Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FLSTS2 mirror posts chrome peeling  (Read 1794 times)

CVOgaree

• Junior CVO Member
  • My 2011 CVO Softail Convertible
FLSTS2 mirror posts chrome peeling
« on: January 23, 2013, 08:34:44 PM »

I tried to get HD to replace my 2011 FLSTSE2 mirrors with no success so far. Resolved issues with Neutral light, & Clock issues at my 10k service. Also I replaced original windshield with Cee Baily x4. I would like to share my experiences with other FLSTSE2 owners as they might get their issues resolved as well.

Good news from me........I recently received notice from my Dealer that HD is replacing my original mirrors because of the peeling. They offered me two options & said they will eventually peel again & that I only get one replacement set. I should be getting them installed soon & will post when I get them. Remember "the loudest squeaks will get the grease! BTW my clock has re-set back to default after dealer service.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 10:21:27 AM by grae51 »
Maple Metallic & Roman Gold with Burnished Copper Graphics
Vance/Hines slip-ons, 84 LED's amber, Cee Baily x4 windshield. New factory mirrors replaced by HD. LED tail lights.

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Softail Breakout - Black Diamond & Molten Silver
    • CVO2: Gone but not forgotten: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible - Roman Gold & Maple Metallic
Re: FLSTS2 mirror posts chrome peeling
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 03:10:51 AM »

I had the same problems with my mirrors.  Had to replace them every 2-3 months.  The dealer cheerfully replaced them 4 times until i finally said, give me another set from the Harley catalog.  Whoever supplies that particular mirror ought to be shot.  I've had no problems with the new ones since.

I also had chrome peeling issues on the foot shifter which they replaced no problem.  You definitely need to get your dealer to step up cause Harley will make good on it.
The only difference between a mad man and myself is that I am not mad.  I'm not suffering from insanity, I rather enjoy it.

CVOgaree

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 08:52:38 AM »

Thanx for your info. Nice to hear there is hope for me. I noticed yesterday chrome peeling from the center of my handle grips also. I took some pics. Would you recommend going thru my Dealer or Corporate Customer Service?
Vance/Hines slip-ons, 84 LED's amber, Cee Baily x4 windshield. New factory mirrors replaced by HD. LED tail lights.

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Softail Breakout - Black Diamond & Molten Silver
    • CVO2: Gone but not forgotten: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible - Roman Gold & Maple Metallic
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 02:07:52 PM »

Thanx for your info. Nice to hear there is hope for me. I noticed yesterday chrome peeling from the center of my handle grips also. I took some pics. Would you recommend going thru my Dealer or Corporate Customer Service?
Try to go thru the dealer first, they need to know its a known problem that is covered by warranty.  If they give you a runaround, then go to Harley.  The reality is that its going to happen again with those same mirrors.
The only difference between a mad man and myself is that I am not mad.  I'm not suffering from insanity, I rather enjoy it.

dcigar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLSTSE2
    • CVO2: 1996 FXSTC
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 06:25:43 PM »

have not had any problems with the chrome, perfect everywhere after 2 years

cpm83

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 06:37:05 PM »

My mirror post is pitting also.  :(

CVOgaree

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 09:17:02 PM »

I have purchased a set of Arlen Ness mirrors to replace the originals till I settle this issue.
Received Mirrors........Now I can see why he sold them!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 10:26:49 AM by grae51 »

CVOgaree

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 12:19:00 PM »

I tried to get HD to replace my 2011 FLSTSE2 mirrors with no success so far. Resolved issues with Neutral light, & Clock issues at my 10k service. Also I replaced original windshield with Cee Baily x4. I would like to share my experiences with other FLSTSE2 owners as they might get their issues resolved as well.

Guess what? After one week, my clock decided to go back to it's default. I will give up & use my Timex!
Bought Arlen Ness mirrors to replace the chrome-peeling originals. It turns out bleeding the hydraulic clutch made finding neutral a breeze. Now a new problem......my grips are peeling chrome, even when I wipe down periodically.
Anyone having grip issues?

jjohn581

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 conv
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 01:51:06 PM »

It is a PIA to find neutral sometimes, I'll try bleeding the clutch.

CVOgaree

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 06:58:26 PM »

I am pleased to announce that HD has replaced my peeling mirrors, but said that this is the "end". If they peel again no more replacements. They took pics of my peeling grips with no results so far.

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 20 queries.