Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Low fuel light?  (Read 4236 times)

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
Low fuel light?
« on: December 08, 2012, 03:24:27 PM »

I have noticed that my low fuel light has not been coming on even when it shows less than 50 miles to empty.  When I full up I usually take 4 to 4-1/2 gallons.  Never any more and that's right up to the top. Is this thing working correctly?  Does it light up when it has only 1 gallon or less?   I'll take some help on this one for sure.   Thanks in advance.  Stuart  :confused5:

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: Low fuel light?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 03:30:30 PM »

Stu, yeah, it's supposed to come on when you get to the last gallon.  With the big tanks it seems a little unnaturally long.  Bet you just needed another 20 miles, or so, to light 'er up.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 03:31:19 PM »

I have noticed that my low fuel light has not been coming on even when it shows less than 50 miles to empty.  When I full up I usually take 4 to 4-1/2 gallons.  Never any more and that's right up to the top. Is this thing working correctly?  Does it light up when it has only 1 gallon or less?   I'll take some help on this one for sure.   Thanks in advance.  Stuart  :confused5:
Should come on at 1 gallon. Also, I noticed on mine the trip odometer changes automatically to show how many miles you can go before running out.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 05:14:33 PM »

Those "how many miles till you're out" readings are always wrong, you can get at least another 10 miles when the reading says there's nothing left... Try it, you'll see!

dirtdobber

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 02:07:56 PM »

I trust my trip meter only. I know I can get 200 miles easy.
The lights on the tank are just a idea. When the light comes on the dash I will get fuel but I know I have close to 70 miles left.
2012 CVO street glide, 2010 Dyna wide glide SS 106

KennyC

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2004SE E-Glide Org/Blk
    • CVO2: I Wish
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 02:54:05 PM »

Road mine around close to the gas station untill the light came on, then filled er up. Had 7/10's of a gallon left!

Deep Blue Dives

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: "Cali" - 2012 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 08:31:06 PM »

Don't forget you have a 6 gallon tank now.  Unless your hitting it hard, it will take longer for that sucker to run E.  With a good tune, you will be running great mileage, and it may seem like forever.

The Harley fuel gauges/lights/meters are all a P.O.S.,  and well documented in all forums.  It is good to know what your fuel level is when your light initially comes on.  The estimated miles to empty is all dependent on  how your driving at the current time, and I have had mine pop up Lo before with a good 1/2 gallon still in the tank.

I usually find myself stopping more frequent for a break than fuel, so it is usually only an issue when I am pushing it on a short ride without fueling up to start.
"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be" ~Pink Floyd
"Counting all the assholes in the room...I'm definitely not alone" ~Volbeat

KennyC

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2004SE E-Glide Org/Blk
    • CVO2: I Wish
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 09:24:02 AM »

Road mine around close to the gas station untill the light came on, then filled er up. Had 7/10's of a gallon left!
Just noticed that I ROAD mine!!  ::)   How bout Rode!!  ;D Having 6 gallons has to be pretty nice, and 6 speeds??

Vyscera

• Angsty Youth
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FXDFSE2- Taken out by a Ford
    • CVO2: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 11:44:50 AM »

my light kicks on close to the 1 gal mark. Though the range read out always comes up as 35 miles remaining. I've run it well past the "low" read out and still had 2/5 gal left.
Motorbreath is how I live my life, I cant take it any other way...

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 11:56:47 AM »

Stu...my gauge is on E long before my light comes on.  The few times I've run it down until the light comes on, I've never been able to get more than about 5.3 gallons in the tank.  I still just depend on my odometer and reset at every fill up.  When it reads 200 miles, I know it's time to start thinking about finding gas.  If I'm on a trip, I've stopped long before that to whiz and stretch, so I just stop at a gas station and kill three birds with one stone.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 02:07:08 PM »

Those "how many miles till you're out" readings are always wrong, you can get at least another 10 miles when the reading says there's nothing left... Try it, you'll see!

This is true... but not very comforting when you know you've already gone 100+ miles past the last gas station.

I use the 'Miles remaining' as more of a mpg gauge, as my low fuel light comes on at the last gallon and I have the gauge set to automatically go to the 'miles remaining' screen when that happens.  Usually around 34 to 38 miles remaining.

I did however run almost 30 miles on what was supposed to be my last 10.  When I filled up, according to how much I put in, there was still a 1/4 gallon in the tank.   8)
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 02:36:16 PM »

My fuel gauge sucks.  It registers at .5 tank, when really at .25.  Over the past year I've learned to know the limits.  The light comes on at the last gallon of the 5 gallon tank; so I can sort of judge when I'll have to stop.  My commute is 26 miles to and from work, so if I have anything less than .5 registering on the gauge, I fill up in the morning on the way in.  On several occasions I've had to stop and shake my bike in order to get another mile or two down the road.  So far, so good and it's worked. 

But I don't take anything for granted given the inaccurate reading on these gauges. 

One would think they could get this right.  :nixweiss:
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 08:10:34 PM »

Thanks for all the replies.   Seems since the bike has "broken in".  It seems different.   I usually top off with about 3.3-4.5 gallons at a time. Just different from what I am used to.. Thanks again.   Stuart
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 11:23:19 PM by cvostu »

Tannehill Kid

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Street Glide
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 09:18:29 PM »

Mine does pretty much as you explained above.  When the low fuel light stays on 4 1/2 to 4 3/4 is all I can get into the tank.

flyin-r

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Spiced Rum
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 11:39:29 AM »

Hey Stu,
Mine also comes on with about 40-42 miles left on the range indicator and I can always squeeze more than a gallon in the tank. I've noticed that the mileage range tends to drop about 2 miles for every mile travelled when it gets that low however and that can scare the crap out of you when riding in the boonies.
Only two months 'till Daytona...see you there.  Rab
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 26 queries.