Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where did you mount your battery tender connector?- Update with PICS  (Read 5042 times)

prstaples1911

• Junior CVO Member

See updated post below for my alternate location.  Opinions wanted.

The dealer installed the pigtail for the battery tender under the seat, which requires removal of the seat every time I want to charge the battery.  Horn bracket receptacle solutions from Powerlet look to be well designed but a little overkill for my needs and expensive.  

Has anyone mounted the pigtail in a different location that allows for easier access without removing the seat?  The wire I have is a little short, but longer wires should not be difficult to find.  I was thinking of extending it to the bottom of the bike frame.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 09:26:31 AM by prstaples1911 »

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
Re: Where did you mount your battery tender connector?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 03:46:58 PM »

I have two....they are the heated gear connector. Mine always pokes out from under the seat just behind the tank....the second pokes up through the driver backrest slot.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

sjr

• Full CVO Member
  • The hotter the Fire.....The Stronger the Steel
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 04:54:46 PM »

I also have both leads, one for battery tender, one for heated gear. both come out under the seat on the left side.
Tender lead is in the rear, wire-tied to the frame....heated gear lead poked out towards front of seat.

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 06:25:04 PM »

My tender line is through the frame off the right side of the bike, I ran the heated gear line up through the hole in the seat that the backrest slips in to.

prstaples1911

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 09:15:23 PM »

So two of you mentioned the backrest slot.  Are these stock seats?  I do not have such a slot on my 2012 seat.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 09:32:16 PM »

So two of you mentioned the backrest slot.  Are these stock seats?  I do not have such a slot on my 2012 seat.

So far I think all the folks responding are riding Touring models, not Softails.  That may account for the confusion.

If your dealer installed the H-D brand pigtail, they only come in one length.  Take a look and see if they didn't tie off the excess or route it in such a way as to make it seem too short.

Do you want the connector solidly mounted in an easily accessible location so you can just pop the cap and plug in the charger, or do you want it completely hidden when not in use?  I only ask this because some folks around here are more into looks than they are function.  On my Touring model, I fished the pigtail through a hole in the metal frame gusset plate located directly behind the engine, then mounted it pointing out the right side with 3M moulding tape.  Your frame is set up differently, but there are many other surfaces you could use on a Softie.  IMHO mounting it solidly is much better than just letting the connector hang off the end of the harness.  And if you prepare the surfaces correctly, the moulding tape will do a good job of keeping the connector in place without resorting to wire ties or other methods.  Mine has been hanging in there for about six years with no problems.

Jerry

FYI - the attachment is the Harley recommended method from the instructions that come with the pigtail harness.  Click on it to enlarge.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 09:41:55 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 09:42:50 PM »

Yes, what he said... I have an Ultra.

prstaples1911

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 10:10:18 AM »

So far I think all the folks responding are riding Touring models, not Softails.  That may account for the confusion.

If your dealer installed the H-D brand pigtail, they only come in one length.  Take a look and see if they didn't tie off the excess or route it in such a way as to make it seem too short.

Do you want the connector solidly mounted in an easily accessible location so you can just pop the cap and plug in the charger, or do you want it completely hidden when not in use?  I only ask this because some folks around here are more into looks than they are function.  On my Touring model, I fished the pigtail through a hole in the metal frame gusset plate located directly behind the engine, then mounted it pointing out the right side with 3M moulding tape.  Your frame is set up differently, but there are many other surfaces you could use on a Softie.  IMHO mounting it solidly is much better than just letting the connector hang off the end of the harness.  And if you prepare the surfaces correctly, the moulding tape will do a good job of keeping the connector in place without resorting to wire ties or other methods.  Mine has been hanging in there for about six years with no problems.

Jerry

FYI - the attachment is the Harley recommended method from the instructions that come with the pigtail harness.  Click on it to enlarge.

This was helpful.  The dealer mounted it just ahead of the number 6 in the picture by routing it under that bracket. In this location it rubbed a mark in the tank at the rear curve.  I bought a tank lift kit that I was going to have installed in the Spring. If I lift the tank, the existing mounting point may not be an issue.  If I do not raise the tank I will move it.  The Harley recommended mounting point would be more accessible and should not create a rubbing issue if rigidly mounted.  Plus I would probably put some black electrical tape under it to protect the frame just in case.

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 05:49:44 PM »

mine our  mounted behind the oil tank   have 2 of them
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

prstaples1911

• Junior CVO Member
Alternate mounting location
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 05:19:04 PM »

I rerouted the connecter down through the gap in the battery pan and temporarily zip tied it to a wire below the oil tank.  This solution appears to provide greater access (when the bike is cool due to pipes), is fairly rigid, and does not appear to interfere with anything like the swingarm, tranny, or pipes.  There is not enough slack for it to wander around too much and I would use two ties for the final install.  While it is not entirely tucked out of view, that does not concern me.

Can anyone think of a potential problem with this mounting location?

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member
  • Utah, 2008 Best Trip Ever!

• CVO1: 03 SERK Purdue Gold & Black
    • CVO2: 09 SERG Silver & Black
Re: Where did you mount your battery tender connector?- Update with PICS
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 01:57:20 AM »

That looks as good as anywhere to me. There's not a lot of good places to put one on a softail--actually almost none!
Steve

ozarke

• Full CVO Member
Re: Where did you mount your battery tender connector?- Update with PICS
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 11:48:15 AM »

Mine hangs down behind the oil in the gap in the upper left of your picture.   It was installed by the dealer before I saw the bike and I didn't see it till I did my first full clean job.

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 20 queries.