Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 35

Author Topic: Color & Diamond Cut: And So It Begins  (Read 27063 times)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Color & Diamond Cut: And So It Begins
« Reply #450 on: December 10, 2006, 01:16:11 PM »

I did a quick look for pictures of Mark's bike, but I only had them of the left side. What I'm thinking about is taking the center section of the stock AC cover and using that just to cover filter (see pic below).

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #451 on: December 10, 2006, 01:17:28 PM »

ohhhh, now I understand.
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #452 on: December 10, 2006, 01:25:48 PM »

The problem with the covers is that the only one you can fit over a larger size aftermraket breather/air filter is the stock one. I believe the reason you see a lot guys running the 103 insert over the air cleaner element itself as d00d described is related to this. That's what I did when I ran a Doherty on my pre-Elvis 03 SERK. The H-D air wing air cleaner cover will fit over a Screamin Eagle Breather filter element, but wound not fit over the Doherty Power Pacc. Beagle runs his stock cover over his Doherty unit. This is one of the things that has driven me back to all H-D where ever possible. I just got tired of always having an issue with something that didn't work quite right mixing aftermarket stuff. I know I don't have the best performance, or whatever but what I do have are parts that always fit together and if I lose something I can go to the local H-D shop and buy another.

B B

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #453 on: December 10, 2006, 01:37:20 PM »

I did a quick look for pictures of Mark's bike, but I only had them of the left side. What I'm thinking about is taking the center section of the stock AC cover and using that just to cover filter (see pic below).

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

Yeap, that's definitely one of the alternatives I was considering too.  With the red script in the chrome dome am thinking it might be a good look.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #454 on: December 10, 2006, 01:39:53 PM »

Yeap, that's definitely one of the alternatives I was considering too.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #455 on: December 10, 2006, 01:42:58 PM »

The problem with the covers is that the only one you can fit over a larger size aftermraket breather/air filter is the stock one. I believe the reason you see a lot guys running the 103 insert over the air cleaner element itself as d00d described is related to this. That's what I did when I ran a Doherty on my pre-Elvis 03 SERK. The H-D air wing air cleaner cover will fit over a Screamin Eagle Breather filter element, but wound not fit over the Doherty Power Pacc. Beagle runs his stock cover over his Doherty unit. This is one of the things that has driven me back to all H-D where ever possible. I just got tired of always having an issue with something that didn't work quite right mixing aftermarket stuff. I know I don't have the best performance, or whatever but what I do have are parts that always fit together and if I lose something I can go to the local H-D shop and buy another.

B B

Completely agree with the principle Brian.  Motorcycle aftermarket is not like automotive aftermarket.  Can't just walk in to an Autozone or something like it anywhere in the country and get the common stuff or something else that will work.  

That is a real consideration when making changes even like those I just went through.  In my case all the sensors stay the same.  So the pieces most like to fail are something I could at least hope to find at the dealership.  If the ECM ever craps out I'll have the stock one with it's pretty decent map stored in the saddlebag.  If the air cleaner housing ever falls off I'll just have to limp in somewhere and be glad that FedEx can do overnight orders to anywhere.

There certainly is a greater risk when going with stuff this isn't immediately and readily available over the counter everywhere.  Even if, as hopefully my stuff proves to be, it is stuff that is designed to and does play well together there is the question of "what do you if it breaks on the road."  Sometimes exercising the greater options of the aftermarket end up limiting the options available after the fact.  It's just part of the choices we make......

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #456 on: December 10, 2006, 01:48:24 PM »

Think you could get that script diamond cut? [smiley=nixweiss.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

It is inset and not protruding, so nope.  The red in it might make for a good complementary piece though.  It's all the stuff behind that will bug me though.  And it'd start right out in the open.

Zippers air cleaner housing is a completely functional but pretty basic looking part.  The breathers in the heads are just a couple of plain (read: ugly) chrome nipples that point down.  Hidden behind the air cleaner housing you don't see them.  Lose the football and I'm afraid they'd be sore thumbs.  

This is something Zippers might have put a bit more effort in to actually.  Lots of aftermarket vendors have much more esthetically pleasing ways to accomplish what they're doing here.  What they did was certrainly effective and easy.  But it looks cheap and easy too.  And given their price points it is one of the areas where a little more effort on their part wouldn't have been unwarranted.  

The Bolvine Gigolo!

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • ALL IN A DAYS WORK!
    • CA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG & 2011 Ultra -Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra
    • CVO3: 2013 SERG Custom Atomic Orange/ Galaxy Gray
« Reply #457 on: December 10, 2006, 09:00:43 PM »

Hey! Don
Here's how you make up your mind a Pic with the chrome cover and one with your flamed cover side by side and      DO A POLL !!! One thing about us we"ll make up your mind for you !![smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

Don

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #458 on: December 11, 2006, 12:15:33 AM »

Hey! Don
Here's how you make up your mind a Pic with the chrome cover and one with your flamed cover side by side and      DO A POLL !!! One thing about us we"ll make up your mind for you !![smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

Don

That might not be a bad idea Don.  All three pics one under the other and see what the crowd thinks.  Oh lord, I hope they'd pick right  [smiley=nervous.gif] .

Also.....  I did take the bike out for awhile late afternoon.  The Pill had done its duty and I was feeling better so decided to take advantage of a warm enough but windy day.  Rode it about 90 miles.  It's all seat of the pants stuff of course, but I'm pleased so far.

On the bottom end; there is more of it.  Power band actually feels wider.  Pulling away from a stop is stronger than it was and you gain the torque available at the low more quickly than before.  It was good before.  Now it's better.  Before, for example, the front tire would find air if you caught it right.  Now over a wider range rolling on the front tire will raise with much greater ease.  

Mid range, better thoughout.  Snapping the throttle to go around something on a two lane was good before.  Once the R's climbed above cruise at 2500-2800 and got up a bit more it would pull very well.  Now, however, it would dust its former self in that area and keep pulling farther and harder.  It feels great.  What it feels is confidence inspiring to get around something or just jerk the bike around if you have a mind to.

Top end.  Nothing yet really too much over 5k.  Run it a bit more and will push it all the way through.  As far as it's gone, however, it just keeps pulling with ease.  It leaves you with the impression there will be plenty more to go.

Thundermax and autotune.  It was in the low 50s during the entire time the bike was out.  From it's initial runs until now it starts noticably quicker and easier and idles smoother.  I take this as the system learning its environment more and more all the time.  The bike runs without pops or other decel noise.  When cool it actually smells a bit rich.  Other times you don't notice that.  The system seems to be functioning fine and certainly has the bike feeling smoother and more quickly responsive than it had before.

Despite a few questions discussed before about the machine work itself on the heads everything seems to run and feel quite good.  Can't say if it's as good as expected as I've not pushed it hard enough to know that yet.  Get a few more miles on it and I'll answer that question.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #459 on: December 11, 2006, 02:00:09 AM »

That might not be a bad idea Don.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #460 on: December 11, 2006, 06:25:20 AM »

Don I have the Zippers round chrome air cleaner on Punkin. I will look at the bike today and see if the sensors are in fact peaking at you. I know the small air cleaner will show off more of your very pretty engine.

If I can find the cord for my camera I will take a few pics and post them here for your veiwing pleasure.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #461 on: December 11, 2006, 08:34:21 AM »

Don...Sounds like a report that should be accompanied by a wide grin.  Based upon your hands on work, I think I'm going to use the Zippers Muscle 103 on this years HX project.  Since you've got the rebuild kinks out, why not come do this one.  Got plenty of time since the tins are out for paint and at last check the painter was still drunk.  

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #462 on: December 11, 2006, 08:49:31 AM »

Don...Sounds like a report that should be accompanied by a wide grin.
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #463 on: December 11, 2006, 08:59:40 AM »

hey Brian, probably just needed a drink to steady his hand.

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #464 on: December 11, 2006, 09:17:38 AM »

hey Brian, probably just needed a drink to steady his hand.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 35

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 24 queries.