standing straddling the seat, with the bike upright, does the stand still hit the floor/ground?

Mine does and to kick it up without sliding it across the ground, I have to counter lean it to the right side.

Should the factory have designed the bike this way?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2004, 09:51:30 AM by mfgreen »

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 20 queries.