Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Author Topic: No Roadglide for 2014  (Read 23321 times)

Thermodyne

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4
Re: No Roadglide for 2014
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2012, 09:45:22 PM »

Seriously, what's to discontinue for worn out tooling?  All we're talking about here is a couple of plastic parts, some vender supplied wiring and brackets along with other low bid incidentals.  The rest of the scooter is pure run of the mill touring bike.  

And any redesign of the fairing as far as styling or ergonomics would not take a model year.  

RG sales are good even though volume is low, so dealers have to be really balking at this.  It's rare to find a leftover RG in this area, and used are almost nonexistent at the dealers.

I'm thinking of three possibilities.

They reworked the shark nose so as to make the inner fairing common to the rest of the touring line.  And the year off is to let people get used to the look.  Lowers costs and increases profits.

They redid the whole scooter so as to look more like the custom built RG's with the ass dragen bags and raked big wheel front ends that have been so popular in the last couple of years.  It would be in keeping with maximizing profits and creating high end scooter demand.

Or, this is it and as predicted by some, the RG will be the first water cooled tourer, with the rads built into the fairing.  In this instance we should see some leaks from emissions certs as well as some glimpses of road tests by late next summer.

The MoCo has to have noticed that Honda has taken a shot at the RG Custom segment.  And this could be a reaction to that.  It could also be that they want to do something that will increase the profit per unit on the RG.  Based on pricing, they would seem to be the lowest profits among baggers.  And a year off would limit the shock and resistance among buyers.  Or perhaps, by chance, for some unexplained reason, they have finally taken note of the heat and performance complaints from their bagger customers and decided that it was time to stop putting off the need to address these problems.  

E-Skunk

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2012, 09:56:44 PM »

As always, time will tell! The story that comes out of the big brick building is usually a nugget of truth wrapped in a whole lot of mystery.  I guess we will have to wait, make up a whole bunch of guesses and finally see!   ;D

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2012, 05:29:49 AM »

I'm not too sure about a cooling system in the fairing to be quite frank. That would be pulling a lot of air through it pushing the heat out of the back of a radiator right onto a bunch of electronics.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

paddockdrive

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock (sold)
    • CVO2: FLTRXSE2 Atomic Orange
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2012, 09:47:32 AM »

Agreed, making lowers standard on the touring models and hiding them there makes better sense.

Cosmic Charlie

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2012, 11:42:44 AM »

Agreed, making lowers standard on the touring models and hiding them there makes better sense.

AND HECK !

the lowers on the Ultra's ALREADY look like a cooling radiator !
2009 FLTRSE3 Electric Orange RG SE 110
D&D Boss Fat Cats with Ghost Pipe
CeeBaileysSuperStepContour14"
TTS Tuner
Ohlin's #3-3
J&M 7 1/4's & 250 amp
Utopia Drivers Back Rest

Nothing Left To Do But Smile Smile Smile

Thermodyne

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2012, 12:26:36 PM »

I'm not too sure about a cooling system in the fairing to be quite frank. That would be pulling a lot of air through it pushing the heat out of the back of a radiator right onto a bunch of electronics.

I was thinking that the new scooter would have the lowers built into the fairing.  Take the air in behind the headlight in the high pressure area under the style line, then vent it out of the lowers.  But they could put the rads almost anywhere.  Tank area or back with the bags.  It's all workable.

Cosmic Charlie

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2012, 04:55:57 PM »

My 1987 Yamaha Venture Tourer had an air intake under the headlight and fed it to the closeable vents built into the lowers on each side (cool air vents)  ... (1987 !)
and the lowers were built into the fairing ... also had another set of lower vents to direct (or block) warm engine air toward your legs ... (HEAT) and it worked very good.

(25 F'in years ago ...) it also had stereo, cruise, adjustable on the fly rear air suspension, trip computer, electric activated anti dive front forks, & self canceling directionals

Wake Up MoCo
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 08:40:06 PM by Cosmic Charlie »
2009 FLTRSE3 Electric Orange RG SE 110
D&D Boss Fat Cats with Ghost Pipe
CeeBaileysSuperStepContour14"
TTS Tuner
Ohlin's #3-3
J&M 7 1/4's & 250 amp
Utopia Drivers Back Rest

Nothing Left To Do But Smile Smile Smile

Mountainman streetbob

• Just Ride, Daily if possible, Just Ride!!!!!!!
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2012 SE7 CVO Electra Glide Ultra
    • GA

« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2012, 05:31:32 PM »

I have been saving and drooling to finally order my cvo rg in 2013 and now I find this out!       :soapbox:       I sure hope this turns out to be bs...
2012 CVO SE7 ElectraGlideUltra Cams??? PowerCommanderV Crocodile Seats, rhinehardts,xm, Ipod, Nav-Zumo...
Windscreen, driver backrest handlebars, fulsac COMING SOON

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2012, 08:25:16 PM »

With the lowers built close to the fairing the current RG has a lot better weather protection (rain) than the BW already. Joining the two would make it even better...warm air in the winter, ambient air in the summer, and dry boots and legs all year long. This next change could be where the MOCO needs to go if they want to keep the boomers on board.
 I'm not really interested in extracting more power out of single crank pin farm engine when it could be had out of the box with a modern wet motor. Leave the traditional motor for the bar hoppers and give us old folks a bagger that will eat Wings and miles all day long.

grandpadoc

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2012, 02:10:06 PM »

I'm sure whatever scheme HD is dreaming about will be nothing more than a "new-improved" package built with yesterday's technology boasting a higher price tag ... I won't lose any sleep over whatever it is.
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2012, 04:49:20 PM »

I was really hoping they were going to be releasing the 111th anniversary Road Glide (hey, it is a special number so I can see HD doing the annie hype).

Maybe they will do the wet motors on the 112th Road Glide anniversary models.  If they do, then I will have to wait for the 116th anniversary model for them to get the the kinks worked out.

My first bike with the 99th annie model.  Never had a problem with it!

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

mitch.smith

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Street Glide Drk Slate and Blk Diamond
2013 Last year for the Road Glide
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2013, 03:09:58 PM »

I was told the other day by a fried that a dealer had told him 2013 was the last year for the Road Glide. He said they were going to stop making several models to improve their profit bottom line.  Has any one else heard this? :'(

E-Skunk

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
Re: 2013 Last year for the Road Glide
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2013, 08:51:35 PM »

I was told the other day by a fried that a dealer had told him 2013 was the last year for the Road Glide. He said they were going to stop making several models to improve their profit bottom line.  Has any one else heard this? :'(

The word about the MoCo not making a RoadGlide in 2014 but back in 2015 has been out there for a while. As for dropping other models, every year they add and delete models based on popularity so that doesn't sound out of the norm.

mitch.smith

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Street Glide Drk Slate and Blk Diamond
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2013, 09:38:49 AM »

I have been saving and drooling to finally order my cvo rg in 2013 and now I find this out!       :soapbox:       I sure hope this turns out to be bs...
Better Grab a 2013 before the last one is gone!!! :o

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2013, 09:53:57 AM »

didnt we hear the same thing back in 2009?
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 25 queries.