Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Chrome peeling  (Read 4564 times)

CVOgaree

• Junior CVO Member
  • My 2011 CVO Softail Convertible
Chrome peeling
« on: January 16, 2013, 02:47:10 PM »

I am looking for some replacement mirrors for my FLSTS2. The ones I have are peeling. How wonderful, my Warranty expired last October. New ones are around 200 bucks & they said they will peel as well. Any ideas out there?

Here is an update on my mirrors. HD warranted the defective ones & replaced them. I am a happy camper.
Now to address my "low fuel" indicator notifying me when there is half a tank of fuel.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 08:33:51 PM by CVOgaree »
Maple Metallic & Roman Gold with Burnished Copper Graphics
Vance/Hines slip-ons, 84 LED's amber, Cee Baily x4 windshield. New factory mirrors replaced by HD. LED tail lights.

ultrarider123

Re: Chrome peeling
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 02:53:26 PM »

Chrome on my kickstand tab is cracking and the tab is flimsy...flimsiest I've ever experienced on an HD product.  Had dealer look at and will get replacement.  Otherwise, no chrome issues.  Sorry you are having issues with your mirrors.  You may want to call HD customer service even if you are out of warranty and if you have a low mileage scooter.  Couldn't hurt to ask about it.....my two cents.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 10:08:47 PM by Ultrarider1 »

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 04:49:21 PM »

I am looking for some replacement mirrors for my FLSTS2. The ones I have are peeling. How wonderful, my Warranty expired last October. New ones are around 200 bucks & they said they will peel as well. Any ideas out there?
What's going on with the quality :-X

\I had a crash bar replaced due to dents under the chrome, replacement was just as bad.
The chrome was so thin you could see pit marks in the tube and where the welds are on the bottom brackets chrome didn't take and would have rusted in a short time.

Pointed this out to the service dept and told them not to worry about another one, I will get it re-chromed.
Got it re-chrome at my cost to save the disappointment on another replacement, looks 100% better and all welds being buffed the chrome looks like it should on a premium product.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 04:57:09 PM by Aussie »

cpm83

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 07:48:03 AM »

I have the ugly little white corrosion spots on the forward side of my 2012 CVO mirror posts.  I keep polishing and they keep coming back.  You would expect better for a $30000.00 motorcycle!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 01:40:40 PM »

It doesn't really matter if your warranty is expired or not.  I see you live in Florida.  Since you live within a thousand miles of the ocean, Harley would have blown you off and blamed the "salt air" and other environmental factors for the problem.  If you think I'm kidding, try reading some of the many threads on the site about pitting and peeling chrome.  This is not a new thing, Harley's cheap Chinese chrome has been pitting and peeling for at least a decade.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Sk8convict

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 01:57:58 PM »

Both of my mirrors are being replaced under warranty for the chrome pitting.
Had no problems with our warranty lady here.
It's a 2011.

Mach

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 09:08:35 AM »

Left mirror post replaced under warranty for chrome pitting.

TxDrifter

• Junior CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 12:07:30 PM »

I've already had my mirrors replaced within six months of purchase, so under warranty.  One of the mirrors is already doing it again.  The center console had a bubble pop up on it and it was replaced at the same time.  The console is fine.  What is annoying is that my wife's Fat Boy is older (2006) and has definitely seen more weather and such even before we got it and the chrome on it is fine.  What is even worse is that one of the dealers said it was strange and that they don't see it a lot.  He didn't even mention saltwater and thought I might have had fertilizer stored near it, which I don't.

Right mirror before replacement.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 12:13:08 PM by TxDrifter »

TxDrifter

• Junior CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 12:09:41 PM »

Left Mirror before replacement.

TxDrifter

• Junior CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 12:14:17 PM »

Console before replacement.

CVOgaree

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 07:24:05 PM »

I've already had my mirrors replaced within six months of purchase, so under warranty.  One of the mirrors is already doing it again.  The center console had a bubble pop up on it and it was replaced at the same time.  The console is fine.  What is annoying is that my wife's Fat Boy is older (2006) and has definitely seen more weather and such even before we got it and the chrome on it is fine.  What is even worse is that one of the dealers said it was strange and that they don't see it a lot.  He didn't even mention saltwater and thought I might have had fertilizer stored near it, which I don't.

Right mirror before replacement.
Ditto..Mine look exactly the same. Sent pics to HD, waiting for reply. Dealer said if I got replacement, the same would happen. Thinkin' bout 3rd party mirrors.
Vance/Hines slip-ons, 84 LED's amber, Cee Baily x4 windshield. New factory mirrors replaced by HD. LED tail lights.

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Softail Breakout - Black Diamond & Molten Silver
    • CVO2: Gone but not forgotten: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible - Roman Gold & Maple Metallic
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 03:17:14 AM »

The stock mirrors suck.  Have the dealer replace with one from the Harley catalog.  The one i chose was on a CVO Road King a few years ago and i think its being used on the domestic CVO Breakout this year.  Much, much better.  My dealer had to replace mine 4 times.  Annoying, but they stood by their product and made good.
The only difference between a mad man and myself is that I am not mad.  I'm not suffering from insanity, I rather enjoy it.

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 07:54:50 AM »

here is what i plan on doing if mine start to peel/bubble etc .....
I'm going to send them out and have them re chrome .
the plating shop my Indy uses i think Carry's either 1 or 2  warranty on chrome 
sure would be allot cheaper  re chroming them and a better finish for sure then spending $200.00+
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

CVOgaree

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 09:06:37 AM »

I found chrome peeling off my grips plus the mirror posts. Took pics. Does anyone know the easiest way to contact HD customer service to send pics?

Here is an update on my mirrors. HD warranted the defective ones & replaced them. I am a happy camper.
Now to address my "low fuel" indicator notifying me when there is half a tank of fuel.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 08:38:20 PM by CVOgaree »

CVOgaree

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 09:09:49 AM »

here is a pic of my grips.......I am very vigilant when it comes to detailing.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.304 seconds with 24 queries.