Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best HD accessory  (Read 1599 times)

mslcpa

• Junior CVO Member
Best HD accessory
« on: December 09, 2012, 05:20:21 PM »

So...my 2010 SESG with 24K miles starts making some bad knocking and "whooshing" noises down low. Dealer replaces a damaged compensator. Go to pick up the "repaired' bike and still making noise. Leave at the dealer and get a call that front cylinder failed compression test and they are replacing both pistons and cylinders and reworking the heads. They said that they checked the crank shaft and flywheels and they were fine. When I asked what could cause this on a relatively low mileage, babied bike, the service mgr really couldn't say but suspected "bad gas". Think he shoulda stuck with "don't know". Dealer did step up and give me an Ultra as a loaner, so they are trying to keep me happy.

Got the bike back on Friday and runs great. No noise. Even the "normal" valve train sounds seem reduced. When I again questioned the service mgr as to possible cause he could only point to very heavy carbon buildup and still thinks that may be crappy E-10 fuel, even though I try and stick with either Shell or BP premium. Who knows.

Final tally from the bottom up:

New Compensator
New cams
New lifters
2 new pistons and ring sets
2 new cylinders
New Valve seals
Heads reworked

So as far as I am concerned, the best accessory that you can add to your bike is most definitely an Extended Service Plan.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Best HD accessory
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 06:56:33 PM »

So...my 2010 SESG with 24K miles starts making some bad knocking and "whooshing" noises down low. Dealer replaces a damaged compensator. Go to pick up the "repaired' bike and still making noise. Leave at the dealer and get a call that front cylinder failed compression test and they are replacing both pistons and cylinders and reworking the heads. They said that they checked the crank shaft and flywheels and they were fine. When I asked what could cause this on a relatively low mileage, babied bike, the service mgr really couldn't say but suspected "bad gas". Think he shoulda stuck with "don't know". Dealer did step up and give me an Ultra as a loaner, so they are trying to keep me happy.

Got the bike back on Friday and runs great. No noise. Even the "normal" valve train sounds seem reduced. When I again questioned the service mgr as to possible cause he could only point to very heavy carbon buildup and still thinks that may be crappy E-10 fuel, even though I try and stick with either Shell or BP premium. Who knows.

Final tally from the bottom up:

New Compensator
New cams
New lifters
2 new pistons and ring sets
2 new cylinders
New Valve seals
Heads reworked

So as far as I am concerned, the best accessory that you can add to your bike is most definitely an Extended Service Plan.

That's a sad statement, but oh so true...

It's funny how other bikes and cars don't have any issues with pump gas, but HD will make up any excuse.  Unless I could pay cash for a bike up front, I would never go without the ESP until the bike is paid for.  As long as you don't get too carried away with mods, the ESP will cover you in most cases.

Try running some Seafoam through the bike just before oil changes...it'll help the carbon buildup.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Puck

• Full CVO Member
  • LIVE FREE OR DIE......

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Black Diamond
    • CVO2: 2008 FXSTC vivid black...45" sissy bar & 18" 1.5 apes
    • CVO3: 2008 xl1200c bobtail,low riser,gauges,lowered,tuned,fast as hell
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 04:03:33 PM »

Yup he who owns CvO without ESP..is not wise...grasshopper....

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 04:32:25 PM »

Yup he who owns CvO without ESP..is not wise...grasshopper....

Or do the work yourself...or take your bike to the Metal Dragon!   :cucumber:

Puck

• Full CVO Member
  • LIVE FREE OR DIE......

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 05:11:51 PM »

Or do the work yourself...or take your bike to the Metal Dragon!   :cucumber:

That's ok if you don't mind paying for chit that could be covered by a ESP.... I am a cert tech so get paid to do my own work plus parts....best of both worlds....

ffltjeff

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHTCUSE8
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 05:14:22 PM »

Just had a conversation with the sales/shop manager of my local Harley Dealer the other day about gas.  He stated that he sees issues every year with bikes that were up in Sturgis.  Most complaints involve pinging and knocking, one was trailered back and fuel drained full tank of gas had a large amount of water in it.  My 05 Ultra grenaded shortly after I got back from Sturgis this year, had Rinehrarts on it so I could not tell you if it was pinging or not.  I ended up trading it in on my CVO, happy to say they treated me pretty well.  In the conversation he told me the pinging wreaked havoc on the bottom end, which by coincidence is what let loose on mine.    
2013 FLHTCUSE8
V&H Power Duals, V&H Monster Ovals, SERT
Progressive 444 shocks, Progressive Cartridge Fork Kit
Windsplitter windshield

Puck

• Full CVO Member
  • LIVE FREE OR DIE......

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 05:19:34 PM »

This does not surprise me a bit....plus these are prolly tuned for better gas also so when you get some chit gas guess what?....pinging knock knock.....BOOM hey that's a song ain't it?

E-Skunk

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 09:45:16 PM »

This does not surprise me a bit....plus these are prolly tuned for better gas also so when you get some chit gas guess what?....pinging knock knock.....BOOM hey that's a song ain't it?

I am pretty sure it's "chit'ty - chit'ty - bang - BOOM!" Man, I hate that tune!

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 24 queries.