Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Found a drop of oil under primary last night  (Read 2267 times)

ultrarider123

Found a drop of oil under primary last night
« on: February 05, 2013, 08:06:28 AM »

I'm starting this new topic after researching through the Drive Train heading and finding nothing quite like this.  Rode the bike to work and back yesterday after it sat all last week due to weather.  Total riding yesterday was around 80 miles.  Sometime between my trip home and back out again to town last night, I noticed a small drip on the floor right where the primary would be when the bike is parked.  When I was back in for the evening, I got the flashlight out and while my original determination had the primary gasket leaking, I felt behind the primary and up to the belt drive shaft.  There was quite a bit of "gunk" behind the primary and it was wet on the bottom of the primary.  Looking from the other side, no leaks from the oil tank, transmission or bottom of the crankcase but could see part of the back side of the primary where the "gunk" was located.

Had this once on an 1995 Evo and it was the bottom of the gasket (could see it easy and HD had some gasket placement issues mid '90s).  Dealer replaced and no further issues.  This is different and from what I can determine from some of the other threads, may be a gear shifter seal?  I'm asking here and plan to schedule a visit to SMHD for this Saturday but thought I'd throw this out to our folks, too.  Ginger has just shy of 9K miles on her so she is not even close to being broke in.  A bit miffed that I have a leak this early in her life.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 08:46:32 AM by Ultrarider1 »

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
Re: Found a drop of oil under primary last night
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 10:08:27 AM »

It's a Harley. I had a leak at 10,000 miles and it was my inner seal. Replaced and rode another 40,000 with no leak and sold her.
Bill

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 10:20:54 AM »

Shifter shaft seal leaks are fairly common and oil pan bolts should be checked every 5,000 miles. We don't see pan gasket leaks that often but see them enough.   axil
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

ultrarider123

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 10:55:52 AM »

It's a Harley. I had a leak at 10,000 miles and it was my inner seal. Replaced and rode another 40,000 with no leak and sold her.

Amen.  However, I've been fairly lucky with mine over the years and no leaks except for the mentioned 1995 Ultra.  Guess I got Tues/Wed/Thur built bikes over the years.

Checked all the bolts on the primary cover which is how I found all the gunk on the back side of the primary.  No leaks coming from the oil pan/transmission or crank case so as you stated AXIL, probably shaft seal.  Have appointment with SMHD this Saturday morning to have it checked.  Will report back after work completed or if they have to keep it for anything major.

Thanks for the feedback brothers.

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 12:08:42 PM »

Maybe it's just a coincidence... but I think there's a couple pages stuck in the Harley Service tech manuals across the nation in regards to the 10,000 service.  I know of two bikes (one of them mine) that have returned from the 10,000 service only to develop a small drip from what sounds like the same area.  Both bikes ended up burning their clutches before we could get them re-checked at the shop.  Second go around and everything was fine.   8)
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 07:24:41 PM »

Howard, read what's going on with your sweet ride, from what you described around the belt drive, as the build up of crud. That would suggest to be most likely the point of the seepage, being a shaft seal there dirt would stick to the oil and absorb it to the point it won't hold any more "hence a drip". I'd be inclined to focus on the seal area.
As a sudjestion, presher wash the area and whip it down with a clean rag (DRY) the best you can. Once done,..
If you have the means get the rear wheel off the ground, start the motor and put in gear, let it run for 5/10 min.
Shut it down and check around that area again. "COUTION YOU DON'T BURN YOUR SELF" on pipes. Your next thing is if it is a seal "why did it start to leek". You will need to check the shaft if there is a grove on the shaft surface
where the seal was seated on the shaft....if you do find a grove,(you may need a torch and mirror) to check the shaft. The torch you shine on the shaft as you look at the shaft through the mirror, this will bring up and help you see any imperfection on the shaft (ie)pitting or grove. If the leek is from there and you can not see any fault with the shaft, regardless rub the shaft down with a fine grit cloth (polish up). When re-fixing the new seal ("do not") re seat the seal in the same place as the old one. The seal dose not have to be completely bottomed out in the casing by doing this you are repositioning the new seal on a new unworn part of the shaft, a small bit of blue locktite around the seal body will hold it in place. External seals gather dirt, the dirt in-beds into the rubber of the seal then starts working as an abrasive and scoring in to the shaft then it starts to weep more dirt builds up to the oil more abrasive scoring to the shaft ....given time rubber could cut a steel shaft in half. Do hope it's something more simple. All the best

ultrarider123

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 10:33:15 PM »

Pete, you musta been watching me on a spy sat this afternoon (evening for you).  Washed it good and inspected best I could with no lift/jack currently.  Did use a torch (love the use of the Queen's english for flashlight) and from the looks of things, may be the shaft seal. As I still have warranty, I'll let them tackle it this Saturday. Did get a good cleaning out of it anyway

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 12:49:45 PM »

OK ya if warranty covers it, your sitting pretty. Do you have a good relationship with the dealer? I do know from working in shops dealers don't like warranties. It ties up their shop, their men and paper work. Thy want it out on the bubble. You probably already know all this, just make sure your satisfied thy did it right and keep an eye on it for a good month or so Howard for any sign of releekage. Just a bit of food for thought mate. Hope all is well.

PS. Ask them to check the shaft for any fault, and their thought as to the reason it would start to leek!!! see what thy say.

ultrarider123

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 09:03:34 AM »

Well, here's the story from my Saturday dealer visit.  Took Ginger to the dealer Saturday morning.  After about 2 hours of visiting, buying (can't go into a HD dealership and NOT buy sumtin), walking around and smoking a good cigar, service manager came out and said they could not find a leak anywhere from the shaft or primary.  I knew the primary wasn't leaking but was a bit surprised that the shaft seal wasn't leaking.  From what he said, there is a transmission vent in that area and it may have "burped" and caused a bit of fluid.  They cleaned it up, rode it for about 20 miles and let it sit for about 45 minutes to see if anything came back (just in case they were wrong about the shaft seal....) with no leaks.  They remounted my saddlebag amp, checked my kickstand (couple other issues I had) and I rode home with a side trip to Gander Mountain to purchase a couple new firearms.  Got one for me (like I needed another gun) and a new one for my wife.  As for the bike, no leaks so far and believe me, I'm keep an eye on it.

Did purchase a set of the Custom Dynamics turn signals LED lights (with the halo white/yellow turn).  LOVE 'EM.  Thanks Glenncarp.  Didn't take any photos but here's the link to Glenncarp's install and except his being a RD and my SG, the results are the same and work great.
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=81001.0
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 09:06:10 AM by Ultrarider1 »

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 07:20:04 PM »

Well that's good news Howard for you and Ginger. It all turned out good for both of you, you got some peace of mind and Ginger got some new mods :2vrolijk_21: What were the new shooters you got?

ultrarider123

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 10:30:42 PM »

Sig P238 and a Ruger SR9C. Love the Ruger. Wife loves the Sig. Look forward to running a box of shells through them both this weekend

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 02:40:40 PM »

Sig P238 and a Ruger SR9C. Love the Ruger. Wife loves the Sig. Look forward to running a box of shells through them both this weekend

Howard, I'm happy Ginger's check-up came out so good, but...

:jack:

Lol.. And you started this thread.   :D :P

Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

ultrarider123

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 02:56:53 PM »

Howard, I'm happy Ginger's check-up came out so good, but...
 :jack:
Lol.. And you started this thread.   :D :P

But, but.....it's all Pete's fault....he asked... :2vrolijk_21: 

Still not sure about the leak deal as of yet and their explanation.  Been doing a little research and haven't found exactly where the transmission vents.  Nothing dropped since Saturday (and believe me, I've been watching).

Thanks for keeping (attempting) to keep us in line, Judy.  Hey  :jack: How's the new chopped tour pack?  ;D ;)

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 03:33:30 PM »

Newer Bikes vent in the middle, the rubber hose. Older ones was on the primary side.

:bananarock: :bananarock:

Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 07:57:38 PM »

But, but.....it's all Pete's fault....he asked... :2vrolijk_21: 

Still not sure about the leak deal as of yet and their explanation.  Been doing a little research and haven't found exactly where the transmission vents.  Nothing dropped since Saturday (and believe me, I've been watching).

Thanks for keeping (attempting) to keep us in line, Judy.  Hey  :jack: How's the new chopped tour pack?  ;D ;)

My parts for it are arriving everyday.  I'm thinking everything I ordered should be here by the weekend and then I'm gonna be able to put it together and post the finished pictures!  It is gonna be awesome!  Stay tuned..  :P
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 20 queries.