Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: POS SE air filter  (Read 4752 times)

pcr02hd

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: POS SE air filter
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2006, 09:48:36 PM »

Just got mine from Eastern Performance Cycle on ebay for $49.99 with free shippping.

Check here it is a buy now with 2 1/2 days left.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/K-N-REPLACEMENT-AIR-FILTER-FOR-HARLEY-HD-0800-10110557_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ10064QQhashZitem140026431599QQihZ004QQitemZ140026431599QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Big thanks to all for the "Roll Your Own" SE Air Cleaner thread.
Saved me from making the mistake with the SE filter and the chrome back plate looks great also.

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2006, 10:42:02 PM »

Just ordered mine... thanks for the tip and all the "Roll your own" gang!  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] ;)

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2006, 09:43:00 PM »

They are junk. When I pulled mine out (stage I "upgrade") to replace it with a K&N at about 5,000 miles it was the same way.......... holes, holes and holes!! :o

justgary

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2006, 11:15:31 PM »

I too am having problems with the stock SE filter.  I have had the blue one replaced with the black one (make the dealer waranty it for me).  However I am looking to go with a different filter.  I see everyone is talking about the K&N filter but has anyone used the Zippers filter.  How does it compair to the K&N.
                                        Gary

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2006, 12:22:05 AM »

Zippers has 2 I like the larger one and have it on both bikes.   Seems if you look closely at it that it resembles a K&N.  In K&N's tests the Zippers was rated top of the heap.

-harry
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2006, 08:33:56 AM »

I too am having problems with the stock SE filter.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

C-DEUCE04

• Junior CVO Member
  • Yella Fella
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2006, 11:36:40 AM »

Don't get too carried away snugging those 3. All three of mine cracked and [highlight]eventually I lost the whole damn thing going down the turnpike[/highlight]

:o Holy chit! that must have been a sad sight. A milisecond of turbocharged boosted "free air" riding only to be passed by a bouncing chrome filter.

Bad news is I finally took a good look at my filter in daylight and realized, it's a K&N filter the stealer put on originally, not the POS HD one. So, now what? The K&N doesn't fit right either.

BK

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2006, 02:15:53 PM »

Don't get too carried away snugging those 3. All three of mine cracked and [highlight]eventually I lost the whole damn thing going down the turnpike[/highlight]

:o Holy chit! that must have been a sad sight. A milisecond of turbocharged boosted "free air" riding only to be passed by a bouncing chrome filter.

Bad news is I finally took a good look at my filter in daylight and realized, it's a K&N filter the stealer put on originally, not the POS HD one. So, now what? The K&N doesn't fit right either.

I almost lost my air cleaner cover after I first bought the bike. So I double check everything now. Proper torque and LOC TITE. I use Loc tite on most aplications on the bike. thread sealer on the drain holes. I need to buy stock in this company. :)

Karl.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2006, 02:38:11 PM »

C-DEUCE,

There is something very strange going on if your filter isn't tight against the back plate.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 02:48:05 PM by grc »

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Mikey

• 2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Get the gold, make the rules!

• CVO1: FLHRSEi2 2003
    • CVO2: FLTRUSE 2015
    • Classic Muscle Bikes
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2006, 08:44:51 AM »

After reading about the SE filter I checked mine. It has holes all over. It is less than one year old.
Doesn't K & N have  a life time warranty. It seems H.D. is saving money on a cheap filter and selling engine parts after it fails! Talk about quality and customer service?
GET THE GOLD, MAKE THE RULES!
2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
Limited Edition 100th Anniversary
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/gallery/452_21_04_11_11_12_33.jpg

C-DEUCE04

• Junior CVO Member
  • Yella Fella
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2006, 07:28:36 PM »

Jerry -
My Deuce has the black plastic backing plate. Long story short, I replaced it with a metal Ness backing plate, re-installed the K and N and everything is snug and tight. I guess the black plastic melted or is/was deformed leaving the gap. Thanks for the confirming K&N dimensions - I double check mine and all is good in the hood.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2006, 07:54:36 PM »

After reading about the SE filter I checked mine. It has holes all over. It is less than one year old.
[highlight]Doesn't K & N have  a life time warranty[/highlight]. It seems H.D. is saving money on a cheap filter and selling engine parts after it fails! Talk about quality and customer service?
Actually, I believe that is a 100,000 miles warranty from K&N.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2006, 12:02:40 AM »

Actually, I believe that is a 100,000 miles warranty from K&N.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2006, 03:17:04 PM »

I finally received and installed my K&N filter today.  I'm so dumb.  I had been looking from the back side and the filter looked ok..  Took off today, holes as big as Porthole's and the blue rubber had seperated from the bottom.  Butterfly was quite dirty so I can only imagine how much dirt went thru my motor.  Anybody who thinks the MOCO knows what's best is badly mistaken.   They only know what's good for their profit line.  

fatboyse2

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2006, 08:01:59 PM »

I replaced my stage 1 filter with a K&N about 2 weeks after I bought my bike.  My son used the Stage 1 filter as a frizbee so it was useful (for a while at least).

I saw this at the stealer yesterday and was thinking it might be a nice looking change.  I don't expect it will have much bearing on my dyno runs, but looks cool.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 24 queries.