Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Gas mileage after dyno tune  (Read 5821 times)

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
Gas mileage after dyno tune
« on: January 26, 2013, 09:25:23 PM »

I have a '12 SESG with a TTS Mastertune that I had dynotuned a couple months ago.  Before the tune, I rode it several hundred miles on a canned map that hd_dude (Jim) provided, and it ran pretty well.  Since getting it dynotuned, gas mileage dropped to 31-32 mpg.  :'( :'(  I've checked the tire pressures, which are good. 

It never did get good gas mileage;  averaged about 38 mpg when new, with 44 mpg being the best I ever got.  Got about 37-38 with the canned map.  I tend to be a little heavy handed.  ::)

Has anyone else noticed a big change in mpgs after a dynotune?  I was hoping the gas mileage would get better, not worse.

I suspect the A:F ratio is a little lean, because I've noticed a little backfiring on decel, and the oil temps are running 10-20 degrees hotter than before (but not nearly as hot as it ran stock).

Thanks,

Dan

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Gas mileage after dyno tune
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 02:43:29 AM »

Mine got worse after tuning also.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 02:45:13 AM »

well you are adding more gas,,, 8)

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 12:13:11 PM »

look at the map - is it running closed loop most of the time? or open loop rich most of the time?

makes a gigantic difference in milage

of course my personal experience is that the throttle position makes the most difference in milage. if i cool my jets i get wayyyyy better milage than if im even sort of hot dogging.

to

Dead_Reckoning

• Elite CVO Member
  • 03 SERK
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 02:17:20 PM »

I have a '12 SESG with a TTS Mastertune that I had dynotuned a couple months ago.  Before the tune, I rode it several hundred miles on a canned map that hd_dude (Jim) provided, and it ran pretty well.  Since getting it dynotuned, gas mileage dropped to 31-32 mpg.  :'( :'(  I've checked the tire pressures, which are good. 

It never did get good gas mileage;  averaged about 38 mpg when new, with 44 mpg being the best I ever got.  Got about 37-38 with the canned map.  I tend to be a little heavy handed.  ::)

Has anyone else noticed a big change in mpgs after a dynotune?  I was hoping the gas mileage would get better, not worse.

I suspect the A:F ratio is a little lean, because I've noticed a little backfiring on decel, and the oil temps are running 10-20 degrees hotter than before (but not nearly as hot as it ran stock).

Thanks,

Dan

I am thinking "You Tuned it for Performance" di you not? Were you looking for Fuel Economy?
My SERK got 40 to 44, depending on whom i rode with before Dyno Tune.
Now I am in the 35 - 40 Range, depending on whom I ride with. I do have a bigger smile though.

Government is best which governs least.

Power Commander 3 Tuner
Doherty Power PACC with K&N Air Filter
Screamin' EagleĀ® Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner and High-Flow Oil Pump
Headwinds 2" Bullet Passing Lights 50w'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp Kit

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 02:32:06 PM »

If I were guessing, I'd say your tuner set the bike up to run in open loop ALL the time.  A lot of "old school" turners are apt to do that...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 03:01:10 PM »

I had the same issue. My tuner did a amazing job getting me 95HP and 121 TQ with just a SERT and Fatcatz with amazing throttle response and overall fantastic performance. I am thrilled with everything he did with 1 exception, my gas mileage sucks.. I am running between 30-35 mpg pretty much anyway I run. When I am by myself, I could care less. The difference on a couple of bucks in gas really means nothing to me for the performance I am getting with virtually no mods The problem I have id that I ride with my brother in law 90% of the time and he is getting 8 mpg better then me and it is a nuisance that we always have to "get gas" long before he has to.
Looking to talk my brother in law to get a S&S 124 with me so we will both "have it all"..
Alan

hbens

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Candy Cobalt/Starlight Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2012 SESG Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 06:45:45 PM »

My mileage went down with the mods too. I generally get between 32-36 when I ride by myself. I love the acceleration and mileage is simply something to keep tabs on.
When I ride with my wife on and in a pack I am not leading I tend to get 38-40 mpg. My throttle hand has the biggest affect on fuel mileage.  :2vrolijk_21: :huepfenjump3:
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity!

Dragula 2 into 1, S&S 640 EZ start cams pistons (10.8 compression) flywheel and Timken bearing, Vee Twin Racing Stage IV ported heads, K&N air cleaner, Power Vision with WBO2 auto tuner, king tour pak, solo & two up mounts, pass. floor boards, Headwinds spot/turn signal lights, zumo 660 GPS, ssaddlebag guard & pouches, Progress Suspension cartridg

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 07:38:20 PM »

Just did a tune on a 2011 trike (Lambda system) and the more I tuned the worse it got.... Turned out both the O2 sensors were in the wrong pipes... a better tune should mean richer, running cooler, and most cases better mpg and power....

warwick

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 01:30:44 AM »

a better tune should mean richer, .........., and most cases better mpg

Flies in the face of logic IMHO  ;D

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 02:04:01 AM »

...could be your tuner.... :o
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 08:35:24 AM »

I was averaging 42-44 with my passed 131 putting out 130/132.  If I was you I'd go back to your prior tune.   Who did your dyno tune?   You must of instructed tuner for full out power.  :nixweiss:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 08:56:42 AM »

Find a top notch fully trained professional tuner, not the kid at the local Harley shop who got the one day class from DynoJet on how to hook the bike up to the drum and run the machine.  A REAL tuner can give you good cruise economy AND good acceleration and wide open throttle peformance at the same time.  Never forget a basic truth; anyone with the cash or credit can buy a dyno, the dyno company doesn't require proof of competency before selling anyone their machine.  There are a whole lot more dynos out there than there are fully qualified tuners.  There are dyno operators, then there are tuners.  Anyone can be taught to hook a bike up and run the bike through the gears and produce a chart.  Not everyone can be easily taught combustion theory and proper tuning methods. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 10:31:15 AM »

Thanks,

Dan

I see you're in So Cal.  If you can travel a bit north, one of the best tuners in the business is located in Hayward, Ca.  Bob Lobenburg at RC Cycles...  :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 11:07:52 AM »

I see you're in So Cal.  If you can travel a bit north, one of the best tuners in the business is located in Hayward, Ca.  Bob Lobenburg at RC Cycles...  :2vrolijk_21:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 20 queries.